Norwegian Dawn November 2017

Cruizinthru

Felling a little frustrated with Norweigan. Seems like they've kept us in the dark. With the cruise terminating in San Juan, and less than 30 days to departure, flying out of there seems questionable at best. Add to that the destruction of most of the ports of call I would like to have seen the line a little more forthcoming with information. We have several hundred in airfare that we stand to loose if last minute changes are necessary.:(

I have not booked flights yet because I always book a non-refundable flight, however I do feel that they are leaving it really close. Everyone is going to be scrambling. The other cruise lines have already posted their itinerary changes - all NCL keeps saying when I call is that they are securing the ports. I do realize that the residences of these islands are suffering, however everyone on this cruise is also going to suffer - we can't cancel, without a huge penalty - we can't even change the cruise, without a penalty.

I am really trying not to get too anxious about it as we have no control over it, but I feel that NCL could have advised us before now.

We're going November 26. Here's the updated itinerary. Congrats to NCL for being able to keep it a Southern Caribbean cruise.

Original

Sun San Juan depart 9:00 PM

Mon At Sea

Tue Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Wed Fort-de-france, Martinique 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thu Basseterre, Saint Kitts 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Fri Philipsburg St. Maarten 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Sat St Thomas 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

SunSan Juan, Puerto Rico6:00 am

Revised

Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico depart 9:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Wed Fort-de-france, Martinique 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thu Basseterre, Saint Kitts - Nevis 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Fri St.John's, Antigua 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Sat St.Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 am

Hi we are on the 19th November sailing have not had any information from are T/A regarding the change itinerary but guess it's the same as you. are flight from U.K. Is on the 16th 3 night in SJ before are cruise really worried as to what we are going to find when we arrive, so sad for all the people who have lost so much because of these hurricanes not sure us being there so soon after is going to be good thing not even sure the hotel is even open. If people traveling before us could post a message when they return may be it could help put are minds at rest thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sailing on the Nov. 3rd cruise and have called numerous times to try and get information on the obvious changes that will be made to the cruise with no information. Why are cruises that are going out after Nov. 3rd receiving notifications on their change in itinerary? Found this link below that shows the blah, blah, blah that we are all getting from NCL.

http://cruising.org/cruise-Vacationer/industry-facts/caribbean-update

Nov.12-19 is leaving and ending SJ. Barbados, St. Kitts, Martinique, Antiqua, St. Croix. I have NO hotel, was emailed saying closed until Dec. 31, Old SJ Sheraton, can find nothing . I have rebooked air to fly in same day of cruise, the 12th, going straight to cruise ship via NCL transfer so not to be concerned about taxi not being plentiful. Transfer via ncl back to airport post cruise. Was told by a NCL rep when i asked why St. Croix because it is a MESS, still taking people of island as of yesterday., " this will be a great spa day".......yep. that was i was told. There are no excursions available when i called tonight to check for St. C. That tells me they are docking to kill time before docking SAN Juan at 6 am. No ports available for them i'm thinking other than this one. Realize the people need the income from us but if island is in shambles what do they have to share? Oh well. We are going and hoping for the best.

Nov.12-19 is leaving and ending SJ. Barbados, St. Kitts, Martinique, Antiqua, St. Croix. I have NO hotel, was emailed saying closed until Dec. 31, Old SJ Sheraton, can find nothing . I have rebooked air to fly in same day of cruise, the 12th, going straight to cruise ship via NCL transfer so not to be concerned about taxi not being plentiful. Transfer via ncl back to airport post cruise. Was told by a NCL rep when i asked why St. Croix because it is a MESS, still taking people of island as of yesterday., " this will be a great spa day".......yep. that was i was told. There are no excursions available when i called tonight to check for St. C. That tells me they are docking to kill time before docking SAN Juan at 6 am. No ports available for them i'm thinking other than this one. Realize the people need the income from us but if island is in shambles what do they have to share? Oh well. We are going and hoping for the best.

I loved this the last time is was there .

http://www.**********/blog/st-croix/st-croixs-famous-beer-drinking-pigs/

While NCL doesn't have any excursions that doesn't mean there's nothing to do on St Croix. Trip Advisor has plenty of recommendations.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147401-Activities-St_Croix_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

I'm thinking of going to Buck Island, if I still have any energy. I've been on the Western Caribbean rota of Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize three times and if you're going on a dolphin trip, wave runner, snorkel, etc every port you can get worn out after a few days. Because of that, we didn't get off Belize but once. This cruise has 5 ports in a row so I'm purposely choosing a couple sedentary excursions mixed in with the bike/snorkel/beach ones.

Worst case scenario you take a cab to a beach and lay in the sun all day.

JUST HEARD FROM ST CROIX TOURISM DEPARTMENT

Much of the island is still without poweror phones. I have not been up in that area. I would imagine they will be openif they have power. When I had asked if the Mount Pellier Domino Club open inNovember

Kent Vreeland

http://www.StCroixTourism.com

"It's about all things St. Croix!"

