Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:09 AM.
#41
S Fla
1,620 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by wripro
The bottom line is no one's opinion will count regarding dress codes. It's the market that drives everything and if SS wants to court a younger demographic (which it most certainly does, the reason there are now so many seven day cruises) they will relax the dress code. Younger people simply do not want to pack a tuxedo for one two formal nights.

You are right as they have to get younger demographics are they will go they way of Holland America

Have 2 formal and a few semi is fine but on a 11 day cruise Caribbean cruise to have 2 formal and 6 semi formal and 3 casual . What I found strange is on semi formal all you need to do is wear a jacket into the dining room. We are going on Spirit March 31 going to be interesting how many semi they have. Last time we went they had 2 4 and 4

I will take odds they loosen up the dress code.
#42
California
1,039 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Travelcat2
eliana, I think you will enjoy Silversea despite some unkind comments made by a few posters. IMO, elderly men with "turkey necks" look worse wearing a tuxedo than wearing a sports jacket but that is just my opinion
. . . .
[snip]

Women really have no difficulty meeting the dress code on board but it is a bit more difficult for men. Having a dark suit and sports jacket seems to do the trick.
. . . . [snip]

.
1. I had to laugh a bit at your "turkey neck" comment, oh so true, though I don't think the 'pro-formal' comments by some posters have been unkind, just assertive
Note BTW it is not just men who might have "turkey necks" or otherwise look better in less formal attire. With some exceptions, however, most pax, even the very old, DO look quite lovely and "special" when dressed up. As stated in my prior post on this thread, DH and I try and avoid mandatory formal nights in MDRs, but I still enjoy looking at and studying people who dress up and who pull it off (I think the only attire DH notices at all is if someone looks obviously ridiculous, e.g., a heavily made up young woman in a faux-fur stretchy leopard-themed mini-dress, with super-high tottering heels, accompanied by a man old enough to be her grandfather, we saw at a SS cruise to the Grand Prix of Monaco).

2.
Due to a combination of medication I must take, as well as tincture of time, I have my own "absolutely cannot wear" formal night struggles (nothing too tight or it may hurt, or the buttons may pop after the fourth course; only certain fabrics are tolerated or I will scratch or get a rash; nothing too warm or I will sweat, layers are needed; nothing that might make me fall and break a hip on my way to the loo, etc). I would love to once again be able to wear long evening gowns or clingy cocktail dresses made of whatever elegant material looks the best, or low-cut tops, plus some glittery precariously high-heeled evening sandals, but those days are prematurely over for me to attempt without looking silly and/or squirming and sweating in my seat. But almost everyone without major illnesses can still meet the basic requirements of formal night, if needed.

3.
Oddly, most of the younger generations of affluent pax would look great in formal attire, as they are usually fitter and healthier (and, frankly, have better physiques) but they are usually the ones most opposed! Modern, well-paid techies in particular who are typically used to wearing T shirts and jeans (often with holes, like Steve Jobs) while working 60 plus hours per week hunched over keyboards and other electronics have no intention of worrying much about clothing unless they absolutely have to, in their limited vacation time, so they might not pick SS, if they think about cruising at all. The luxury Europa 2 I recently got off of is trying to get such people onto their ship (successfully, from what I could see), offering a resort casual tieless dinner dress code plus lots of "active" options (bicycling and hiking excursions at ports, big fitness center, etc.). This is likely the new demographics of luxury cruising, emphasizing elegant casualness, but these people sure looked great when they got gussied up for Xmas and New Years!

