Expedition Voyage Journals Missing?

mrlevin

Marc, we were booked on the Cloud expedition this January from Ushuaia to Capetown last Summer

In Late summer last year I read the Journal of the 2017 USH to CPT trip and the Expedition staff posted that due to the sea conditions they missed many ports enroute to Capetown. This forced the staff to rush to prepare lectures to fill the time now guests would spend on board vs on landings at these ports. So we canceled not wanting to chance we would be on a looong crossing (interesting this year's USH to CPT) had much better luck and made all scheduled port stops. As you know we switched our SoAm cruise to the Mariner Lima to BA with you.

Related this backstory because once I posted on the Silversea board, that after reading the journal we canceled this expedition cruise, the next day or two the hot link disappeared. Don't know that my post was the cause but wanted to share.

They have been missing for quite some time. Not sure why, but the telling of the truth of an expedition voyage is probably the reason. Those of us who have done lots of expedition cruising know that ship happens, there are always a lot of itinerary changes at the last minute, missed stops, etc. I think that someone who is new to this type of cruising would e very turned off by that. So that is probably why they took them down.

Hi Bill, nice to see you too.

So, just a little more off topic. We are now WL for 3 segments of the 2020 WC (Valparaiso to Singapore) but hope to clear at least two. Would have preferred to start in Ft. Lauderdale (since we are ATL) but we did most of the ports on the first two segments last year on Regent (with Marc and his lovely wife).

Good friends who often sail the Whisper WC segments sincerely believe these WC segments are done a step up from the typical voyage. So, we gave in and WL knowing from our Regent WC segment experience that due to the nature of the WC, groups form early during the voyage and stick together throughout.

Back on topic, Marc if you want I can ask Mark Conroy if SS has any plans to re publish the expedition journals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are now WL for 3 segments of the 2020 WC (Valparaiso to Singapore) but hope to clear at least two. Would have preferred to start in Ft. Lauderdale (since we are ATL) but we did most of the ports on the first two segments last year on Regent (with Marc and his lovely wife).

Could I ask a few (I hope) non-intrusive questions about your situation.

1) When did you get on the waitlist? How long after the WC was announced?

2) Are all people desiring segments being waitlisted, because (quite reasonably) SS does not want to tie up cabins for segment cruisers when they might have to turn away a guest wanting to book the entire WC?

3) Do you have any idea as to when you might learn you are confirmed? Were you led to believe that confirmation is likely - eventually?

Thanks.

Back on topic, Marc if you want I can ask Mark Conroy if SS has any plans to re publish the expedition journals.

Wes, no; if I were to write to Mark, I would ask him for a modification to the modified Silver Explorer itinerary next week. I don't think I want to do that, either.

Marc

Hi Observer,

We were wait listed for these three segments (Valpo to PPT, PPT to Syd, Syd to Sing) two weeks ago, and confirmed for $250pp (refundable)

Based on last years WC segment bookings, we expect to either clear the WL or not next month. (in other words, WC segment bookers for the 2019 WC were cleared in August of last year)

Yes, believe SS cruise critics that desire to book a segment of the 2020 WC are now WL. Do know that the Vista cabins now are all WL for this WC.

A technique if you r willing to deposit (for entire WC) $25K+ would be to book a Veranda for the entire WC in 2020. Then a few months later cancel the segments you do not want to cruise. This is a method to get the suite you want now, vs wait to a WL Clears and not knowing where your suite that clears the WL will be.

Hope this helps.

Hi Observer,

We were wait listed for these three segments (Valpo to PPT, PPT to Syd, Syd to Sing) two weeks ago, and confirmed for $250pp (refundable)

Based on last years WC segment bookings, we expect to either clear the WL or not next month. (in other words, WC segment bookers for the 2019 WC were cleared in August of last year)

Yes, believe SS cruise critics that desire to book a segment of the 2020 WC are now WL. Do know that the Vista cabins now are all WL for this WC.

A technique if you r willing to deposit (for entire WC) $25K+ would be to book a Veranda for the entire WC in 2020. Then a few months later cancel the segments you do not want to cruise. This is a method to get the suite you want now, vs wait to a WL Clears and not knowing where your suite that clears the WL will be.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to the removal of Voyage Journal's (Wes's explanation makes sense) they have also removed the listing of expedition staff from the website. Our documents did identify three of the staff but that was it. I never get Silversea brochures but they may still have the listing of all or many of the staff.

Marc