Internet package NCL- Will I be charged roaming fee from Verizon?

Cindyscruising

I am considering getting an internet package through NCL to use on my iphone and ipad while on board the ship. I am afraid I will be charged an exorbitant roaming fee from my carrier which is Verizon, even though I would be on the ships wi-fi.

Can anyone clarify for me how this works or share their experience? Is the internet package only to be used on the PC's in the internet cafe area?

Thanks in advance!

You put your phone in airplane mode, which cuts it off from voice and carrier data. Then turn on Wi=Fi only. Now you use the ship wi-fi only and verizon does not charge you at all. No text messaging, but imessage works and if you use Facebook messenger that works great.

Set your phone to cellular Data Roaming OFF. That will prevent any accidental roaming. And set your phone to airplane mode ON to prevent any cellular service.

EVERYONE should turn DATA ROAMING OFF - even if you want to leave the phone turned on for phone calls.

But, for wifi.internet from the ship. As said above, turn to AIRPLANE MODE,then turn WIFI on. You have to log into the wifi each time you use it, and log out if on a per minute plan.

Covered.

This applies to Verizon, ATT, Tmobile, etc.

I don't know how it worked and if it is still an option because I remember reading recently about how NCL has blocked something but my daughter would call me on iMessage and we talked. We cruise again in just over a month and I was going to get the info on what we did since I will have plenty of Internet time. I do remember if I wasn't down at Internet cafe I had to stand very near our door to get a reception.

I would usually type my message then sign into wifi to send it. Saved my mins. That way.

I have a follow up to this - I have 100 minutes free or something like that. Does that mean I don't want to connect to the ships wifi until i'm ready to use my minutes?

So maybe plan 15 minutes at the end of each day to get messages, emails etc?

I have a follow up to this - I have 100 minutes free or something like that. Does that mean I don't want to connect to the ships wifi until i'm ready to use my minutes?

So maybe plan 15 minutes at the end of each day to get messages, emails etc?

The track your minutes that you were logged on. So, plan your time. Maybe 3 minutes, maybe 8... whatever it takes. Once you connect, it starts tracking minutes. It does a very good job of SHOWING how may you have used, and what is left.

Not sure if you read all your mail online, or you download it to your phone and then read it. If you get LOTS of mail, you can download, then logoff, read and reply. then log back on.Reading online takes longer, sometimes way too long.

Verizon has a Messages+ app - download it and you can send/receive texts and make/receive phone calls to anyone for free (as per your plan, anyway). Just turn your phone on Airplane mode and then turn on Wifi. The ships wifi is slower than 4G, so phone call quality won't be amazing, but it'll get you by in a pinch.

Verizon has a Messages+ app - download it and you can send/receive texts and make/receive phone calls to anyone for free (as per your plan, anyway). Just turn your phone on Airplane mode and then turn on Wifi. The ships wifi is slower than 4G, so phone call quality won't be amazing, but it'll get you by in a pinch.

To use any app like this, you have to log into the ships wifi, right? And ships wifi is on a per minute, per MB, or unlimited plan depending on what you buy.

(unless this is some new deal they have that now includes shipboard wifi)

You need to address this with VZ.

Not really - wifi internet and data are two completely different and unrelated things. No need to contact Verizon; they have nothing to do with the ship's wifi. All OP would need to contact Verizon over is cellular service, if they plan to use it.

I have a similar question. I have Verizon and we are sailing to Alaska. If I turn off roaming I shouldn’t get any charges right? Because we aren’t leaving the US or Canada...?

I've not used Verizon in Alaska or Canada so don't know how the coverage works. But yes, if you turn your cellular roaming (both data and voice) off, you shouldn't get any additional charges. The phone simply won't work if you aren't in network. I did this in San Juan and calls went through but data wouldn't. So the calling network was in network but the data network wasn't.

I have a similar question. I have Verizon and we are sailing to Alaska. If I turn off roaming I shouldn’t get any charges right? Because we aren’t leaving the US or Canada...?

While in port in Alaska, Verizon is domestic, no different than in lower 48. However, while the ship is at sea or in a Canadian port, yes, turn data off or "data off while roaming". During that time if you wish you can leave "voice on while roaming" if you want to use the Verizon texting plan. That is .05c for each received and .50c for each sent. Texting works through voice. However, don't answer any calls or listen to voice mail or it will be $2.50 a minute if you do.