Definitely, as suggested earlier, people should try different lines to find what suits them overall. DH and I tried Regent once after SS seemed too formal, precisely because of the dress code, and felt comfortable with it, but the dress code was not enough to keep us there (we went back to SS for 3 more cruises, after buying DH a nice suit )

4. However, until the rules are changed on SS or any other line with dress codes, I think it is reasonable that the existing rules of the SS line, and resultant expectations of the pax who choose SS for "formal" attire in certain venues (which is reasonable and doesn't even require tuxes), should be respected, as Eliana intends to do, as a sign of courtesy and respect to those pax. I see similar discussions on the mainstream forums that have formal nights, e.g., Holland America, where some pax love having the dress-up opportunity and resent having people admitted to the MDR who do not adhere. They do not want their special evenings made less special by having some guy in an untucked T-shirt spread with political messages on it sitting next to them, while they are wearing suit and long dress, even if the T-shirted guy has showered, does not stink, is "presentable" and might be interesting conversation.
#43
Washington State
25,843 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I cannot see Silversea going the way of Holland America but they may go the way of other luxury cruise lines - eventually. Many people still dress up on other luxury lines - even though the dress code is more "Elegant Casual" or "Formal Optional".

Now that I've lived through the changes (on Regent) of going from "Formal", "Informal", etc., to "Elegant Casual", I would prefer a dress code that does not allow polo shirts -- just dress shirts. IMO, polo shirts are not elegant by any means. My DH wears long sleeved dress shirts with slacks on most nights and adds a sports jacket on "special" nights or when we eat in a reservation-only dining venue. When dining with an officer, he puts on a tie.

I don't think that anyone is looking for a sloppy dress code - nor one where people looked like trussed up turkeys. There is a happy medium -- even young people seem fine with that.
#44
S Fla
1,620 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Travelcat2
I cannot see Silversea going the way of Holland America but they may go the way of other luxury cruise lines - eventually. Many people still dress up on other luxury lines - even though the dress code is more "Elegant Casual" or "Formal Optional".

Now that I've lived through the changes (on Regent) of going from "Formal", "Informal", etc., to "Elegant Casual", I would prefer a dress code that does not allow polo shirts -- just dress shirts. IMO, polo shirts are not elegant by any means. My DH wears long sleeved dress shirts with slacks on most nights and adds a sports jacket on "special" nights or when we eat in a reservation-only dining venue. When dining with an officer, he puts on a tie.

I don't think that anyone is looking for a sloppy dress code - nor one where people looked like trussed up turkeys. There is a happy medium -- even young people seem fine with that.

I meant the loss of passengers due to aging .
#45
Washington State
25,843 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Stevanb
I meant the loss of passengers due to aging .
Oh - okay - now I get it. However, since the oldest baby boomers are turning 70 this year, you would have a heck of a long wait as they can be cruising for the next 20 years!
#46
S Fla
1,620 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Travelcat2
Oh - okay - now I get it. However, since the oldest baby boomers are turning 70 this year, you would have a heck of a long wait as they can be cruising for the next 20 years!

Baby Boomers are the ones the Holland is trying to get. Was on Celebrity in December mostly Baby Boomers. Holland mostly pre Baby Boomers.
In my case as a Baby Boomer like to see more less semi formal but no polo shirts. I think you will see it sooner than later
#47
Sunshine Coast, Australia
543 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Travelcat2
..... However, since the oldest baby boomers are turning 70 this year, you would have a heck of a long wait as they can be cruising for the next 20 years!
I certainly HOPE so !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
IBERIA 1969 Sydney -Fiji - Sydney
ALEXANDR PUSHKIN 1988 3 day Bicentennial TALL SHIPS cruise Sydney
SIKUMI 2006 8 day Inside Passage Alaska
ATHALA II 2008 8 days Galapagos cruise
ORION July 2009 Broome - Darwin
SILVER EXPLORER (PRINCE ALBERT II) August 2010 Arctic
ORION December 2010 Antarctic -Mawsons Hut
SILVER SHADOW July 2011 - Incheon to Anchorage
SILVER WIND July 2012 - Black Sea -Istanbul to Istanbul
SILVER CLOUD November 2012 Barbados -Amazon -Barbados
SILVER EXPLORER March/April 2013 Capetown to Accra Ghana
SILVER EXPLORER July 2013 Reykjavik Iceland to Churchill Canada
SILVER EXPLORER September 2014 Sapporo Japan to Fiji 30days B2B
Belmond ORCAELLA December 2014 Burma River cruise 12 days Mandalay to Bagan
SILVER CLOUD June 2015 18 days Copenhagen/Archangel/Copenhagen
SILVER EXPLORER September 2015 Nassau to Guayaquil 24 days B2B
CALEDONIAN SKY April 2016 Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise 13 days. NEVER AGAIN !
SILVER WHISPER August 2016 Stockholm/SPB/Copenhagen/Southampton B2B 18 days
SILVER EXPLORER March 2017 Ushuaia to Cape Town - Cape to Cape 22 days
SILVER EXPLORER April 2018 Mazatlan to Vancouver 22 days

