Flam Railway?

Peal

We've booked the MS Trollfjord for the trip north to Kirkenes (early June 2018). I'd like some opinions on whether we should do the Flam Railway or even "Norway in a Nutshell". We're travelling from Oslo to Bergen by train, staying in Bergen for 2 or 3 nights, then flying Kirkenes to Oslo at the end of the trip.

The ship goes into Geiranger fjord but we aren't planning at this stage on doing the "Geiranger with Trollstigen pass" excursion.

We could break the Oslo to Bergen rail trip and do the Fram to Myrdal return trip, and still get to Bergen the same day. The other alternative is to stop overnight at Fram/Myrdal, and do the "Norway in a Nutshell".

What I'm wondering is whether the coastal trip will make the "Norway in a Nutshell" a bit more of the same.

PS - My wife and I did the "Norway in a Nutshell" trip back in 1978, so our memories of it are a bit hazy.

I did something similar, although I did it when returning to Oslo from Bergen on a RT Coastal cruise. Bought my tickets on-line both Oslo to Bergen, then when returning, Bergen to Myrdal, Myrdal to Flam, Flam to Myrdal (did not do the rest of the Nutshell trip), and then Myrdal to Bergen. It did make for a long day (12 hours of travel) but I enjoyed it, and did not really have time to do the entire Nutshell itinerary.

You Can take the train to Myrdal - stay one or two nights in the Myrdal/ Flåm / Gudedalen area. The you can experience the Flåmbanan as well as the boat trip Flåm to Gudedalen.

There is a shuttle bus service between Flåm and Gudedalen and Boat/train schedules at https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-gjore1/gjore/ and more inspiration.

You can then either take the train or bus to Bergen and stay there for one night. Sufficient time to explore Bergen.

The experience will be different for the coastal boat trip.

If you haven’t already visited my midnight sun blog you can find some inspiration at this link https://midtnightsuncruise.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions. We have 60 days in Europe, & we like to spend at least 2 nights in each place to avoid fatigue. I'll probably make it 3 nights in Bergen and if the weather is OK do the Norway in a Nutshell trip from there.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have 60 days in Europe, & we like to spend at least 2 nights in each place to avoid fatigue. I'll probably make it 3 nights in Bergen and if the weather is OK do the Norway in a Nutshell trip from there.

Just be aware of distances - if you want to use Bergen as your base you might easily use a lot of time for transportation. Time from Bergen to Flåm is 3 hours. It will be a better option to stay at hotels along the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Just be aware of distances - if you want to use Bergen as your base you might easily use a lot of time for transportation. Time from Bergen to Flåm is 3 hours. It will be a better option to stay at hotels along the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What would you suggest in early March?

Aside from any exhaustion issues (we'll be barely recovered from some jet lag), a very long day will probably put us in darkness at the end, not the best for any sights.

We are taking the train from Oslo to Bergen, to take the RT Hurtigruten cruise.

(We understand that at that time of year, we won't get into Trollfjord, which is unfortunate.)

Would doing some sort of day trip to Flam from Bergen (Norway in a Nutshell type of thing?) show us something unique, or will we see enough similar by the end?

(I don't think it's part of the route in the winter, but narrow winding roads on mountainsides aren't our favorite. But unusual water/fjord views would be something special, if it's different from where the ship would go.)

Many thanks, once again!

GC

I would not consider a day trip from Bergen to Flåm in March - given the short day and the long driving distance. Also at winter time roads might be closed. Spend the time either in Oslo or Bergen.

You will see the fjords and mountains from Hurtigruten ship.

We did Bergen-Myrdal-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen some years ago on our own by train and loved it! Beautiful snowy train trip and only a few people in Flam and one place open for lunch! We have done this trip in all seasons;each season is different, but we the winter trio was very special. Do go, but don’t try driving, IMO.

We did Bergen-Myrdal-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen some years ago on our own by train and loved it! Beautiful snowy train trip and only a few people in Flam and one place open for lunch! We have done this trip in all seasons;each season is different, but we the winter trio was very special. Do go, but don’t try driving, IMO.

Could you tell us more about just how you did this trip? And which month, early March by any chance?

(Here or our travel email below, in the signature area)

Many thanks.

GC

Could you tell us more about just how you did this trip? And which month, early March by any chance?

(Here or our travel email below, in the signature area)

Many thanks.

GC

We were living in Denmark and had a long term Scandinavian Rail Pass. Check out the nsb.no website (in English) for timetables to figure times and purchase information, or ask your TA to do it, or wait until you get to Norway ( trains may be sold out, depending on when you travel). We went in February; in March you will have slightly longer days. Also check out http://www.norwaynutshell.com., tours run year round, I think.

Edited by janetcbl