Westerdam: Best Places to Observe Wildlife

rjmccaw

Hi All-- We're looking forward to our first cruise, in just 2 weeks! I've been looking at the Deck Plans for the Westerdam, and it seems that the Bridge, the Crow's Nest, the Deck 10 Observation Deck, and the Deck 11 Sports Deck should be good places for wildlife/sealife viewing. Are some of these better than others? I imagine the top decks can get bouncy and windy, so maybe they're not the best choices? Are there other good viewing areas--for example, is the Promenade Deck good for that sort of thing, or would gawkers there be in the way of people who are walking? Thanks....

The promenade deck is a great vantage spot. The open area all the way aft behind the lido/buffet is another. As you said, upper decks can be windy, but may be worth trying. On Glacier Bay day you have many more options as they open the forward decks (4-7?), including deck 4 which leads to the bow. There was a Park Ranger stationed at the point of the bow armed with high power binoculars when I was on in June and he was very willing to share his knowledge/passion of the area and the critters that live there.

We like the aft decks high up, but also the promenade deck, where we walk so we can see both sides.

The promenade deck is wide enough for everyone and has the advantage of being as close to the water as you can get outside (watch for otters floating by on their backs).

The bow is OK, but really cold in the wind, absolutely no cover or shelter.

Your first day out is a sea day, so a good time to explore and figure out the areas around the ships you like and are comfortable with. I'd say move around and see everything from different angles, high and low.