Dinner Reservations has there ever been no formal nights?

bobolz

Wondering if anyone has experience with not having ANY formal nights on a 15 day (non expedition) cruise? We are traveling to Asia in October on Shadow. the first silverseas agent said I would be able to view which nights were formal on my itinerary when reservations were available for booking. I didn’t see anything on the calendar, so I called again and the 2nd agent said there were none on this cruise. I just want to make sure that they don’t add them later since we won’t bother bringing any formal wear. Look forward to any response . Thanks

Go to 'My Silversea' from Silversea.com - there's a link on the upper right corner - (register if you haven't done that yet) and then to 'bookings' and then to 'activities' and it should show you the formal nights, on the left under the dates.

It would be extremely unlikely that there would be no formals on a 15 day - I'd expect at least two, possibly three.

We are booked on a 15 day cruise on the Muse in October and there are no formal nights showing on the My Silversea page. I never thought there might not be any formal nights rather a delay in posting. Also be aware that when the information is posted it may change on the actual cruise. The happen to us on our last cruise on the Cloud.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Jolly and SJS for your replies.

Jolly- I had already gone on my Silverseas page and made the dinner reservations. There was no text under the dates indicating whether it was a formal night, which is why I called to confirm with Silverseas . That agent confirmed he too saw no formal nights. I also thought it seemed strange.

SJS- I see you have had numerous cruises with Silverseas and you also saw no formal nights on your October cruise and you had never seen that b4? I’m concerned when you say they changed the formal nights after you got on the cruise. We booked the Non MDR restaurants so that we had an option on formal nights if we didn’t want to participate. I would rather not book a specialty rest every night just in case they changed the dates after we got on the cruise. Curious, when do they normally schedule formal nights? I was thinking possibly on sea days, versus port intensive days?

Thanks again

A Shadow cruise in October also has no formal nights indicated on My Silversea. Maybe they just haven't been scheduled yet?

Curious, when do they normally schedule formal nights? I was thinking possibly on sea days, versus port intensive days?
If there are two, typically they are the second night and the penultimate night. But this can change if the ship stays late in port on those nights.

Be careful. The indication for formal or casual evenings is not always shown on my silver sea. I will cruise in December and at the moment there is nothing mentioned on my silver sea regarding the dress code of each evening but I know that it will comme sooner or later...

Thanks unfathomable. so you have never seen on your Silverseas calendar that there were NO formal nights posted, so that is unusual?

SSCA- thanks, but my cruise is within the 120 day period and silverseas told me that they would be posted when it was time to make reservations, which I have already done. I would think that they would have told me that they have yet to post them and to check back later, but they simply said there was non scheduled. I assume based on your response , your experience has been that they display at some point ?

Edited by bobolz

On a 10 day cruise I went on last year there were no formal nights shown on My Silversea, however it did say on SS website that normally a 10 day will have 2 formal nights... and when we arrived in our cabin the itinerary showed the 2 evenings and the dates of the formals. I had booked the Grill for one of the formal evenings so I just asked the butler if he would change my bookings which he did.

My August cruise for this year does already show the dates for the formal.

Thanks zen blue-

I guess I’ll just wait to see.

Another question to all, It looks like you can book unlimited amount of dinner reservations. I booked a little more than half of the nights so we have an alternative to the MDR depending on our mood. I’m assuming they will honor those, or are they simply requests and we won’t know for sure until we arrive? We asked for the early option which is 7-8. Assuming that is the earliest?

Thanks again

Hi yes as far as I know it is just a request but I have always got the bookings that I have entered on MySilversea 7-8 is the early booking time and you can put in a request for every evening if you want. Also it would be good to know others experience but if you have any sea days that is normally a formal night.

Thanks Jolly and SJS for your replies.

Jolly- I had already gone on my Silverseas page and made the dinner reservations. There was no text under the dates indicating whether it was a formal night, which is why I called to confirm with Silverseas . That agent confirmed he too saw no formal nights. I also thought it seemed strange.

