St. Maarten Open For Business

gtaylor

I figured things would be shaping up - but these videos are amazing - if they are entirely post-storm filmed, things are moving a whole lot faster than I could have imagined.

Of course, most news purveyors tended to focus on the bad news: terms like "totally destroyed", "utterly decimated ", "the beach washed away" and the like were commonplace -- with too little recognition of the local spirit which, with encouragement and support of visitors, can show constant day-to-day rebuilding.

So, so great to see our favorite destination on the planet is coming back from such tragedy! We absolutely love the island, its people and the fine beaches that it has to offer. We are looking so forward to visiting it again in April. Can't wait!!!

We're looking forward to returning in March but there is no way all but a few seconds of those are post Maria. For one thing, there are entirely too many touristy looking folks. For another, 99% of the shots show zero damage.

Well, first of all, it is a marketing piece to show how well they are doing, so they aren't going to focus on the damage, but rather the stuff that is rebuilt, repaired and back up and running. I don't disbelieve that that was all shot post-Irma, because I saw nothing that couldn't have been put back in business assuming the building was not damaged beyond repair. Most of those spots may be running on generators and propane cooking, but they are running, and good for them.

I suspect that the "tourist " people seen in the video may be permanent residents: retirees or transplants that have weathered the storm and are out enjoying these spots that have worked hard to reopen.

Thanks Gary for sharing and kudos to the hardworking people of St Marten that are striving to rebuild. I look forward to our visit in January and will be visiting at least a few of these spots for sure.

BobJ

Well, first of all, it is a marketing piece to show how well they are doing, so they aren't going to focus on the damage, but rather the stuff that is rebuilt, repaired and back up and running. I don't disbelieve that that was all shot post-Irma, because I saw nothing that couldn't have been put back in business assuming the building was not damaged beyond repair. Most of those spots may be running on generators and propane cooking, but they are running, and good for them.

I suspect that the "tourist " people seen in the video may be permanent residents: retirees or transplants that have weathered the storm and are out enjoying these spots that have worked hard to reopen.

Thanks Gary for sharing and kudos to the hardworking people of St Marten that are striving to rebuild. I look forward to our visit in January and will be visiting at least a few of these spots for sure.

BobJ

St. Maarten is still listed as our port of call for March 28 on the Viking Sea. Viking Ocean is monitoring the situation according to the emails we receive weekly. I have never been to St Maarten and looking forward to my day in Philpsburg on the Dutch side of the island.

BobJ

I truly hope you're right but I'm afraid you are hallucinating a bit.

Thanks, Gary !! Any one who's ever been to St Maartin, even just 6 or 7 hours we cruisers get, was heartbroken at the damage done to the people, businesses and beaches of our "happy place".

We will be there on the Allure in May, and the Horizon in December 2018. What can we bring, besides lots of money ; ) to infuse into their economy, that will benefit the people of St Maartin ?? Do you know of any organizations and their needs ? I have heard of people bringing suitcases of school supplies to Roatan in Honduras. Any thoughts ?

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the 1st RCCL scheduled to be back in St. Maarten and I am having mixed feelings about this. We have been there several times (including a week long stay) and it is one of our favourite islands, and I want more than anything to see them get the tourist $'s and humanitarian help they need to get their livelihood back. With that said, I can't help but admit I am a little nervous about what to expect. While I always considered St. Maarten one of the safer islands to visit, we were warned when we rented a car during our week long stay that there are areas that tourists should be very careful. I know we won't venture very far this time, and hope that all other cruise passengers play it extra safe during the 1st several months of ships returning. While a lot of income comes from tourism, some who are desperate may be looking at tourists for other reasons and this does scare me a little. Not thrilled to be on the "guinea pig" ship.

We will be on the 1st RCCL scheduled to be back in St. Maarten and I am having mixed feelings about this. We have been there several times (including a week long stay) and it is one of our favourite islands, and I want more than anything to see them get the tourist $'s and humanitarian help they need to get their livelihood back. With that said, I can't help but admit I am a little nervous about what to expect. While I always considered St. Maarten one of the safer islands to visit, we were warned when we rented a car during our week long stay that there are areas that tourists should be very careful. I know we won't venture very far this time, and hope that all other cruise passengers play it extra safe during the 1st several months of ships returning. While a lot of income comes from tourism, some who are desperate may be looking at tourists for other reasons and this does scare me a little. Not thrilled to be on the "guinea pig" ship.

Curious that Grandeur is still scheduled for a December port call while Celebrity (same parent) has cancelled a January 15 port call because they feel the island won't be ready to receive cruise passengers.

We are on Grandeur with a January 28 call scheduled.

Hopefully, passengers on the first ships stoping will give comprehensive reports.

I have been to St.Maarten numerous times since 1994 and never feared for my safety.I am sure there are areas that may not be safe but that is everywhere on the planet .

Thank you for these you tube links. As a land vacationer, as well as cruiser, to St. Maarten, I am heart broken over the destruction to this beautiful island and its lovely people. Just there at the Sonesta Maho (again) this summer. We love that hotel, as well as the staff.

I would love to think that the island is all ready to accept visitors by the beginning of Dec., but who is fooling who. Cruise ships are going to dock 3000 to 5000 passengers to do what? Shop at Diamond International? Images of children begging at the docks is not how I want to see this lovely island. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but docking at some very poor islands years ago, it was very common to have children begging for food/money at the dock.