FUTURE CRUISES :









SILVER WIND MAY 16 2019
Tower Bridge - British Isles Cruise
14 days.

#48
UK
910 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I once got asked to leave the bar at Claridge's Hotel in London. Not because I was dressed improperly but because the lady I was with - the actress Jeanne Moreau - was wearing a trouser suit. I also remember visiting the actor Dirk Bogarde in his usual suite at the Connaught Hotel. He was wearing an open-necked shirt and jeans. After a while he went into his bedroom to change into a suit and tie, explaining that the Connaught gave him a complimentary room on the condition that he was seen in the lobby and the lounge each day. He had to dress accordingly.

How things have changed. You can dine at both hotels these days and not bother with a tie. You can even wear jeans. I'm sure there are some people who seriously resent the lapse into smart casual almost everywhere. I remember once rather resenting a family of Americans dining at a two-star Michelin hotel restaurant in London and they were wearing T-shorts and drinking Coke. I resented it but endured it.

I think that there are only two establishments in the entire UK that continues to insist on a jacket-and-tie for men - the Ritz Restaurant in London and Inverlochy Castle in Scotland. I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

And then there are cruise ships . . .
#49
MI, USA
5,969 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by Fletcher
I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

Collared shirt required at dinner, no flip flops or swim attire at any time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Venetian Society - 26 days
Captain's Club - 30 points
Crown & Anchor -132 points
#50
772 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by Fletcher
I I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

And then there are cruise ships . . .
This is what is so wonderful about instant communications in this day and age. You don't need to wonder. A simple phone call or e-mail could answer a dress requirement question and a prospective customer can determine whether or not this particular cruise line is one that would work for them. The cruise lines themselves could be more helpful by not using vague language like "resort casual"...what resort? club med? or "country club casual" which may be a regional term. Private clubs in my area always require a jacket and tie in the dining room for dinner...or suit. Perhaps public clubs are different. Simple wording followed by enforcement would quickly help a company to decide whether or not their business model was working and whether or not a change needed to be made. Comments by some about who does and doesn't look good dressed one way or another are amusing at best and rather condescending. Try to pick a company that best suits your needs rather than trying to force your needs on others who have chosen a company that best suits their needs as described by the company itself.
#51
UK
8,464 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by fizzy
This is what is so wonderful about instant communications in this day and age. You don't need to wonder. A simple phone call or e-mail could answer a dress requirement question and a prospective customer can determine whether or not this particular cruise line is one that would work for them. The cruise lines themselves could be more helpful by not using vague language like "resort casual"...what resort? club med? or "country club casual" which may be a regional term. Private clubs in my area always require a jacket and tie in the dining room for dinner...or suit. Perhaps public clubs are different. Simple wording followed by enforcement would quickly help a company to decide whether or not their business model was working and whether or not a change needed to be made. Comments by some about who does and doesn't look good dressed one way or another are amusing at best and rather condescending. Try to pick a company that best suits your needs rather than trying to force your needs on others who have chosen a company that best suits their needs as described by the company itself.
I agree totally.

No one should book a cruise with a clearly defined dress code with the intention of not respecting it. They should book another line. Equally those that enjoy dressing up shouldn't show intolerance or rudeness to those that do not meet their preferences. Cruise lines should insist on their published standards being met and then those that enjoy dressing up should accept whoever is allowed in to eat because from then on any argument they have is with the line not the passenger. Good manners should pervade.

