Euros at the airport in Barcelona

linerode

I should mention ... if my memory serves me correctly ... to be careful at Euronet machines.

I'm trying to remember but I think it is Euronet that has a horrible exchange rate. When you put in your card/pin/withdrawal amount the screen shows how much it will cost you in $$. If that happens, cancel the transaction. The exchange rate is lousy.

Stay with an ATM that is associated with a bank. When you use those when you enter your card/pin/withdrawal amount, you get your cash, just like at home. No extra screen asking you if it is OK to continue

Exchange rates in airports are notoriously bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, if you use a machine associated with a company like Travelex.

But if you can find one associated with a bank, it will be the same as using one at the bank or on a city street.

• 1 month later...

I can tell you for a fact that there are two bank ATMs to the right as you exit the arrivals area.

The one I used worked just like an ATM at home. Nothing came up about how much in US $ my withdrawal was going to cost me.

When I get home, I will check my bank statement and post the exchange rate I got but I have no reason to expect it to be anything other than close to the bank rate.

The ones in the airport all have rubbish rates. You could book with zip transfers in advance for a private transfer and pay before you go and grab an atm in the city instead

If it is a bank-affiliated machine, the rate will be the same as any other bank machine in any other area. If it is a company like Travelex, it will be a more expensive rate. If you really have to use a Travelex machine, just get enough for the moment and top up elsewhere.

The ones in the airport all have rubbish rates. You could book with zip transfers in advance for a private transfer and pay before you go and grab an atm in the city instead

Zip Transfers gets terrible reviews for not showing up for prebooked pickups. I looked them up on TA. Do taxis in Barcelona take credit cards for payment?

I should mention ... if my memory serves me correctly ... to be careful at Euronet machines.

I'm trying to remember but I think it is Euronet that has a horrible exchange rate. When you put in your card/pin/withdrawal amount the screen shows how much it will cost you in $$. If that happens, cancel the transaction. The exchange rate is lousy.

Spot on. I ran into these "euronet" ATMs several times on my recent trip to Spain and Portugal. They seem to be similar to the "travelex" exchange machines I've seen in airports.

Avoid them unless you absolutely urgently need a small amount of euro.

Spot on. I ran into these "euronet" ATMs several times on my recent trip to Spain and Portugal. They seem to be similar to the "travelex" exchange machines I've seen in airports.

Avoid them unless you absolutely urgently need a small amount of euro.

Absolutely agree. Avoid Euronet and Travelex....both of which will give you a sub par exchange rate. When looking for an ATM (or asking for help) specify you want a bank ATM. Also make sure you notify your own issuing bank, in advance, of your itinerary and intent to use ATMs in Europe. Keep in mind that some European ATMs will only work with 4 digit PINS......and you do need to know your PINs in numbers....as there are no letters on most European ATMs.

Hank

If all else fails, find your way to the car rental counters. That area also normally has a currency exchange counter or two that will change from and to just about any currency.

Perhaps if all else fails :). Most currency exchange facilities do not give you anything close to the actual exchange rate you get from a bank ATM.

Hank

No airport in the world is ever the best place to exchange currency... try to do that in the city if you can.

In Barcelona, avoid any exchange bureau, your best bets are always in banks, and -if memory serves me well- both Banc de Sabadell and CaixaBank are the most convenient as exchange rates go. We have one of the biggest bank office networks in Western Europe so you'll be finding bank offices almost at every corner in the city.

Btw, ccards are widely accepted (especially VISA,Mastercard), so the need for cash is rather minor. Taxis also accept ccards (but not the buses!)

• 2 weeks later...
Which ATM did you use in the airport? Bank ATM? Thank you.

Yes, a bank ATM.

When we exited the arrivals area, we turned right out the door through the roped off area (where people waiting for people were) and then turned left to exit the terminal. Straight ahead were two ATMs. There was a long line at one and I wondered if there was any difference but I used the one on the left and everything was as expected.

Is there an ATM in a good location at the Barcelona airport and is that ATM safe? I was going to just my Euro's at the airport before we get a taxi to our apartment.

I don't know how about Barcelona but in Venice exchange rate was terrible best way is to buy E at home.

I don't know how about Barcelona but in Venice exchange rate was terrible best way is to buy E at home.

If you used a Travelex or Euronet ATM, yes, exchange rate would be awful. We ran into that problem in Glasgow when the only ATMs in the airport were Travelex. I got just enough to hold us until we found a bank ATM in the city.

But the ones in BCN were bank ATMs. I calculated what the cost would be before I left and that exact amount is what came out of my checking account.

If you used a Travelex or Euronet ATM, yes, exchange rate would be awful. We ran into that problem in Glasgow when the only ATMs in the airport were Travelex. I got just enough to hold us until we found a bank ATM in the city.

But the ones in BCN were bank ATMs. I calculated what the cost would be before I left and that exact amount is what came out of my checking account.

Agree - bank ATMs offer a much better rate of exchange than purchasing euros at home (or from a Travelex ATM, whose rates are outrageous). I exclusively use bank ATMs in Europe - I never purchase euros in the states.