Port to Port

TriMomma

I will be in Trondheim for a conference this August and thought that it might be fun to add a couple of days on a Hurtigruten cruise. Has anyone ever tried just a couple of days using the Port to Port option? If so, what would you recommend either beginning or ending in Trondheim?

I just did North bound 3 nights from Bodø to Kirkenes. Primarily due to midnight sun. August a bit late for midnight sun.

Going south you will sail trough the long fjords to Geiranger and Flåm as well as Ålesund and Bergen - north bound the Lofoten Islands, Trollfjord and Tromsø. So options are two Night either Bergen to Trondheim or Tromsø to Trondheim or even from Kirkenes. Or any Port with an airport.

I'm currently writing on a review from my Bodø to Kirkenes experience. My review under development at http://midtnightsuncruise.blogspot.com (preliminary URL). To get an idea of what to see south of Trondheim you can see my blog - conventional cruise however almost same as Hurtigruten from Bergen to Ålesund - http://norwegianfjordscruise.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the entire Bergen to Kirkenes RT, but met a very nice Norwegian woman on board who got on at Trondheim as a business trip/vacation. She had business to do in Bodø while we were in port, but then stayed on the ship for a mini-vacation to Kirkenes and flew home to Trondheim. She of course has done this route many times, and said that she thought this was the most beautiful of the entire coast. I had to agree with her, sitting and talking with her in the Vista Lounge every evening!

One factor to take into consideration is that northbound you have half a day in Tromso, but southbound you arrive about 11PM, with the only excursion available a midnight concert at the Arctic Cathedral, and of course no museums or shops were open. Left port about 2AM when the concert goers returned.

I would fly to Bodø in the afternoon, take a look at the town, and embark on Hurtigruten when it arrives 02:30. The Helgeland coast the following day is the most iconic part of the entire cruise, imo.

Subsidiary, Fly to Evenes 11:55, take the bus to Svolvær, arrival 2000, departure Hurtigruten 2030. A bit more stressful, it will be the same ship.

Bus to Svolvær could be a bit stressful however it could also be a very long evening in Bodø. The City is rather small and imo not that exciting. Will your final destination be Bergen?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, embarking the ship isn't optimal, however the reward when you wake up the next morning is great. Southbound from Trondheim the first part of the leg to Kristiansund isn't the most interesting, but a day trip there is feasible. Trondheim-Bergen is 27 hrs iirc, and from right north of Krisiansund it goes trough magnificent landscape.

• 3 months later...