SJS- I see you have had numerous cruises with Silverseas and you also saw no formal nights on your October cruise and you had never seen that b4? I’m concerned when you say they changed the formal nights after you got on the cruise. We booked the Non MDR restaurants so that we had an option on formal nights if we didn’t want to participate. I would rather not book a specialty rest every night just in case they changed the dates after we got on the cruise. Curious, when do they normally schedule formal nights? I was thinking possibly on sea days, versus port intensive days?

Thanks again

Generally the formal nights have been there when dinner bookings opened. We always anticipate formal nights but not to formal. I generally take a dark suit and tie which is also used for informal night without the tie. Our last cruise to Norway way the only time I recall formal night being changed from what was posted. Originally I did not like the formal nights but now just accept them as part of the Silversea experience packing a suit and tie is a pain but not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. If I had to rent a tux that would be another story. Silversea has been great for us. Enjoy your cruise! On our first cruise I got away with a sport coat and tie.

I know you have been checking MySilversea for the formal nights. We did not see our formal night posting for a while. As previously noted from the main MYSILVERSEA screen click the Dining Link at the top under "RESERVE NOW" you will come to the screen shown below. The formal nights are shown on the left under the date. It's easy to miss.

Happy Sailing

Neilio

formal.thumb.JPG.7eaba67189df8f659c114e739dd16720.JPG

Our first"classic" Silversea cruise is booked for Oct 16th on the Silver Spirit. We are long time Crystal and Regent cruisers and have also sailed Silver Galápagos. We certainly remember when Crystal had formal and informal nights and dresses accordingly. In preparation , we asked our travel agent to check with Siversea to determine the number of formal and informal nights. He was told that there were NONE! Only smart casual for all nights! I told him to double confirm which he did. Is this a brand new change? I'm totally confused .

Thanks everyone for your replies. So looks like most of us cruising in October don’t have formal nights posted and like Sugar said their TA had also called Silverseas and they said NO formal nights. Maybe will check next month since looks like Archipelago ‘s Sept cruise is showing formal nights posted.

Thanks again to all that responded with what you pack for formal nights. So for men , one suit and one jacket, possibly get away with just sports jacket and tie .

Hope everyone enjoys their trips. This will be the first with Silverseas for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Along the same lines of things possibly disappearing, the following is from CC Contributor Janice Wald Henderson about the Silver Spirit, and we are a bit surprised and disappointed:

"Dining venues are sleeker, more contemporary and certainly more appealing to a younger clientele.

Albeit small, the only initial disappointment is the disappearance of afternoon tea in La Terrazza. However, you can find the elements of afternoon tea in the Arts Cafe, or your butler can bring an assortment of tea, cakes and finger sandwiches to your suite."

On our recent Spirit cruise for the first 4 days there was no afternoon tea served anywhere as the arts cafe wasn’t open. The only thing available in the afternoon seemed to Pizza. The crew obviously didnt know what was being served where and when.

From the pool bar we were first told to try the Panorama lounge. They then sent us back to the pool bar who in turn sent us upstairs to Spaccanopoli for the worst pizza I’ve ever been unable to eat in my life. Luckily on the fourth day the arts cafe opened and was serving a very passable afternoon tea, albeit in a cardboard cup.

On our recent Spirit cruise for the first 4 days there was no afternoon tea served anywhere as the arts cafe wasn’t open. The only thing available in the afternoon seemed to Pizza. The crew obviously didnt know what was being served where and when.

From the pool bar we were first told to try the Panorama lounge. They then sent us back to the pool bar who in turn sent us upstairs to Spaccanopoli for the worst pizza I’ve ever been unable to eat in my life. Luckily on the fourth day the arts cafe opened and was serving a very passable afternoon tea, albeit in a cardboard cup.

This was, of course, unfortunate and disappointing. However, it is worth reminding readers that your recent cruise was the inaugural cruise after the dry dock stretching of Spirit. This is apparently not SOP for Silversea. I trust that cardboard cups are not currently being offered to guests taking afternoon tea in Arts Cafe (rather than taking tea/sweets back to their suites).