The few dollars that will trickle down to people in Dec / Jan. from cruisers, is not going to help rebuild this island. France and the Netherlands have committed themselves to help rebuild this island..let's give them a chance. Who visits people while they are doing major construction in their home? If you want to go to St. Maarten to volunteer to rebuild... great, or like me donate to a St. Maarten charity for food and supplies.

I am a cheerleader for St. Maarten, but a realistic one. They are a strong resilient people, but let's give them enough time to come back and be proud when we return..not pitied. And let's also hope the USA supports Puerto Rico to rebuild, too.

I have been to St.Maarten numerous times since 1994 and never feared for my safety.I am sure there are areas that may not be safe but that is everywhere on the planet .

I agree for all previous visits, but this is a whole different situation. It's not the same place it was pre-Irma and will take time for the majority of the island to get back on their feet. We will get off and spend tourist $'s, but not sure we will be venturing as far as we would have had this not happened.

The few dollars that will trickle down to people in Dec / Jan. from cruisers, is not going to help rebuild this island. France and the Netherlands have committed themselves to help rebuild this island..let's give them a chance.

Who visits people while they are doing major construction in their home?

You are massively discounting the huge amount of money in port fees they get with each cruise ship.

You’re also forgetting the fact that the business in that area is tourist based. Without tourists the employees aren’t getting paid. Without money the individuals aren’t going to be doing very well.

If my plain old normal house has damage I might not invite people over, but if my business is a bnb, and it’s what I derive my income from, the moment one bedroom is ready, I want people to stay. Even if it means I’m sleeping in a tent outside.

Without tourists the employees aren’t getting paid. Without money the individuals aren’t going to be doing very well.

France and Netherland have respectively said they will provide "some" compensation to owner and employees affected (similar to unemployement insurance). Sorry, this website is in French, but for your info,, 60% of the resident where not insured:

http://www.soualigapost.com/fr/actualite/17685/argent/rapidit%C3%A9-des-indemnisations-edouard-philippe-prend-aux-mots-les-assurances

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just back from a cruise that was based in St. Martin (Crystal Esprit, a very small ship) and spent two days and a night on the island just before. Toured it thoroughly and wrote this story for Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8225

Happy to answer any questions. IMHO the Dutch side (and I say in the story) is in much better shape than the French side. Plus, an entirely new attraction -- the Rockland Eco-Park, which offers ziplines, chairlift to a mountain top with great views, restaurant/bar, museum and shop -- literally just opened last week. We got a sneak preview and it's marvelous.

Cruise Critic's community has also opened a forum dedicated to questions about islands affected by the hurricanes in the Caribbean; feel free to wander over and check out other reports from St. Maarten. That link is here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1113

Happy to answer any questions --

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

Communication is still spotty, but I will be returning on Grandeur in December, and the tour operator that I have been in contact with has confirmed our tour. The tour company is Island OC4, and although we might not be able to canoe surf, we will be doing some type of water tour. He is based at LeGallion Beach, which is very close to Orient Beach. Once I get back, I will post what I have seen, but if anyone would like specific information, I will see what I can find.

His tour company is not booked through the cruise lines, so he is more dependent on land tourism, so this is an opportunity to help someone that might be overlooked until the hotels are up and running. He is optimistic about the future, so I am also.

Look for my posts in late December.

Regards,

Mike

Hi, just back from a cruise that was based in St. Martin (Crystal Esprit, a very small ship) and spent two days and a night on the island just before. Toured it thoroughly and wrote this story for Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8225

Happy to answer any questions. IMHO the Dutch side (and I say in the story) is in much better shape than the French side. Plus, an entirely new attraction -- the Rockland Eco-Park, which offers ziplines, chairlift to a mountain top with great views, restaurant/bar, museum and shop -- literally just opened last week. We got a sneak preview and it's marvelous.

Cruise Critic's community has also opened a forum dedicated to questions about islands affected by the hurricanes in the Caribbean; feel free to wander over and check out other reports from St. Maarten. That link is here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1113

Happy to answer any questions --

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

Thanks Carolyn. QQ - is there a way to the top of the Eco Park mountain other than the list?

Communication is still spotty, but I will be returning on Grandeur in December, and the tour operator that I have been in contact with has confirmed our tour. The tour company is Island OC4, and although we might not be able to canoe surf, we will be doing some type of water tour. He is based at LeGallion Beach, which is very close to Orient Beach. Once I get back, I will post what I have seen, but if anyone would like specific information, I will see what I can find.

His tour company is not booked through the cruise lines, so he is more dependent on land tourism, so this is an opportunity to help someone that might be overlooked until the hotels are up and running. He is optimistic about the future, so I am also.

Look for my posts in late December.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you I will be watching for your posts. I'm really interested in how far you can venture away from the cruise port on foot. We would always walk into town the roundabout way - I am curious as to how far inland they have recovered. I love st martin and am hopeful there is good news.

Looks like several of us are on the RCCL GoS cruise visiting on 12/17. I was hoping we could do the tall ship Mercedes or Americas Cup Experience (too windy fo ACE last year) but both are not operating. ACE hopes to be running in January. Another cruiser on the 12/17 GoS thread said the ship operator told them Mercedes not operating for now.