I'm not bothered either way but..........

PrincessPete

Hi, we have just booked a one week Fjord cruise on Silhouette next year. Quite a while since we took a Celebrity cruise so I would be most grateful if regulars can advise the average number of men who would wear an evening suit/bow tie on Evening Chic nights.

As the title says, I'm not bothered whether I need to take one or not but don't want to be the only man wearing one!

Any comments much appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Peter

Hi, we have just booked a one week Fjord cruise on Silhouette next year. Quite a while since we took a Celebrity cruise so I would be most grateful if regulars can advise the average number of men who would wear an evening suit/bow tie on Evening Chic nights.

As the title says, I'm not bothered whether I need to take one or not but don't want to be the only man wearing one!

Any comments much appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Peter

Chic nights are really not formal nights and you will see just about anything from men in tuxedoes to men in polo shirts. This is truly a case that you should wear whatever makes you comfortable. However it is definitely trending toward less formal. If you want to dress up, that's perfect. If not, that's ok too. Many don't wear jackets. For me, it's become a sport coat without a tie. Enjoy your cruise.

I love when my hubby wears his tux, but so few men wear them anymore. Our last Celebrity cruise, I did not see one! ...I agree however, with the above poster...you should wear it if you so desire. There are still some men that wear suits and ties, so I don't think you will feel out of place. Have a great time!

I haven’t said there but I am sure it depends on many things.

I wouldn’t wear one because it isn’t required and I could use the luggage space for other clothes that would be more practical during the rest of the cruise.

We mostly sail in the Caribbean and formal nights were terrible. Had to get dressed for dinner. It was almost useless to shower because the suit would make me sweat more than I normally do. We would go to dinner and I would take off the jacket, put it on the back of my chair and loosen my tie and collar. After dinner I would go to the cabin and change into comfortable cooler clothes to go to the theater or sit at a bar or lounge.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Caribbean cruises are quite different from European ones, especially Northern European cruises which originate in Southampton. Many passengers will be driving there from other parts of Great Britain and the airline restrictions don't apply to them. Many who have cruised P and O, Saga, Cundard, etc., are used to dressing formally. The climate is cooler, too, obviously. You can expect more formal dressing for a Norway cruise than for a Caribbean cruise.

I haven’t said there but I am sure it depends on many things.

I wouldn’t wear one because it isn’t required and I could use the luggage space for other clothes that would be more practical during the rest of the cruise.

We mostly sail in the Caribbean and formal nights were terrible. Had to get dressed for dinner. It was almost useless to shower because the suit would make me sweat more than I normally do. We would go to dinner and I would take off the jacket, put it on the back of my chair and loosen my tie and collar. After dinner I would go to the cabin and change into comfortable cooler clothes to go to the theater or sit at a bar or lounge.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Awww, you poor thing. Seems that the AC on your sailing must have suffered a failure. On most of our Carribean cruises I've had to ADD layers to stay warm in the MDR and theatre at night.

But the OP wasn't asking how WE want to dress on Chic Night. He was asking what percentage of men one would likely see dressed in formal wear. And previous PPs are correct- cruises in the more northerly itineraries will usually see more men in tuxes. But even then, likely not more than 10-15% (as a WAG). As well as gentlemen in suits, blazers, or sport jackets with or without ties, as well as men casually dressed.

I think it somewhat depends on the port. If more people do not fly to the port you will see more formal dress. On our cruises out of South Hampton I noticed more dressed up people, the vast majority were from England. However I did not feel out of place with just slacks and a dress shirt no tie.

We did a Baltic cruise earlier this year and about 1/3 of the men wore tux’s or dress kilts looked lovely.

It must really be dependent on each specific cruise. We also did a Baltic cruise earlier this year and there were nowhere close to 1/3 of the men in tux's or kilts. At most it was 1 out of 15 to 20 men. I haven't seen anything close to 1/3 of the men in formal wear in many years.

I was on the Norwegian Fjords Silhouette cruise that just finished on September 9th and can tell you that there were a very small sampling of men in tuxedos on chic nights. The most common attire on chic night was a suit jacket, and maybe a tie, along with many men in shirts/dress pants without ties.

On the first chic night we were seated next to a 6 top table that had 2 people seated just after we arrived and then two more were seated there in about 10 minutes. The gentleman from the first couple was indeed wearing a tuxedo and the gentleman from the second couple was wearing a polo shirt. None of which seemed to have any impact on their enjoyment of their time together!

I agree that the sailings from Europe differ greatly from the Caribbean sailings. I was on the September 1st Fjords sailing and in general, the passengers dressed a bit nicer ( not fancier) than on the more tropical trips. You will see everything, but will probably see more men in slacks and dress shirts/blazers than you might on tropical sailings. There were some tuxedos and ball gowns but those are so much easier to pack if you are driving rather than flying to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ll correct two previous posts: there weren’t 1/3 men in tux/kilts, or 1 out of 15 or 20 men wearing more formal wear. What I counted, since I love data, is 22.528% of men wore formal wear, 53.586% men wore coat and tie, 38.481% men wore sports jackets without ties, 29.7915% wore long sleeved shirts and no jacket/tie; 38.591% wore a golf shirt and slacks, and 0.0001% (me) wore a speedo and croptop.

I spent a great deal of time collecting that data, so don’t anyone question it.

By the way, if I’m with my wife, she stops me in the SR when I have the speedo on and makes me wear a tie and jacket (and pants to cover the speedo!). I usually wear a jacket on other nights just because I like lots of pockets!!

Den

I’ll correct two previous posts: there weren’t 1/3 men in tux/kilts, or 1 out of 15 or 20 men wearing more formal wear. What I counted, since I love data, is 22.528% of men wore formal wear, 53.586% men wore coat and tie, 38.481% men wore sports jackets without ties, 29.7915% wore long sleeved shirts and no jacket/tie; 38.591% wore a golf shirt and slacks, and 0.0001% (me) wore a speedo and croptop.

I spent a great deal of time collecting that data, so don’t anyone question it.

By the way, if I’m with my wife, she stops me in the SR when I have the speedo on and makes me wear a tie and jacket (and pants to cover the speedo!). I usually wear a jacket on other nights just because I like lots of pockets!!

Den

And some don't understand that the sum of the individual percentages add up to 100%.;)

I'm not sure that there any that wear a true evening suit so you may indeed be the only one.

From my recent first hand experience on the Silhouette in Norway, there were indeed a very small number of men on chic night in an evening suit and bow tie. You won’t be alone but you will stand out among the crowd.