Skagway - White Pass with Bennett Lake

luvteaching

My DH loves trains and we've done the White Pass 4 times. I was looking at the trip that includes Bennett Lake. It's a 7 hour excursion which is fine. I'd love to hear from others who have done this excursion in the last few years. Also, DH uses a scooter for mobility but can walk some distances as long as we go slowly. I know this excursion is not handicapped accessible. Does anyone have any insight if this will be do-able. I'll get our TA on it checking as well. I've read the description carefully and the most "steps" it says is something like 10 which won't be a problem.

Thank you!

Karen

Not exactly what you are asking but another alternative. We rented a car in Skagway and drove it up through the pass and ended up at Emerald Lake with a nice stop in Carcross. You can't get lost since there is only one road to Bennett Lake.

My DH loves trains and we've done the White Pass 4 times. I was looking at the trip that includes Bennett Lake. It's a 7 hour excursion which is fine. I'd love to hear from others who have done this excursion in the last few years. Also, DH uses a scooter for mobility but can walk some distances as long as we go slowly. I know this excursion is not handicapped accessible. Does anyone have any insight if this will be do-able. I'll get our TA on it checking as well. I've read the description carefully and the most "steps" it says is something like 10 which won't be a problem.

Thank you!

Karen

We did this through Chilkoot Charters in 2015. It was excellent. Really enjoyed being at the lake. I suggest taking a walker with you. Getting on and off the train will be a problem. https://chilkootcharters.com/?product=bennett-scenic-journey

We did this through Chilkoot Charters in 2015. It was excellent. Really enjoyed being at the lake. I suggest taking a walker with you. https://chilkootcharters.com/?product=bennett-scenic-journey

We have done this with Chilkoot also (twice) and much preferred the experience over a Princess excursion (and less expensive).

It's a one-way trip, with a bus return (or vice versa), as the train only goes one way per day. When we did it in 2012, it was train out/bus back, and the train crew actually turned the train around in the triangle, parked it, and drove home in a van. I assume they drive out the next day or the day after, and operate the run in the opposite direction.

What's the secret sauce with the Chilkoot version? It's still the same train. Isn't it still the same lunch?

It's a one-way trip, with a bus return (or vice versa), as the train only goes one way per day. When we did it in 2012, it was train out/bus back, and the train crew actually turned the train around in the triangle, parked it, and drove home in a van. I assume they drive out the next day or the day after, and operate the run in the opposite direction.

What's the secret sauce with the Chilkoot version? It's still the same train. Isn't it still the same lunch?

Lunch is now on the train -- Chilkoot one was very good. They provide bottled water all day long. Our carriage was not full. Not done a ship's version.

We did this through Chilkoot Charters in 2015. It was excellent. Really enjoyed being at the lake. I suggest taking a walker with you. Getting on and off the train will be a problem. https://chilkootcharters.com/?product=bennett-scenic-journey

We too took this excursion through Chilkoot. Book directly with them and you won't be on a crowded car. I remember that the people who booked via Princess were in a very crowded car on the train.

Try the ports of call board for more info. As for Princess car, they probably bargain a bulk discount price and so the train packs them in. Just another illustration that most of the time private tours are better. Not really knocking Princess too much as they need to cater to larger groups.

Thank you everyone! I hadn't thought of checking out Chilkoot. I did last night and the difference in price is about $60.00 for the two of us and definitely worth considering. They do say on the site that they can accommodate walkers which may be good for DH. I appreciate the feedback.

Karen

I did this tour with Chilkoot in August.

One lady had a walker.

We had a passenger van (we were 13) with no luggage department, the driver put the walker beside him up front.. He picked us up in the parking lot near the ship (outside the port fenced off area) in the van. There was a couple of docks in Skaway which Princes uses so we did not know which one until we got off. Chilkoot would met at any dock.

The driver drove us to the train, the lady walked to the train a short distance (maybe 20 steps?), up a couple of steps. The driver kept the walker in the van as he drove up to met the train. He met the train in the parking lot, down a couple of steps, about 20 steps (?) to the van. We stopped a few times where we could get off, he would get the walker off if she wanted it. When we stopped for lunch (coleslaw, chicken leg, 1/2 baked potato, roll, donut, water, coffee), the walker was needed as there was things to see, we had 1 1/4 hour there.

He dropped us off at the same place as in the morning. Some asked if he would drop them off in town, which he did, they walked back to the ship (about a 20 minute walk).

On the train the Chilkoot company had their own train coach for their passengers, we were able to move around the coach. The coach had 2 person wooden bench seats and a bathroom. I talked to someone from the Princess tour at lunch, who said their coach was crowded.

I have done the White Pass train excursion with Princess before. I would recommend the Chilkoot train/bus tour, a more personal tour plus you see a lot more than just the train.

If you have any questions, why not call Chilkoot, I did as Princess had changed our port time, they were very helpful.

• 6 months later...

Reviving this old thread to ask whether anyone could offer some estimate of how much time was spent on the train, on the ground and on the bus. Our Bennett Lake excursion is pegged at 7 3/4 hours - just so we know what to expect I'd like to know how that breaks down.

My guess, based on nothing but Google Maps, is that we're on the bus for 2 hours, with a 1/2 hour extra for stops and a 1/4 hour waiting for latecomers <grin>. From what I can tell from various online sources, the train is 2 1/4 hours downhill, 4 3/4 hours uphill (!!??).

Thank you everyone! I hadn't thought of checking out Chilkoot. I did last night and the difference in price is about $60.00 for the two of us and definitely worth considering. They do say on the site that they can accommodate walkers which may be good for DH. I appreciate the feedback.

Karen

On different excursion, Chilkoot indicated that they could only take one walker per bus. I would book quickly and confirm that they will take your walker. We really enjoyed our excursion and in small group (12?).