Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

Maybe someone is seeking a combination that isn't offered on the menu - maybe they want their fettucine alfredo with ground beef, so they order a burger (because that's going to be more accurate than if the waiter tries to have the kitchen put the two together).

Maybe someone is on the fence regarding two entrees, and since it's flat-rate/pre-paid/whatever, they can just order both.

Maybe my wife wants a salmon or shrimp dish (because of the flavors she enjoys), but she needs more protein (she's lost 119 pounds in 18 months, partly through a high-protein meal plan, and if she doesn't eat enough protein, she gets grouchy, and YOU don't want that to happen, as she's a redhead), so she orders a second dish with the intent to focus on the protein found in that dish.

Maybe they just want it because they walked a lot of steps in the cold on their Alaska hiking excursion, and they know their caloric burn was way higher than a normal day.

Maybe it's none of your business.

bears repeating

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge. How did that ever become the norm just because one is on a ship? I always thought that people who want multiple entrees, desserts, whatever, would frequent buffets (land or sea) where that is expected.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.

Oh good, just when we were running out of self righteousness.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are so ridiculously outspoken on the internet about what they think is "right" or "healthy", when you know that they would never say a word in a person to person situation.

It has never occurred to me to order more than one entree, but my goodness it's also never occurred to me to care if someone else does!

It never ceases to amaze me how people are so ridiculously outspoken on the internet about what they think is "right" or "healthy", when you know that they would never say a word in a person to person situation.

It has never occurred to me to order more than one entree, but my goodness it's also never occurred to me to care if someone else does!

Keyboard courage........ :rolleyes:

We just returned last week from a Princess cruise to Alaska. We had open dining and the first night of the cruise we had a similar experience. We wanted two orders of a different fish entrees and our waiter (who claimed to have worked for Princess for 17 years) said it was not allowed to order two entrees. Later, when I wanted to order the Chocolate souffle for desert, I was advised NOT to. He promised the flourless chocolate cake was much better and that there would be plenty of souffles served for desert during the remainder of the cruise. Well, I did not care for the cake and the adjacent table was being served 6 souffles. There were no other souffles offered during the rest of the cruise. Needless to say, we made it a point to NEVER sit in that waiter's section for the rest of the cruise. Where we wound up was with a very attentive, courteous and cooperative server. We sat in that section for the rest of the cruise and gave a generous tip for his impeccable service. First waiter was a control freak with a real superiority attitude. We did not complain since we were intimidated by him since we were first time cruisers and thought this was par for the course. Wish I had read about your experience BEFORE our cruise.

We just returned last week from a Princess cruise to Alaska. We had open dining and the first night of the cruise we had a similar experience. We wanted two orders of a different fish entrees and our waiter (who claimed to have worked for Princess for 17 years) said it was not allowed to order two entrees. Later, when I wanted to order the Chocolate souffle for desert, I was advised NOT to. He promised the flourless chocolate cake was much better and that there would be plenty of souffles served for desert during the remainder of the cruise. Well, I did not care for the cake and the adjacent table was being served 6 souffles. There were no other souffles offered during the rest of the cruise. Needless to say, we made it a point to NEVER sit in that waiter's section for the rest of the cruise. Where we wound up was with a very attentive, courteous and cooperative server. We sat in that section for the rest of the cruise and gave a generous tip for his impeccable service. First waiter was a control freak with a real superiority attitude. We did not complain since we were intimidated by him since we were first time cruisers and thought this was par for the course. Wish I had read about your experience BEFORE our cruise.

What ship was this?

We were on a 14 day Hawaii cruise 3 or 4 years ago and had the exact same experience. I thought a 'surf and turf' sounded good. The only way to make it happen was they brought out the beef, I ate the meat and some of the sides, then they brought out the lobster and I at that and some of the sides. I guess they wanted to make sure I was still hungry after the first entree. It did not bother me that they served it that way, but I would have liked it better if they had just put the lobster tail next to the beef wellington to start with, and I think it would have been easier and less work all around.

The same thing happened to me 7 years ago in Anytime dining. I was glad I ordered two entries as the Beef Wellington was over cooked and the Lobster was rubber. I wish I ordered a double of the Prawns.

Even though we do not always order two entrees if there is one I would like to try I will order it as an appetizer portion. We always order extra lobster when it is served! We had a table of three couples two years ago and all of us ordered one dinner entree of lobster and asked for just the lobster. We asked for the extra lobster to be brought out with our entree and there was no problem. We cleared the center of the table and had the waiter put the extra dishes there.

My Dh and I like most of the pasta dishes especially the Farfalle a la Rustica but even with that with will have it as an appetizer.

My sympathies on your bad service. We had a similar attitude from at least one server on NCL and it is very frustrating/insulting.

Even though we do not always order two entrees if there is one I would like to try I will order it as an appetizer portion. We always order extra lobster when it is served! We had a table of three couples two years ago and all of us ordered one dinner entree of lobster and asked for just the lobster. We asked for the extra lobster to be brought out with our entree and there was no problem. We cleared the center of the table and had the waiter put the extra dishes there.

My Dh and I like most of the pasta dishes especially the Farfalle a la Rustica but even with that with will have it as an appetizer.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would think that they would have extra lobster tails readily available. Seems that a number of people order only an extra lobster tail and the kitchen would have those readily available a la carte.

Maybe 10 yrs ago this thread would have really rocked my world but not anymore. Personally there are many nights in the MDR where I am lucky if I can find one entree I would eat so I usually don't have to worry about ordering two!! Menus in MDR are just not that interesting. The only thing special I order every night is french fries. Many nights that's what I end up eating.I do understand those who might long for the good old days when the food on Princess was really, really, good and you could get anything you wanted etc. History folks!!

