Do you take your kids out of school to cruise?

ToothDoc78

As an elementary school teacher let me first say that elementary is just as important as middle and high school. Taking your kids out of school makes more work for the teacher. In some districts, not mine, the teacher will have give give all of the missing work (extra work), the teacher will then have to grade all of the work (extra work) and then the teacher might have to remediate the kids on what they are struggle with (extra work that might not have needed to be done if they didn't miss the week). Already over worked teachers having to do more work. Your decision to pull your kids out does not just impact you and your child.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

This. The only time I pull the kids out for vacation is Friday of a family wedding weekend so we can fly to wherever we need to go before rehearsal dinner.

I'm considering signing the kids out an hour early before our cruise this fall so we can get on the road to drive to the cruise port, and if we wait until 2:30 dismissal we'll be in major traffic. But I figure the last hour of the day before week-long Fall Break begins is probably filler time anyway, so I'm not too terribly concerned.

Definitely would not sign them out for a week.

I don’t. We cruise or take vacations over the summer. Plus for summer camp, you don’t pay when you are not there so I end up saving money when we travel in the summer. Dh and I work full time so summer camp costs are inevitable.

Yes! Very good point. 10 weeks of day camp for two kids during the summer, plus a week for Fall Break, 2 weeks for Winter Break, and a week for Spring Break. Plenty of opportunities for travel during any of those weeks, and then I don't have to pay for camp that week.

I find that it's hot and crowded when vacationing in the summer, so I prefer to do Fall Break and Spring Break (our spring week is early compared to most) when the crowds are much smaller. And I still get the benefit of saving the cost of the camp!

If we went during the school year, I'd be losing the cost of their aftercare for those days, not to mention would have to figure out how/when to do makeups for dance, skating, etc. And then would need to pay for camp during the school breaks.

We get just under six weeks for our Christmas holidays, including the main Christmas days. It leaves us about four weeks to fit in holidays and get back in time to organise ourselves for the new school year. Unfortunately, it also means that the costs are exorbitant, as they know that's our only time to get a big chunk of holidays.

But that's how it is, and we have to deal with it. I'm a teacher, and I'm not working at a school at the moment, but when I am, I certainly won't be able to take time off to go away, and neither will our kids.

Edit: I'm working as a casual teacher at the moment, and I am not going to look for an ongoing role until after next year. We have planned a cruise that is personally relevant to our family history, and it does entail taking two weeks off at the end of term 2 and one week off at the start of term 3. I hate that we're doing this, but it's a special event, that we'll never get to do again like this.

Edited by spersephone
Extra information