New Forums software

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Report Bugs & Glitches

Report Glitches and Bugs You Find

Please Use New Thread Button

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:51 PM.
All over the world
2,095 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I have no idea whose decision it was to change the software for the forums but it sucks. Plain and simple. It all looks blue, certain function keys don't stand out, and it take more key presses to get to threads I have responded in. Can't stand the new forums.

Ewing, NJ
19,620 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback; we're sorry you are unhappy with how the new format looks. It is essentially the same functionality, but if there is something that is missing please let us know.

I don't know what you mean by "take more key presses to get to threads you've responded to". Are you talking about clicking on your User Name, and using the Find My Posts links? If so, it's on my list to look into reinstating.

Laura
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laura
Senior Manager Community
[email protected]

When your values are clear, your decisions are easy -Roy Disney-
All over the world
2,095 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by LauraS
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback; we're sorry you are unhappy with how the new format looks. It is essentially the same functionality, but if there is something that is missing please let us know.

I don't know what you mean by "take more key presses to get to threads you've responded to". Are you talking about clicking on your User Name, and using the Find My Posts links? If so, it's on my list to look into reinstating.

Laura
To find the list of current threads I have responded in I used to only have to click on User CP (a nice sized icon). Now I have to click on the extremely small arrow next to my name and then click on Subscribed Threads (also in small print). More clicks (or key presses).

Either way though, you are free to delete my account if you intend to keep this new format. I simply can't stand it (font used, lack of visual separation between posts,colors (or lack of colors actually) used, etc......). It just looks so unprofessional. You may have more bells and whistles now but I have never been one for bells and whistles.

Thank you.
Ballinger - Bucks UK
801 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Laura, may I please add a suggestion. It would be so nice to have a "like" button similar to that used on Facebook. People would know you had read their post but you don't need to write a whole post. I find some people feel they have to reply to everything and it does get a tad boring. Well done for what you do on this forum. I love it.

Regards Pat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed - Regent Seven Seas 8 cruises, Seabourn Odyssey, Pullmantur, Crown Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, P& O Arcadia, Cunard Queen Victoria (2), Queen Elizabeth (Round the World,) Queen Mary 2 (Transatlantic)

Omaha, NE
277 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I don't mind the new format. Sometimes change is good, although learning the new functionality and where everything is can be a bother.

I do really miss the feature in the Boards that shows you've read a thread. The thread title used to turn RED once you'd read it. This was useful in knowing where you'd left off in reading the threads. Now I have to skim the thread titles and try to remember what I've already read. Can you bring this functionality back? I do like all the new icons that have been added.

i.e. Boards>Cruise LInes "A - O">Oceania Cruises
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oceania Marina 2-17 | Celebrity Equinox 2-16 | Celebrity Eclipse 3-15 | Celebrity Equinox 3-14
Carnival Liberty 2-13 | Ruby Princess 2-11 | Independence of the Seas 3-09 | Emerald Princess 3-08
Coral Princess 4-06 | Sapphire Princess 11-05 | Star Princess 3-05 | Enchantment of the Seas 12-03
Carnival Legend 3-03 | Carnival Pride 3-02
Sweden
1,807 Posts
Joined May 2012
I agree with WahooNKS, it would be useful to have read threads in red instead of blue.

I also would like to be able to switch to desktop view/mode when browsing with my phone.

Then there is the problem with editing time out (not rrelated to the new look though.) but for thread starters like Danish Viking and myself,
the locked editing causes problems due to specific information becoming outdated.
Corrections usually become buried in various parts of the thread, making them hard to find.
To correct this I have to sstart a new thread each year, I would prefer if I could just cchange the outdated parts.

Current editing time limit also needs to be eextended to 60 min.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stockholm advice/info threads:
2016: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690
2015:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176645
Ballinger - Bucks UK
801 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
On the new format I notice it does not have where the members live. Is there a reason for this? It is quite nice to see what part of the world a poster is posting from. Thanks.

RegardsPat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed - Regent Seven Seas 8 cruises, Seabourn Odyssey, Pullmantur, Crown Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, P& O Arcadia, Cunard Queen Victoria (2), Queen Elizabeth (Round the World,) Queen Mary 2 (Transatlantic)

SoCal
10,118 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by DreamflightPat
On the new format I notice it does not have where the members live. Is there a reason for this? It is quite nice to see what part of the world a poster is posting from. Thanks.

