Does Princess have any reciprocal loyalty points?

chrismch

I would have 47 cruises if I combined all the Carnival cruise lines...And I am not alone....

Not the whole ship but a good portion. On last Royal class ship there were over 600 of us elites on Princess. If everyone is elite then no one is. There are recent threads about reducing benefits or making a new category of at least 1,000 days on Princess and doing away with cruise #s. We are overwhelming the system. Nothing yet for sure but something has to give. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival Corporation & Plc owns the cruise lines. Carnival Cruise Lines is only one of several owned by Carnival Corporation. It does not own Princess or any other cruise line.

Only P&O and Princess have any reciprocal loyalty recognition and that’s because P&O owned Princess before being bought by Carnival Corporation.

According to senior Princess officers with whom I’ve talked, there won’t be any reciprocity between Carnival Corporation cruise line loyalty programs due to anti-trust laws. Carnival Corporation has close to 50% of the major cruise line market.

While they might give that as a reason, and it makes a good excuse, I am not sure that the anti-trust excuse would hold water. CCL's market share would come up if they try to purchase another cruise line. But driving policy within company owned lines, not really.

While CCL might be 50% of the cruise industry it is really considered against the entire travel, tour, vacation, hotel industry. So they might be 50% of the cruise industry, but less than 5% of the entire travel, vacation industry.

Cruise lines ability to price, is driven as much by competing vacation alternatives, as it is by other lines.

It is similar when one considers Amazon. It is the 600lb gorilla when it comes to on line sales, so one would wonder why there are no antitrust considerations as they buy up other companies. That is because they are compared within the entire class of retail (small market share), not just the class of online retail, large market share.

Unless your senior management included the corporate General Counsel or similar I would take it with a grain of salt.

I would put the reason down as that they have not seen any reason to do so in the past. That they do not have a history of combining programs (with the exception of when they purchased P&O which was a unique transaction in that they agreed to maintain the P&O UK corporate structure in order to get UK approval on the purchase). As such they have not had any reason to do so and with the current growth of high status members already crowding the services, the problems caused by doing so far outweighs and benefits.

Edited by RDC1

Not the whole ship but a good portion. On last Royal class ship there were over 600 of us elites on Princess. If everyone is elite then no one is. There are recent threads about reducing benefits or making a new category of at least 1,000 days on Princess and doing away with cruise #s. We are overwhelming the system. Nothing yet for sure but something has to give. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It won't be to many years before 80% of the ship is either Platinum or Elite on some cruises.

It sort of defeats the status program as it is now.

If almost everyone qualifies why bother having it at all.

It won't be to many years before 80% of the ship is either Platinum or Elite on some cruises.

It sort of defeats the status program as it is now.

If almost everyone qualifies why bother having it at all.

If you have a free mini bar does it matter if everyone else does

Are you serious, the whole ship would Elite.

Yes I am serious why not reward loyal passengers it’s a win for the passenger plus cruise line as you might jump on a carnival ship as you will get a better rate and maybe an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When everyone is Elite, no one is Elite.

If you have a free mini bar does it matter if everyone else does

Not that so much but does it matter that everyone on the ship has priority boarding, access to the the special lounge, free laundry, priority line at the PSD and priority tendering.

These perks that were once special have become so overused and crowded that it's sometimes hardly worth using them any more.

• 2 weeks later...
While they might give that as a reason, and it makes a good excuse, I am not sure that the anti-trust excuse would hold water. CCL's market share would come up if they try to purchase another cruise line. But driving policy within company owned lines, not really.

While CCL might be 50% of the cruise industry it is really considered against the entire travel, tour, vacation, hotel industry. So they might be 50% of the cruise industry, but less than 5% of the entire travel, vacation industry.

Cruise lines ability to price, is driven as much by competing vacation alternatives, as it is by other lines.

It is similar when one considers Amazon. It is the 600lb gorilla when it comes to on line sales, so one would wonder why there are no antitrust considerations as they buy up other companies. That is because they are compared within the entire class of retail (small market share), not just the class of online retail, large market share.

Unless your senior management included the corporate General Counsel or similar I would take it with a grain of salt.

I would put the reason down as that they have not seen any reason to do so in the past. That they do not have a history of combining programs (with the exception of when they purchased P&O which was a unique transaction in that they agreed to maintain the P&O UK corporate structure in order to get UK approval on the purchase). As such they have not had any reason to do so and with the current growth of high status members already crowding the services, the problems caused by doing so far outweighs and benefits.

I have to agree with you here! If "senior management" are to be believed, why would not Royal Caribbean CL be in breach of anti trust laws too by honouring loyalty status achieved with their other cruise lines? On our first Celebrity cruise we were accorded Elite status because of our Diamond status with Royal!