Don't miss menu items

suec12

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers but have sailed HAL only one other time several years ago. We will be on the Rotterdam in a few weeks and I'm wondering what are some of the favorite menu items of frequent HAL patrons. We will be in the MDR, not speciality restaurants. Thanks!

My favorites are schnitzel in the Lido at lunch, liver & onions in the MDR for dinner. The French Onion soup is very good as well. And I always have least one Dive-In Dog a cruise, and cane never get enough of the fruit sorbets at the ice cream bar. The meringue and peanut butter cookies at the ice cream bar are very more-ish as well. And after the first night, the waiters know to bring me extra wafer cookies in the MDR with my daily ice cream dessert.

The Dive-In burger, cooked to order.

You don't have to select from the choices on the menu, but rather can look at the ingredients in the various selections, and combine them as you like. If they have it, they can pile it on!

HAL does a very good job with liver and onions which shows up at least once per cruise - a traditional dish that does have its fans and HAL's earns their loyalty. It is typically a very nice combo of sweet and tender liver, onions, bacon, potato pancake and spinach.

The fruit soups which I understand aren't as prevalent as before; however, in April on Rotterdam, at least three soups (two hot and one cold, usually fruit such as blueberry) were available in MDR each night. Sometimes, I request one of the cold soups for dessert!

Love the Key Lime Pie and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie. If you don't care for loaded calories or super sweet desserts, you may not enjoy these choices.

Definitely order the 3 bean chili and chocolate cake from room service. Delicious.

My son loves the omelets, which are made-to-order in the Lido. Try to get there early; otherwise, you endure a long line. They used to serve guava juice which was yummy, but I haven't seen it on our last couple cruises. We've asked for it and received blank stares in return. I guess we need to go to the front desk to ask during our next cruise.

I don't eat liver and onions on a regular basis, but do enjoy it from time to time. Must say, if you are a fan of liver and onions you will certainly enjoy it served in the MDR. It was prepared to perfection.

We also enjoy lunch from the dive...nothing better. The cookies by the ice-cream station are so-o--o good, and just so easy to walk by during the day and take one or two.

Don't forget the Rotterdam also has NY Style Pizza. It's a totally separate venue out on the aft Lido deck, outdoors. They will custom make a pizza for you any way you like it. You can select the cook of the crust, veggies, meats, cheeses, oil, and extras of anything. Just like the Dive-In, they give you a pager and when your pizza is done, they beep you. The pizza is about 10" diameter. Delicious.

....... liver & onions in the MDR for dinner.

HAL does a very good job with liver and onions which shows up at least once per cruise - a traditional dish that does have its fans and HAL's earns their loyalty. It is typically a very nice combo of sweet and tender liver, onions, bacon, potato pancake and spinach.

I actually check the dinner menu every day so I know when they're serving liver and onions. On one cruise (before I started checking) I happened to make a PG reservation on the liver-and-onions night and therefore I missed it. NEVER AGAIN!!

DW loves the way I make liver and onions, but after reading the comments about this dish here, we will make sure she doesn't miss it on our upcoming Eurodam sailing.

Is it typically offered at least once per sailing?

In the MDR, if they're serving short ribs in any form, get it. Delicious. The lamb dishes are also very good. The cold fruit soups (usually one per evening) are very good and you can order one for dessert if you wish.

Absolutely agree about New York Pizza. The pizza there is delicious (Lido pizza, not so much). While people always rave about the Dive In burgers, I have tried them several times and they just don't seem like all that to me, and the wait can be pretty lengthy to get your lunch (you get one of those restaurant buzzer things, so you can wander off, grab a table and some beverages). Their fries are excellent though, and the taco bar that they have in front of the Dive In is quite nice.

Also agree that the omelet station in the Lido is awesome for breakfast. I do not recommend MDR for breakfast. Super slow service. My Swedish pancakes were delicious, but I was sitting there the entire time thinking I could've had an omelet or fresh pancakes or whatever by now in the lido.

Room service is also a good option and is (for the most part) free.

Dive-In meatless "Garden Burger" is addicting - grilled portabello mushroom with a stack of veggies and sauce on a full grain bun. Yum. Can't remember what name it goes by, but they describe it on the menu.

Making a plate of nachos from the extensive Mexican buffet is always a treat too.

Eggs benedict in the MDR. Never had to wait long for them.

Omlettes in the Lido

Dogs and fries at Dive-in

French onion soup in MDR

Filet mignon and lobster tail

Halibut (had that when we were in Alaska, wonderful)

Dive-In meatless "Garden Burger" is addicting - grilled portabello mushroom with a stack of veggies and sauce on a full grain bun. Yum. Can't remember what name it goes by, but they describe it on the menu.

'The Freestyle' ;):)

I haven't seen Banoffee Pie in a while, but that was always a winner - Bananas-sticky toffee-caremal layer and whipped cream.

Every once in a while they serve their version of an Indonesian "rice table" (Rijstaffel)- which is a nice change of pace.