First time leaving out of NYC

angelmom1

We are on the NCL Gem in June and it is our first time in NYC. We would like to know which airport is the best to fly in to and where is the best place to stay. Also, the best way to get to the port from the hotel. We are thinking about flying in late on June 21 and the ship leaves on the 23. We want to spend 1 day in NYC. We would welcome any suggestions on what to do on our 1 day.

Thanks!

There are a lot of differences of opinion on this but will give you my two cents. I would fly into which ever airport cost less and with only one day in NYC would stay in Manhattan. Easy taxi ride to the port and will maximize your time in New York. If you've never been, I would start with the Statue of Liberty. HOHO bus is a possibility but also either the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock. Too much to consider with only one day. Staying in Manhattan will also give you the morning of the day when your cruise leaves.

Enjoy,

The SOL takes several hours, do it may be too much for a short visit.

The views from the Top of the Rock are great, especially if you get there before sunset to see Central Park and stay to watch tbbe city light up as it gets dark.

I suggest reading a guidebook to figure out what most appeals to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Arriving early is a great idea.

I too would pick whichever airport works best for your flights.

We go with either JFK or LGA (Laguardia). Some go with EWR (Newark)

On the day of Embarkation I would look at taking Uber or a taxi.

We stay in downtown Manhattan and there are lots of choices.

Keith

Ditto on what's been said thus far, will you be flying nonstop out of LAX or better/easier flight options out of Burbank (doubtful fares are lower ...) as LAX-JFK city pairs would likely offer best combo.

How many of you traveling, # of luggage and hotel budget/bedding required ? Hotwire is what we go look past Priceline, being 2 and 1 bed will suffice. Taxi from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate, about $53 + $5.74 in toll + tipping vs. LGA on a metered taxi fare, usually maybe $7 to $10 less depending on traffic + toll + tip. Car service is an option for both, lately very competitively priced & lower than taxi's base fares with competition from so called ride-sharing services.

Hotel prices rise-n-fall but likely trend higher as June is beginning of popular summer season for visitors, book a fully refundable hotel now/soon to lock in something that you are comfortable with ... while you shop around for better/nice deal ... look for affinity, corporate & gov't per diem/military and/or AAA deals at 3 to 6 months out.

If this is your first time visiting NYC, far too much to choose from to see, do and walk by ... museums vs. shows vs. shopping/photo tours vs. historic landmarks. NYC subway trains & bus offer DIY ground travel vs. the HoHo or BigBus double decker "narrated" drive-by tours, a matter of preference.

3a28fa44313f0fb2570eda148286e9a6.jpg