Airfare Advice

jr8934

We are cruising from Anchorage to Vancouver. Checking one way flights there and back home it's about $894.82 pp. Does this sound about right or should I keep searching flights? Joyce
you are dealing with "open jaw" flights, and these are often seen by airlines as two inflated one-way fares.

We have found, without exception, that open jaw flights are less expensive when booked through Princess EZair.

We are cruising from Anchorage to Vancouver. Checking one way flights there and back home it's about $894.82 pp. Does this sound about right or should I keep searching flights? Joyce

Try booking what is called an "open jaw" ticket. That is often overlooked as an option, it means you are flying from one city but back from a different city. In your case home airport to Anchorage and then back from to your home from Vancouver. There are online sites that will give you this, they just don't call it that. I best use of this was from Chicago to London, took the chunnel to Paris, and then flew home from there. I saved more than a $100 even after paying the chunnel train fare. Good Luck!

I have found that EZair was much cheaper when departing one port and arriving in another port. You might give it a try and see what Princess is offering. There are several advantages to using EZair like not paying for the ticket until paying for the cruise and if something goes wrong and you miss the ship or flight home, Princess will take care of it for you.

Another pointer is that some take the train from Vancouver to Seattle making it a domestic flight which is usually cheaper but needs the extra time to ride the train.

Are you searching for two, one-way flights or a single "multi-city" booking (hometown-ANC/ YVR-hometown)?

And while yes, the fare you found does seem high, knowing what city you are actually originating from just might garner more helpful and more specific suggestions.

I recommend flying Alaska Airlines because it is our main airline and offers pretty much hourly flights from Seattle to Anchorage in the summer. That way, if you have a delay or missed connection, there are plenty of back-ups. Princess EZ-Air Flex Fares will likely offer the best rates and will give you the freedom to change up until 45 days in advance if the price drops. You still have plenty of time for price drops to occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely check the "multi-city" flight options. I recently booked that way for our June 2018 Alaska cruise, from home to Vancouver and then from Anchorage back home. It usually comes out less than two one-way flights.

I compared Alaska Air, Delta, and United for our flights and tracked their fares for a few weeks. I wound up booking Delta when they had a huge price drop one morning.