Personally, I don't think there is any doubt that societies generally are loosening dress standards as are cruise lines. C'est la vie. In time, nobs like me won't be confined to barracks on dressing up nights.



Jeff
#52
Buckeye, AZ
175 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Fletcher
I once got asked to leave the bar at Claridge's Hotel in London. Not because I was dressed improperly but because the lady I was with - the actress Jeanne Moreau - was wearing a trouser suit. I also remember visiting the actor Dirk Bogarde in his usual suite at the Connaught Hotel. He was wearing an open-necked shirt and jeans. After a while he went into his bedroom to change into a suit and tie, explaining that the Connaught gave him a complimentary room on the condition that he was seen in the lobby and the lounge each day. He had to dress accordingly.
This is the most awesome thing I've ever read on Cruise Critic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruiser on Sitmar, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Windjammer, SeaDream, Disney and Regent
#54
Washington State
25,843 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Catlover54: You and I were posting at the same time yesterday so I didn't read your post until today. IMO, your comments were right on point. Laughingly agree that "turkey necks" look fine dressed up but I feel that the anything like a tuxedo that is a bit tight around the neck accentuates the issue.

Stevenb: Very surprised that Holland America is trying to entice Baby Boomers to sail with them. From what I hear about the average age on HAL, I suppose they consider Baby Boomers youngsters

Mark_K: "Collared" shirts is why some Regent passengers wear polo shirts. Some people would wear collared t-shirts if it were permitted. .

Fletcher: Thank you so much for sharing the stories and how few places in the England still require formal attire. This makes it even more puzzling why some Brits feel so strongly about having formal dress on Silversea. My DH is British and has no desire to wear a tuxedo (he is the one that commented that men of a certain age - with "turkey necks" should not wear them). He is very comfortable with either a suit or sports coat.

rojaan19: As a proud Baby Boomer, I certainly hope so

fizzy: I'm fairly confident that most of us understand the dress codes of each cruise line and do make decisions as to which line to cruise based on our personal criteria. It is nice, however, to be able to discuss how some people would like things to be. For instance, I would love if Seabourn changed their smoking policy, if Regent would do away with included excursions and if Silversea had a slightly less formal dress code. Discussions such as this one could cause some cruise lines to make changes. On the other hand, I'm not holding my breath!
#55
CA, USA
14,501 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Wise not to hold you breath, TC2. We each have to decide which policy offends us most and stay away from that line. My own personal choice is staying away from Regent because of the shore excursions. It offends me. Others will have different perspectives but talking it to death won't change a thing.
#56
Aspen, Colorado
193 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I'll be on the Silver Explorer in April/May and have read that dinner attire is more casual than larger ships. Has anyone been on the expedition ships lately? What are after-6pm attire requirements?

Please help... THANKS!

Jen
#57
883 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by Mark_K
Collared shirt required at dinner, no flip flops or swim attire at any time.
I believe jacket and tie are still required for Bingo!
#60
Michigan
383 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
DH and I are booked for 11 nights in the Caribbean on the Wind next February. I am a bit surprised to see 3 formal nights on this sailing, especially given the Caribbean. itinerary with no sea days.
Don't get me wrong, I love dressing up, and always follow the dress code, even though the previous ships I have sailed on haven't done one bit of enforcing! However, I believe this cruise DH and I will have one or two formal nights, and perhaps enjoy the room service for the other night(s). We have pretty adventurous excursions planned for every day, and I'm not sure we will have the energy or desire to put on the tux and ball gown. By the way, I am 31, and therefore probably a much younger demographic that usual on SS....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed cruises:
2005 Adventure of the Seas
2007 Serenade of the Seas
2009 Serenade of the Seas
2010 Serenade of the Seas B2B
2011 Celebrity Summit B2B
2012 Celebrity Constellation B2B
2013 Celebrity Silhouette 14 night
2017 Silversea Silver Wind 11 night