RegardsPat
It's still there, you just have to look for it. Click on the username of the person and that information shows up.

I'm on another board that changed their format a couple of years ago, and the same thing happened. The location is no longer viewable directly on any posts that person makes, but you can look at their profile and see it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
21 Cruises, 13 ships, 202 nights

All over the world
2,095 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I don't know what caused the admin to change back to the old software (surely wasn't my whiny post) but I am very grateful. Thank you.
SoCal
10,118 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Computer Nerd
I don't know what caused the admin to change back to the old software (surely wasn't my whiny post) but I am very grateful. Thank you.
I read that they've switched most of the boards back (except for a couple) in order to do their "tweaking". Also reported that everyone will be on the new format once they get everything working the way they want.

So I believe it's just a little respite before the mass change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
21 Cruises, 13 ships, 202 nights

All over the world
2,095 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by Shmoo here
I read that they've switched most of the boards back (except for a couple) in order to do their "tweaking". Also reported that everyone will be on the new format once they get everything working the way they want.

So I believe it's just a little respite before the mass change.
Well that sucks eggs as I probably won't be back on once they make that change. IMO, that new forums software was retched.
1,482 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
How come I now see one big white screen? Are my individual settings at fault or did CC make a global change? Cannot stand looking at one blindingly white screen as opposed to a one which used subtle color variations to differentiate between headers, forums, subforums and threads.

If this a permanent thing, I HAAATTTEEE it!!!!
Somewhere else, but not here!
804 Posts
Joined May 2016
Just when I thought it would be impossible to have software WORSE than the Cruise Critic forums, leave it to Cruise Critic to come up with an even more horrid design. I will tell you this, in my IT shop had anyone come up with this crap as a suggested 'new' software they would have been fired immediately. Worst software ever, worst UI ever. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a minus 5.
804 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by LauraS
Hi!

Laura

It is one big jumbled mess of text with pale blue on white. Everything runs together. It looks like crap. Unusable at every level.
804 Posts
Joined May 2016
Just so you know, NONE of the settings in User Control Panel - Customize Profile work. They do absolutely noting at all and have ZERO impact on the forum UI. Try again, this software SUCKS.
804 Posts
Joined May 2016
This -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ <- is the software that the CC folks are using and how it SHOULD be set up. For some reason, some programmer at CC thinks this layout is superior to the default set up of the software. If they hired someone to be the forum admin who knew how to set it up right, this software would be fine! It is set up / implementation that sucks. The underlying software is just fine. See the forum in my link to see how easy it can be to use.
All over the world
2,095 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Crap, the damn forums went back to crap. Admin, delete my account or give me the option to do it myself if you're too lazy to do it as previously requested.
Washington, DC
905 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by NHL Philly Fan
This -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ <- is the software that the CC folks are using and how it SHOULD be set up. For some reason, some programmer at CC thinks this layout is superior to the default set up of the software. If they hired someone to be the forum admin who knew how to set it up right, this software would be fine! It is set up / implementation that sucks. The underlying software is just fine. See the forum in my link to see how easy it can be to use.
Laura has said elsewhere that this is a custom skin they're using. They were probably trying to duplicate as much of the old functionality as possible, and I think they've succeeded at that. I've not run into anything that no longer works, though I agree that the color scheme needs to be revisited. There have been noticeable changes made over the past week. No need to be rude to the person who is fixing stuff.
804 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by bEwAbG
Laura has said elsewhere that this is a custom skin they're using. They were probably trying to duplicate as much of the old functionality as possible, and I think they've succeeded at that. I've not run into anything that no longer works, though I agree that the color scheme needs to be revisited. There have been noticeable changes made over the past week. No need to be rude to the person who is fixing stuff.
Nothing said was even slightly rude unless one considers truth and honesty to be rude.
Washington, DC
905 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
It is plainly obvious that whoever is the IT admin here has no idea how to do his job properly and would be swiftly fired for making such a bone head mistake by most businesses.
Are you serious? This piece of useless junk is your "improved" software? Having coded websites and on line applications for over 20 years I have to say this is absolutely the worst piece of on line software I have ever seen or used. I hope someone is paying you guys a LOT of money to use this crap.
Please learn to debug in the sandbox/test bed before putting software into a production environment. That is part of software 101!
I consider you telling someone that he doesn't know how to do his job to be rude, yes. Others have reported that they were asked to test before this roll-out. Neither of us know what's going on in the background once they went into production.