Whats current alcohol in luggage policy ?

phillipahain

Do you carry it on as hand luggage or pack in suitcases?

We've always carried it on in our hand luggage - I'd hate to get separated from it!

The only other line which seems as relaxed on bringing wine on board seems to be P&O

The only other line which seems as relaxed on bringing wine on board seems to be P&O
I was expecting to have to pay corkage on excess carry-on wine on HAL a few weeks ago and that check never occured.

I did pay corkage on 2 of 4 bottles consumed in the restaurant, however.

Interestingly a P&O thread mentions that it is believed that from The New Year They will apply their official guidelines to bringing Alcohol on board.

Perhaps Cunard may do the same . As someone already mentioned Laffers principle with the recently increased prices.

I was expecting to have to pay corkage on excess carry-on wine on HAL a few weeks ago and that check never occured.

I did pay corkage on 2 of 4 bottles consumed in the restaurant, however.

We boarded a HAL ship in Vancouver two years ago. I knew about their restrictive policy but I had no desire to bring on more than two bottles of bubbly anyway. At security, a woman looked at me as if I was a naughty school-child and said: "You have bottles in your hand luggage and you must go over to that desk." So I joined the short queue and the chap at that desk examined our bottles closely to make sure we were not bringing on prohibited alcohol, such as gin or scotch. Then notations were made on a list and I had to sign a form.

Thankfully Cunard does not put us through such childish manoeuvres.

We boarded a HAL ship in Vancouver two years ago. I knew about their restrictive policy but I had no desire to bring on more than two bottles of bubbly anyway. At security, a woman looked at me as if I was a naughty school-child and said: "You have bottles in your hand luggage and you must go over to that desk." So I joined the short queue and the chap at that desk examined our bottles closely to make sure we were not bringing on prohibited alcohol, such as gin or scotch. Then notations were made on a list and I had to sign a form.

Not yet.......;)

• 1 month later...

We sailed Celebrity out of Vancouver and had the same situation. However the table was so far from the security scanners, that we just walked by. No one follows you to make sure you report!

We always enjoy an afternoon Gin and Tonic on our balcony, we normally pack a bottle in a suitcase

(on a recent HAL cruise this was confiscated had to go and retrieve it from security three day before returning home ) though I don't remember taking it back home!!

Not yet.......;)

Totally agree. The percived "abuse" by the take as much as you like brigade, will end this unofficial Cunard benefit.

Think a January 2018 announcement, prior to the World Cruises, with an implementation around June.

The minority again spoiling for the majority?

Totally agree. The percived "abuse" by the take as much as you like brigade, will end this unofficial Cunard benefit.

Think a January 2018 announcement, prior to the World Cruises, with an implementation around June.

The minority again spoiling for the majority?

I could not agree with you more at your comment, I think it is a two way problem, the price Cunard charge for soft drinks, beers and spirts are a scandal, but the amount some passengers bring on ship at ports of call are also a scandal. Cunard are in business to give a service and make a profit. If they put a ban on passengers taking drink onboard, that would mean they would sell more drink at the bars, would that mean they could charge less for the drink. I think not.:rolleyes:

I could not agree with you more at your comment, I think it is a two way problem, the price Cunard charge for soft drinks, beers and spirts are a scandal, but the amount some passengers bring on ship at ports of call are also a scandal. Cunard are in business to give a service and make a profit. If they put a ban on passengers taking drink onboard, that would mean they would sell more drink at the bars, would that mean they could charge less for the drink. I think not.:rolleyes:

The perception on price points, if or not scandalous, is down the individual. For my part, the prices of cocktails in the Commodore Club, and a bottle of wine in the Kings/Lido, are quite acceptable. One is on a vacation, therefore the actual spend is not of such great import.

The perception on price points, if or not scandalous, is down the individual. For my part, the prices of cocktails in the Commodore Club, and a bottle of wine in the Kings/Lido, are quite acceptable. One is on a vacation, therefore the actual spend is not of such great import.

This is one good thing about Cruise Critics , it allows us to express ones view.;p

I will be taking my first cruise next year with my husband. Being able to take a bottle or two of wine or spirits to enjoy the occasional drink on our balcony is certainly a plus. But I also plan to work my way, at a measured pace, through a selection of the cocktails on offer. The laws of economy tend to take a bit of a bashing on holiday or it isn't a holiday (for me at any rate).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app