Voom Surf & Stream for Five Devices?

jldev

On our Voyager of the Seas Sydney to Singapore cruise in April, RCCL are selling Voom Surf & Stream packages on our cruise planner. They have 1, 2, 3 and 4 device plan options but not one for 5 devices. We are a family of five and have two adjacent cabins. I've already decided that, to save arguments, I'd ideally want to have Voom for five devices and presumably a 5-device package would give better economies of scale that buying a 4-device package plus a 1-device package. So does RCCL ever sell 5-device packages?

On our Voyager of the Seas Sydney to Singapore cruise in April, RCCL are selling Voom Surf & Stream packages on our cruise planner. They have 1, 2, 3 and 4 device plan options but not one for 5 devices. We are a family of five and have two adjacent cabins. I've already decided that, to save arguments, I'd ideally want to have Voom for five devices and presumably a 5-device package would give better economies of scale that buying a 4-device package plus a 1-device package. So does RCCL ever sell 5-device packages?

They sell 5-device packages onboard:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

Thanks Bob and that's good to know although I do want to try and prepay as much as I can before we board. Do you think they'd sell the 5-device plan in advance if I called RCCL to book it?

Thanks Bob and that's good to know although I do want to try and prepay as much as I can before we board. Do you think they'd sell the 5-device plan in advance if I called RCCL to book it?

I doubt they would sell anything that does not show up in your Cruise Planner, but it can't hurt to call.

By the way, if you are aching to give RC money ahead of time, just buy some On Board Credit to cover your VOOM purchase onboard.

I doubt they would sell anything that does not show up in your Cruise Planner, but it can't hurt to call.

By the way, if you are aching to give RC money ahead of time, just buy some On Board Credit to cover your VOOM purchase onboard.

Oh not at all aching to give RC money ahead of time (and still shaking my head in shock at the prices of the various drinks packages once they are converted into NZ$ and for a 14-night cruise) but definitely don't want a big bill on my credit card when we get home from this trip.

I had no idea that you could buy OBC (we already have a little bit as got US$75 per cabin with our booking) but that does sound like a good way to budget and so I'll have to look up how I go about buying it.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Oh not at all aching to give RC money ahead of time (and still shaking my head in shock at the prices of the various drinks packages once they are converted into NZ$ and for a 14-night cruise) but definitely don't want a big bill on my credit card when we get home from this trip.

I had no idea that you could buy OBC (we already have a little bit as got US$75 per cabin with our booking) but that does sound like a good way to budget and so I'll have to look up how I go about buying it.

Thanks so much for your help :)

You're welcome.

I'd give you the US 800 number to call for the OBC, but it probably would not work for you. It's the same department (Gffts & Gear) you would call to purchase various amenities ahead of time, like flowers, wine for the room, decorations, bathrobes, etc.

Forgot to mention you could do the 4 device internet package, and then you could do the 1 beverage + internet package. It will coome out cheaper that way.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Oh yes thanks, I'm watching my cruise planner each day to see if they do a combined/discounted internet package option as that would probably change it all up for us. So far though they are only selling them separately and non-discounted.

I do worry that, since we are a 14 night cruise with only 4 port days and all the rest sea days, RCCL will have no motivation to discount any of the beverage or internet packages for us...

Fwiw I would not bother with stream package which is more unless family members like to watch Netflix etc which can be slow. The surf package worked fine for us on a transatlantic. Maybe try one device and if it works well upgrade while on board

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Actually all that they are selling for our cruise is "Surf & Stream". There is no option for "Surf"-only because, if there was, yes certainly that's what I'd intend to buy.

It does seem weird given that, since supposedly as Voyager of the Seas does not have the fast internet like the brand new ships have, they advertise the Stream part of it as well. You'd think that they are just setting themselves up for lots of complaints if people are only given the option to buy "surf & stream' yet cannot stream things.

Actually all that they are selling for our cruise is "Surf & Stream". There is no option for "Surf"-only because, if there was, yes certainly that's what I'd intend to buy. ...

With only one reported exception that I can recall, it seems that you have to buy "Surf Only" onboard.

You'd think that they are just setting themselves up for lots of complaints if people are only given the option to buy "surf & stream' yet cannot stream things.

Even on ships without O3B, we have had reports of pretty good download speed - up to 4 Mbps. That's certainly enough to stream, but performance for routine things will still seem sluggish when compared to ships with O3B due to the much higher latency (which Stream can't fix).