I really wonder what would happen if you didn't like the entree that was ordered. Would they refuse serving another? :o

This whole subject seems puzzling since limiting food in the DR doesn't really cut costs in the least since people who are still hungry can go through the anytime DR again for another seating or go to the buffet.

So where are the savings? :confused:

Hi

I am the original OP and have read the comments with interest particularly the one above.

We had a different waiter to the poster above but we were in the same dining room and were on the Crown from the 29/07 for 14 nights when we were refused an extra entrée to share between four adults.

Given that the only other poster to report a similar problem was also sailing on the Crown earlier this year I do wonder whether this is more than a coincidence.

The experience was certainly not a pleasant one but I knew that we were going to be served by this waiter for the next 14 days . I therefore swallowed my embarrassment rather than ruin this relationship before it had started plus my family hate a scene.

At the risk of being judged again we did also have a similar experience at the Elite Captains Cocktail Party. At a table of ten my friend was in the middle of ordering a drink when a supervisor came over to to waiter taking his order. The supervisor loudly told the waiter not to take the order until all the drinks on the table had been finished. The waiter walked away leaving my friend stunned and all of us embarrassed for him.

(PS to everyone who took this opportunity to judge you are of course correct I am a hugely obese glutton who lives in a hole and has to be rolled around on castors. I love to hear how superior you are surviving as you do on water and fresh air. Thank you again.)

amen.

I agree 100%

Just to add to info, I happened to be talking with my TA when someone came into her office who had just gotten back from either the Royal or the Regal so I asked. They did table-share 2nd entrees several nights in TD as of 2 weeks ago with no issues.

I was reading all this pertaining to our upcoming cruise. What happened to the "good old days" when you could order what you wanted, and how much with no question. It looks apparent that service has become questionable, depending on who serves you is what kind of service you get. Could it be communication? Or one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. A couple of cruises ago, we boarded and headed to the buffet for lunch. A server came over and asked for our drink order, I always order iced tea, with that, she asked to see my cruise card....I questioned the request, as the tea is included with lunch, she went to another server, disappeared and came back with my tea....nothing said.

I am one that has an issue when dining with other people. I like when all mains are delivered at the same time. What is the point to service one or two people while the others wait until the former are done with the first part of their meal to be served the second.

Can you insist that your order be brought out all at once?

I was reading all this pertaining to our upcoming cruise. What happened to the "good old days" when you could order what you wanted, and how much with no question. It looks apparent that service has become questionable, depending on who serves you is what kind of service you get. Could it be communication? Or one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. A couple of cruises ago, we boarded and headed to the buffet for lunch. A server came over and asked for our drink order, I always order iced tea, with that, she asked to see my cruise card....I questioned the request, as the tea is included with lunch, she went to another server, disappeared and came back with my tea....nothing said.

I am one that has an issue when dining with other people. I like when all mains are delivered at the same time. What is the point to service one or two people while the others wait until the former are done with the first part of their meal to be served the second.

Can you insist that your order be brought out all at once?

Do you mean like appitizer, soup, salad & main course at the same time?

Where would you put it?

There isn't room on the table.

Menus in MDR are just not that interesting. The only thing special I order every night is french fries. Many nights that's what I end up eating.

yeah, I can have French fries at home - any time. Literally - McD's is open 24/7.

I go on a cruise to eat wonderful food, mostly, seafood, but I love all food. I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to get on a boat, travel to exotic locations, while being served great food... and all I would eat is French fries...? wat? :evilsmile:

Maybe 10 yrs ago this thread would have really rocked my world but not anymore. Personally there are many nights in the MDR where I am lucky if I can find one entree I would eat so I usually don't have to worry about ordering two!! Menus in MDR are just not that interesting. The only thing special I order every night is french fries. Many nights that's what I end up eating.I do understand those who might long for the good old days when the food on Princess was really, really, good and you could get anything you wanted etc. History folks!!

I think you have some good points. If the qualty and preparation of the food were higher in the first place, plus the portions of adequate size to suit most people, you might see fewer people ordering double entrees. They might then have the expectation that they would be happy with their first choice. That would have to be easier for both the waitstaff and kitchen workers too.

Do you mean like appitizer, soup, salad & main course at the same time?

Where would you put it?

There isn't room on the table.

HAHA, just maybe I should clarify...I meant that if you order two appetizers, bring them together, and two mains bring them together, not one after you finish the other, but then if everything was brought out at the same time, that's a personal table buffet ;p

• 1 month later...
We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

Sorry, but I'm a little late to this thread. For us on the Regal the staff kept saying Please have more if you'd like. I've seen they are clamping down in Sabatini's & Crown Grill, but I'd hate to see that starting in the MDR's.

If I were in the situation where I wanted two entrees and was told "no," I might just let it go that one time, but talk to the headwaiter on my way out of the dining room to find out whether it was a "one-off" (mistake on my waiter's part) or policy. This might still get my waiter in trouble, I suppose, but it wouldn't cause a fuss at the dinner table.

I am pretty sure the waiters are told how to respond to guest that order more than one entree, so instead of him/her getting in trouble, they are probably being given kudos for doing as they were told. I've seen this coming for some time now ... the grand buffets have all disappeared and specialty restaurants are now limiting you to one entree, smaller plates and no more trays in the buffet ... it was just a matter of time that they try to limit how much food one orders in the MDR.

Got off the Regal October 7. In the MDR Concerto, they allowed just one FREE entre, if you wanted more, it was $10. Might also mention that the amounts of food were very, very small. Make sure you order appetizer, soup/salad, entre and dessert! What we got was very good though.