EWR hotel cruise hotel then LGA

bearette

I am looking at NCL Breakaway the week before Christmas.The best (cheapest and times nonstop) arrive at 2pm Thursday and then depart at 8pm Sat Dec 23. I would be traveling with my husband and kids (both 5). I have been trying to research the transport options, but I am very confused.

Since the cruise is our major destination where would you recommend the best area to stay pre and post cruise considering the different airports? I would like to stay around $200 or so a night. I would like to go into the city to possibly see a Broadway show (kid friendly), time square, the Christmas tree, and the 911 memorial. I am open to public transportation as we will probably just have carry-ons or one large suitcase. I am open to Uber/lyft but because of the kids I wondered about car seats too. (worth bringing my own booster seats?)

Thank you for helping me make sense of the transit system.

I am looking at NCL Breakaway the week before Christmas.The best (cheapest and times nonstop) arrive at 2pm Thursday and then depart at 8pm Sat Dec 23. I would be traveling with my husband and kids (both 5). I have been trying to research the transport options, but I am very confused.

Since the cruise is our major destination where would you recommend the best area to stay pre and post cruise considering the different airports? I would like to stay around $200 or so a night. I would like to go into the city to possibly see a Broadway show (kid friendly), time square, the Christmas tree, and the 911 memorial. I am open to public transportation as we will probably just have carry-ons or one large suitcase. I am open to Uber/lyft but because of the kids I wondered about car seats too. (worth bringing my own booster seats?)

Thank you for helping me make sense of the transit system.

Could you provide more precise details?

Exact date, time of arrival, and airport?

Exact dates of the cruise?

What airport are you departing at 8 pm Sat Dec 23? LGA?

$200 could be a tight budget for 4 people.

EWR arrival 2 Pm December 14 (Thursday)

Norwegian Breakaway On The 15th (Friday)

Hotel Night Of Decemeber 22 (Friday)

LGA Flight - Departure 8pm (Saturday)

I could go up in price for hotel as high as $300, but I'd prefer sit down restaurants and a show over fancy hotels, but I need clean and save because of the kids (5 year old Twins,Though I think most would agree they want clean and safe)s

Also A possibility my Mom And Her friend Might Join Us.

Thanks

EWR arrival 2 Pm December 14 (Thursday)

Norwegian Breakaway On The 15th (Friday)

Hotel Night Of Decemeber 22 (Friday)

LGA Flight - Departure 8pm (Saturday)

I could go up in price for hotel as high as $300, but I'd prefer sit down restaurants and a show over fancy hotels, but I need clean and save because of the kids (5 year old Twins,Though I think most would agree they want clean and safe)s

Also A possibility my Mom And Her friend Might Join Us.

Thanks

Give me time to look at this. My first impressions are to have you do the 911 Memorial when your arrive and stay in downtown Newark . Leave the Broadway show until post cruise. Prices look good the Fri before xmas.

Your mom is a total wild card.

Give me time to look at this. My first impressions are to have you do the 911 Memorial when your arrive and stay in downtown Newark . Leave the Broadway show until post cruise. Prices look good the Fri before xmas.

Your mom is a total wild card.

Thanks, I haven't booked yet (waiting on work approval) but wanted to see how difficult and what the budget would need To be

Thanks, I haven't booked yet (waiting on work approval) but wanted to see how difficult and what the budget would need To be

For Dec 14 the Newark Penn Station Hilton is $139 plus tax and a little less if you join Hilton Honors. They have an airport shuttle, but you have to take yourselves on the free Airtrain to the P4 station to connect with it. This hotel is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk, so you can take PATH from there directly to the WTC in downtown Manhattan to do the 911 Memorial area.

For Dec 15 you take the NJTransit train to New York Penn Station ($5.25/pp adults, $2.45/pp kids), exit out to 8th Ave, and take a cab to the port ( $12-15)

New York Hotel prices are substantially less for Dec 22. Look at Marriott.com and Hilton.com to see what appeals and make cancellable reservations for a midtown hotel that you can live with for that date including rooms for your Mom. Once the other pieces of your trip are settled, you can start looking for lower priced nonrefundable deals if you like.

Thank you! That sounds simple enough. I like saving money so I can do the train/PATH, plus it helps eliminate the need for car seats- my mom can do the car service if she comes-parrot feathers who did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! That sounds simple enough. I like saving money so I can do the train/PATH, plus it helps eliminate the need for car seats- my mom can do the car service if she comes-parrot feathers who did you use?

I used a car service that was less expensive than Dial 7 or Carmel. I cannot remember the name right now. There was a little glitch upon return and I had to wait about an hour. Frankly I think they forgot to write my reservation down for the return. They eventually did pick me up and gave me a discount. If I had it to do over I would go with the two being recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
For Dec 14 the Newark Penn Station Hilton is $139 plus tax and a little less if you join Hilton Honors. They have an airport shuttle, but you have to take yourselves on the free Airtrain to the P4 station to connect with it. This hotel is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk, so you can take PATH from there directly to the WTC in downtown Manhattan to do the 911 Memorial area.

For Dec 15 you take the NJTransit train to New York Penn Station ($5.25/pp adults, $2.45/pp kids), exit out to 8th Ave, and take a cab to the port ( $12-15)

New York Hotel prices are substantially less for Dec 22. Look at Marriott.com and Hilton.com to see what appeals and make cancellable reservations for a midtown hotel that you can live with for that date including rooms for your Mom. Once the other pieces of your trip are settled, you can start looking for lower priced nonrefundable deals if you like.

That sounds perfect to me, I'm coming from Buffalo for an Escape cruise and EWR is the easiest airport to use. I was thinking it would cost a small fortune to get to the ship.

That sounds perfect to me, I'm coming from Buffalo for an Escape cruise and EWR is the easiest airport to use. I was thinking it would cost a small fortune to get to the ship.

Please post the dates and the details of the plans for your cruise. Hotel prices vary a lot as do the transportation expenses if you're at a Newark Airport hotel instead of in downtown Newark. The advice that was given was very specific for the OP's dates and sightseeing plans.

Please post the dates and the details of the plans for your cruise. Hotel prices vary a lot as do the transportation expenses if you're at a Newark Airport hotel instead of in downtown Newark. The advice that was given was very specific for the OP's dates and sightseeing plans.

Our plans are to fly from Buffalo to EWR on 9/29 for an Escape cruise leaving on 9/30. We hope to arrive before 12 pm and spend a little time in NYC but no plans to do anything in particular. There are two adults and traveling light with luggage we can carry. The rate right now is $139.

Our plans to return home is by Amtrak the day our ship comes back to port.

Could I make a 10:20 train?

We're on the same cruise, and have done this itinerary annually for many years. It's the same Bermuda itinerary that the Breakaway has done for years and other NCL ships have done for years before that.

There are no guarantees, but you should be able to do it as long as the ship isn't delayed by weather and CBP clears the ship for disembarkation in a timely manner. Most of the time the ship docks well before 8.

If you are willing to do an early walk off self disembarkation you should be able to get a taxi or Uber that will get you to NY Penn Station in time. It's not as if there are TSA security checks to go through in order to board Amtrak, so you don't have to be at the station nearly as early as you have to be at an airport for a flight.