Even on ships without O3B, we have had reports of pretty good download speed - up to 4 Mbps. That's certainly enough to stream, but performance for routine things will still seem sluggish when compared to ships with O3B due to the much higher latency (which Stream can't fix).

Ok thanks that's good to know. So I'll get us to go expecting not to be able to stream and then hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised :)

or, rather than giving RCCL an interest free loan by paying early. avoid a big credit card bill at the end by paying down your balance at any time during the cruise by another method. travelers checks can be used ....

I do worry that, since we are a 14 night cruise with only 4 port days and all the rest sea days, RCCL will have no motivation to discount any of the beverage or internet packages for us...

Just an FYI - we did a 24 night cruise and after like, day 5, they offered the internet package as buy 10 days get the rest of your sail for free (basically 50% off the rest of the cruise). We'd decided we were only going to buy a few days (back when you could buy daily packages) but the deal as so good we went for it.

Ultimately, they'd rather sell you the internet than not, so they often do offer good deals once on board. But as others have noted, you may be better off waiting for a good deal online to book it before the cruise. Just keep an eye on prices.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy s7 or newer phone you can use Wi-Fi sharing on your phone. I need internet while one board to do some work everyday. So me, and my wife just get one package since she just uses for occasional social usuage. I just enable Wi-Fi sharing on my Note 8. Which allows my wife's phone, and pc to connect, and share the phones Wi-Fi connection to the ship internet.

Another option is you can get a travel router with battery. Were you can connect the router to the ships internet wifi connection, and share the internet with your other devices just like home.

So if a few members of your group are always together than they can share a internet connection that way.

Does everyone need a connection all the time??????

We did a one device package and swapped who had the connection. Worked fine.

I do not go on a cruise to be locked to my phone or computer.

Just an FYI - we did a 24 night cruise and after like, day 5, they offered the internet package as buy 10 days get the rest of your sail for free (basically 50% off the rest of the cruise). We'd decided we were only going to buy a few days (back when you could buy daily packages) but the deal as so good we went for it.

Ultimately, they'd rather sell you the internet than not, so they often do offer good deals once on board. But as others have noted, you may be better off waiting for a good deal online to book it before the cruise. Just keep an eye on prices.

Thanks so much and that's good to know :)

If you have a Samsung Galaxy s7 or newer phone you can use Wi-Fi sharing on your phone. I need internet while one board to do some work everyday. So me, and my wife just get one package since she just uses for occasional social usuage. I just enable Wi-Fi sharing on my Note 8. Which allows my wife's phone, and pc to connect, and share the phones Wi-Fi connection to the ship internet.

Another option is you can get a travel router with battery. Were you can connect the router to the ships internet wifi connection, and share the internet with your other devices just like home.

So if a few members of your group are always together than they can share a internet connection that way.

Oh wow, that's fascinating to know those ways to get around buying for multiple devices. I told my husband, who works for a Telco company, and he's going to look into the Note 8. The Travel Router seems like a good option too.

Does everyone need a connection all the time??????

We did a one device package and swapped who had the connection. Worked fine.

I do not go on a cruise to be locked to my phone or computer.

Normally I would wholeheartedly agree with you and, on our other cruises, I never before considered even buying ships internet. We'd just find some free Wi-fi on our port stops if we wanted and get some quick updates.

However this 14 night cruise has only 4 port days and all the rest are sea days. I have a business here at home that I need to keep an eye on so I must have internet on this cruise. I could possibly share with hubby.

It's our three teenage daughters in the adjacent cabin that are the main issue and, as much as I don't like to accept that being connected with their friends is a priority, realistically it is now the way that their generation lives. On a shorter cruise with more port stops, I'd certainly not consider getting them an internet package. And, IF they make new friends on this cruise, then they might not use the internet much and possibly sharing a login might work. But, if they don't make new friends and are stuck spending time with each other 24/7 for two weeks, that could be a recipe for disaster as they do need breaks from each other. And my worry is that arguments would then inevitably happen as they disagreed over whose turn it was to have the internet access. That, in turn, affects my husband's and my holiday! So I figure it's just best to give them each their own access on this particular cruise.

^ you could just fib to the kids and tell them only on login per cabin is allowed by the ship.

Haha true but, as soon as one of them started talking to another teen who has WiFi, they'd learn the truth!

Edited by jldev

Last year got 1 connection for 4 in 2 cabins.

This year got 2 connection for 2 cabins.

Each cabin was suppose to share - connection.

When we got to ship there was only one password for both connections. Kids in 2nd cabin hogged both.

It would have been better for each cabin to have own password and device to share, even though, would have been about $50 more for our 14 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums