Carefree Birding on select ships. Has anybody done this?

Birdnutty

We are going on a cruise that goes to Central America. Being an avid birder, I'd like to take advantage of ports that have some of the best birding in the world. In doing some research, I see there's a company called a Carefree Birding that is on the ship, and runs birding related shore excursions, etc.

Has anyone traveled with them? I see they have cruises booked on Celebrity and have traveled with RCCL and Carnival. In all my cruises, I have never even heard of them before and hope someone has some insight.

We did the Jan 27th 2018 11 night cruise on Reflection with the Carefree birding group. It was our first trip to Caribbean and we visited Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Panama, Costa Rica and Cartagena Colombia. We got 147 life birds on our 5 1/2 days birding with group of 27 plus 4 leaders (Kevin Karlson and Dale were additional) plus local guide(s) each day. We were off ship early each day and returned around 3pm. We ate as a group in one area of MDR. It was a good introduction to Caribbean birding for us. There are some videos on YouTube under Carefree Birding. This Dec we are cruising to Southern Caribbean and have booked local birding guides on 4 of the islands.

We did the Jan 27th 2018 11 night cruise on Reflection with the Carefree birding group. It was our first trip to Caribbean and we visited Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Panama, Costa Rica and Cartagena Colombia. We got 147 life birds on our 5 1/2 days birding with group of 27 plus 4 leaders (Kevin Karlson and Dale were additional) plus local guide(s) each day. We were off ship early each day and returned around 3pm. We ate as a group in one area of MDR. It was a good introduction to Caribbean birding for us. There are some videos on YouTube under Carefree Birding. This Dec we are cruising to Southern Caribbean and have booked local birding guides on 4 of the islands.

Which December cruise have you booked with the neat birding trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was hoping you would see and answer my post! Thank you. I've always wanted to do something like that. Been so tempted to hire local bird guides in some of these wonderful areas, but could never find good references or reviews. How did you find the ones you are using?

Also, since this cruise that we have already booked is a trip for hubby and me for winter relaxation, it would be an issue because hubby's not an avid birder. He goes along for a side trip or two, but total immersion would have him jumping overboard. Do you think the organizers of Carefree on my sailing would let me accompany them on one or two islands for a separate fee?

Which December cruise have you booked with the neat birding trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on Dec 7th Reflection cruise. I booked guides privately (found them by googling BIRDING GUIDE .......... island name) or under tourist info on specific islands.

I was hoping you would see and answer my post! Thank you. I've always wanted to do something like that. Been so tempted to hire local bird guides in some of these wonderful areas, but could never find good references or reviews. How did you find the ones you are using?

Also, since this cruise that we have already booked is a trip for hubby and me for winter relaxation, it would be an issue because hubby's not an avid birder. He goes along for a side trip or two, but total immersion would have him jumping overboard. Do you think the organizers of Carefree on my sailing would let me accompany them on one or two islands for a separate fee?

Several of the birders on our Carefree tour had partners who were not birders so they were singles on our birding outings. I think Carefree has it set up for just the full group that signs up, all the buses were full each day. It wouldn't hurt to ask Linda at Carefree though. They book up fast and we only got on ours due to a cancellation months ahead. Birding pal has few reviews on guides and check out special interest cruising - eco touring & expedition cruising

on cruise critic message boards, there are 2 topics on birding, also just google birding guide in island you are interested in. We have found our guides in St Lucia, Aruba, Curacao and Grenada. Happy birding.

Several of the birders on our Carefree tour had partners who were not birders so they were singles on our birding outings. I think Carefree has it set up for just the full group that signs up, all the buses were full each day. It wouldn't hurt to ask Linda at Carefree though. They book up fast and we only got on ours due to a cancellation months ahead. Birding pal has few reviews on guides and check out special interest cruising - eco touring & expedition cruising

on cruise critic message boards, there are 2 topics on birding, also just google birding guide in island you are interested in. We have found our guides in St Lucia, Aruba, Curacao and Grenada. Happy birding.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a little hesitant to do private in some of the countries that are a title "sketchy", like Columbia and Panama, but I know along with Costa Rica, they have some of the best variety. Hence the desire for a ship based group. I'll have to contact Carefree and see if we can work something out. If not, I'll see if I can get a guide in Costa Rica and at least have one opportunity. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Do you usually end up with a private tour or group when you book with the other companies?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a little hesitant to do private in some of the countries that are a title "sketchy", like Columbia and Panama, but I know along with Costa Rica, they have some of the best variety. Hence the desire for a ship based group. I'll have to contact Carefree and see if we can work something out. If not, I'll see if I can get a guide in Costa Rica and at least have one opportunity. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Do you usually end up with a private tour or group when you book with the other companies?

We have currently booked the local guides for a tour for just the 2 of us. Will be our first private birding tours.