I just received an itinerary change for the Nov. 12 sailing of the Dawn. Still going out of San Juan. Now going to Antigua and St. Croix rather than St Maarten and St. Thomas.

We were notified by our TA. 5 new ports for us, 6 if you include San Juan! Looking forward to "anywhere but here"!

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from Jetblue cruises today with the new itinerary.

Fri Boston Depart 5:00 pm Sat At Sea Sun At Sea Mon At Sea Tue St. Johns, Antigua 8:00 am 6:00 pm Wed Fort-de-France, Martinique 8:00 am 5:00 pm Thu Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 5:00 pm Fri Basseterre, Saint Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sat St. Croix, USVI 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico Arrive 6:00 am

posted on the St Croix thread 5 days ago

Good afternoon everyone, I don't have the time or bandwidth to go through and answer individual threads so I thought I would put together an update.

The west end suffered massive damage.

Most of the wonderful places I have recommended are barely hanging on or closed outright. Freedom City Surf/Teres Veho was flattened and probably won't ever reopen. Rhythms is running on a generator with a limited menu but the beach is gone. Turtles Deli suffered terrible damage and looting but will reopen as soon as they can. Tap Deck is running on limited power but they are open and serving drinks and food.

Most roads are cleared but there are power lines and poles hanging everywhere, trees down and sidewalks and blocking some roads. Branches and bush everywhere combined with tin from roofs, in some places whole roofs are laying in the streets. Almost nobody has power so the air buzzes with generators 24/7 and extension cords are laying everywhere. Cell phone towers are down all over so service is spotty at best, same for internet access.

We are rebuilding, we are staying, we are VI-Strong, neighbors are helping each other and we will survive.

Send help if you can.

-Drake

posted on the St Croix thread 5 days ago

Good afternoon everyone, I don't have the time or bandwidth to go through and answer individual threads so I thought I would put together an update.

The west end suffered massive damage.

Most of the wonderful places I have recommended are barely hanging on or closed outright. Freedom City Surf/Teres Veho was flattened and probably won't ever reopen. Rhythms is running on a generator with a limited menu but the beach is gone. Turtles Deli suffered terrible damage and looting but will reopen as soon as they can. Tap Deck is running on limited power but they are open and serving drinks and food.

Most roads are cleared but there are power lines and poles hanging everywhere, trees down and sidewalks and blocking some roads. Branches and bush everywhere combined with tin from roofs, in some places whole roofs are laying in the streets. Almost nobody has power so the air buzzes with generators 24/7 and extension cords are laying everywhere. Cell phone towers are down all over so service is spotty at best, same for internet access.

We are rebuilding, we are staying, we are VI-Strong, neighbors are helping each other and we will survive.

Send help if you can.

-Drake

Thanks for posting. We're on the 26 Nov cruise and I can't believe we'll actually stop here.

SInce these islands rely on tourists for income, they have put priority on getting ports and tourist areas ready for ships. Without tourism, there is no money to rebuild. Consider that 80% of most shoreex involve beaches, snorkeling, diving, catamaran, boat rides,,, those types of activities are easier to restore. Cuba open days after being hit with a Cat 4 storm. Key West, sensationalized in the media, opened the next week. The media makes money by focusing only on destruction and suffering. They don’t focus on what the locals are doing to restore their income and economy.

Royal Carribbean sent out

Royal Caribbean leadership just returned from visits to San Juan and St. Thomas, and are planning a visit to St. Maarten on Monday. We were very impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and all three destinations are looking forward to welcoming back Royal Caribbean guests before the end of the year. In the next two weeks, working in conjunction with the local governments, we will announce the specific dates of our return to each of the islands.

Of course Royal Caribbean sent that out LOL!!!!! They are sailing from San Juan already!

Are you one of those that believes that "if Royal Caribbean says it's ok then it must be true?"

OMG

I posted a thread from a citizen of St Croix letting us know how devatstated it is and yet I am docking there on Nov 11th. There is no sand on the beaches, so how is that restored?

Do I feel for the islands that were hit? Of Course I do AND I have donated money to the relief funds. BUT- I don't want to dock there until their infrastructure is restored.

Of course Royal Caribbean sent that out LOL!!!!! They are sailing from San Juan already!

Are you one of those that believes that "if Royal Caribbean says it's ok then it must be true?"

OMG

I posted a thread from a citizen of St Croix letting us know how devatstated it is and yet I am docking there on Nov 11th. There is no sand on the beaches, so how is that restored?

Do I feel for the islands that were hit? Of Course I do AND I have donated money to the relief funds. BUT- I don't want to dock there until their infrastructure is restored.

Guess what? People need to make a living to have money to recover from the storms. What if you were out of work because people felt sorry for you? I would rather be able to earn some money.