Just off the Spirit ... A few thoughts ...

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:16 PM.
#41
403 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Observer
This is worrisome. I guess I am not among the "decent people" because I ask for the removal on every cruise and feel no discomfort.

As for the owner matching contributions: Were he to do so, there would doubtless be complaints that he was bragging about his charity, that what he contributes to the charity is no one else's business, &c.

In any case, this may all become moot shortly if the new majority owner RC decides to pull the plug on this solicitation.
Each to their own Observer, its not that your not a decent person at all but as a typical Brit I feel hugely uncomfortable being forced into this position. Its difficult to explain but to me the action of having to go and tell someone that I want my contribution to be withdrawn tells that person that either 1) I think the charity is not worthwhile or 2) Im too mean to contribute anyway.

As for the owner / company offering to match the contributions, that is in no way bragging, that is an encouragement of their belief in the good work of the charity and a reassurance to people. Nobody is asking to know what the family/company donate but as it stands they are shaming people into donating without offering any sort of assurance that they donate a single penny themselves. People im Sure would take some reassurance from knowing that each dollar they donated was doubled and feel a lot less uneasy about the whole cloak and dagger thing.
#42
2,504 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Daveywavey70
Each to their own Observer, its not that your not a decent person at all but as a typical Brit I feel hugely uncomfortable being forced into this position. Its difficult to explain but to me the action of having to go and tell someone that I want my contribution to be withdrawn tells that person that either 1) I think the charity is not worthwhile or 2) Im too mean to contribute anyway.
I take your point. I should perhaps have mentioned -- as I have in previous threads on this topic -- that I use the occasion of my opt-out visit to Reception to make my (IMHO fairly generous) contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund. So I hope that the person staffing Reception and doing the paperwork for my contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund imagines that I am possessed of at least a scintilla of decency.
#43
403 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Observer
I take your point. I should perhaps have mentioned -- as I have in previous threads on this topic -- that I use the occasion of my opt-out visit to Reception to make my (IMHO fairly generous) contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund. So I hope that the person staffing Reception and doing the paperwork for my contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund imagines that I am possessed of at least a scintilla of decency.
Please dont take this the wrong way Observer but the way you say you use the occasion to make your other contribution implies you may feel a little shamed by having to do this?
#44
2,504 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Daveywavey70
Please don’t take this the wrong way Observer but the way you say you use the occasion to make your other contribution implies you may feel a little shamed by having to do this?
No offense taken. I take no joy in opting out of the Silversea charity, just as I take no joy in rejecting the requests to buy The Big Issue or provide funds to people in apparent grave need begging on the street. But I feel no shame and am by now hardened to the necessity of politely and sympathetically saying "No. Sorry." on a nearly daily basis. Such is contemporary life (and it has probably been thus forever). I focus my charitable giving on a single organization that I believe is addressing social/human problems in an effective and cost-effective way.

I think I will cease contributing to this thread -- especially since a subject-specific thread has been established on this matter.
#45
2 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by Observer
I think the fees are designed to control demand in the "speciality restaurants." They are simply not large enough to accommodate everyone on a seven or perhaps even ten night cruise. There are of course several "alternative restaurants" (depending on the ship) to which there is unlimited access without charge. Silversea is not unique in charging for speciality dining. Crystal, for example, assesses a charge for the Vintage Room restaurant.
Crystal provides a limited number of free speciality dining, depending on the number of cruise nights, and your status in the Crystal Society. For full World Cruises, there is unlimited usage of the speciality restaurants, depending on availability. Once you exceed the number of allowable usages in their speciality restaurants, there is a $30 charge.
#46
41 Posts
Joined May 2008
Sorry that some people didn't enjoy the pizza place. We were lucky I guess but were happy each time. We spent time speaking with the hard working server and she was super nice to us. We ordered it extra sauce and well done. It came that way. The server asked if it was perfect or if we needed her to do something else. She couldn't have been nicer. It did take awhile though. Not a quick serve place I guess.

As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.

As for the charity - and I know nobody asked - but I feel I have been fortunate in life, and while I do give to my own selected charities at home - I take no offense to SilverSea's leadership promoting their charity and doing their best to support it. Face it, if you are on SivlerSea - you likely can afford the few dollars here and there for those less fortunate. (Sorry not on a soapbox and certainly respect others' opinions and right to opt out ... I choose to opt in ...)
#47
New York
2,269 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by flydc
Sorry that some people didn't enjoy the pizza place. We were lucky I guess but were happy each time. We spent time speaking with the hard working server and she was super nice to us. We ordered it extra sauce and well done. It came that way. The server asked if it was perfect or if we needed her to do something else. She couldn't have been nicer. It did take awhile though. Not a quick serve place I guess.

As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.

As for the charity - and I know nobody asked - but I feel I have been fortunate in life, and while I do give to my own selected charities at home - I take no offense to SilverSea's leadership promoting their charity and doing their best to support it. Face it, if you are on SivlerSea - you likely can afford the few dollars here and there for those less fortunate. (Sorry not on a soapbox and certainly respect others' opinions and right to opt out ... I choose to opt in ...)
I like the way you think! I found it interesting that the two newest reviews of the Spirit couldn't have been more different. One absolutely gushed the good news and the other one couldn't have been worse...they just didn't like anything!
We've been fortunate to meet many wonderful crew members over time, on SS and the other lines we frequent. We always ask them if there is something special that they might want or need from shore. We've gotten them many odd things from phone cards to socks! The best request was from one of our room stewardesses who thought a moment and then asked for a good looking young man! giggle! They work very hard and are so appreciative of little things.
The charity doesn't bother us either.....to each his own.
#48
317 Posts
Joined May 2011
As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.
Ahhh, memories. Tarik was our butler on our last Spirit cruise and he was wonderful.
#49
90 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by flydc
Sorry that some people didn't enjoy the pizza place. We were lucky I guess but were happy each time. We spent time speaking with the hard working server and she was super nice to us. We ordered it extra sauce and well done. It came that way. The server asked if it was perfect or if we needed her to do something else. She couldn't have been nicer. It did take awhile though. Not a quick serve place I guess.



As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.



As for the charity - and I know nobody asked - but I feel I have been fortunate in life, and while I do give to my own selected charities at home - I take no offense to SilverSea's leadership promoting their charity and doing their best to support it. Face it, if you are on SivlerSea - you likely can afford the few dollars here and there for those less fortunate. (Sorry not on a soapbox and certainly respect others' opinions and right to opt out ... I choose to opt in ...)


Thanks for your thoughts. We leave in 4 days for Spirit cruise. I was hoping to see a list of the complimentary wines prior to our boarding. I will ask when we board. Will report back on our cruise when we get home.

Happy Sailing
Neilio


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#51
Naples, Florida
45 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by Mudhen
I like the way you think! I found it interesting that the two newest reviews of the Spirit couldn't have been more different. One absolutely gushed the good news and the other one couldn't have been worse...they just didn't like anything!
We've been fortunate to meet many wonderful crew members over time, on SS and the other lines we frequent. We always ask them if there is something special that they might want or need from shore. We've gotten them many odd things from phone cards to socks! The best request was from one of our room stewardesses who thought a moment and then asked for a good looking young man! giggle! They work very hard and are so appreciative of little things.
The charity doesn't bother us either.....to each his own.

Mudhen: Thank you for the great idea of bringing items back from shore for the Butler and Steward. We are leaving on the 10th from London for the repositioning cruise on the Spirit. We are always looking for ways to show our appreciation for the Butler and Steward. That is such a good idea. As you, we have met many wonderful crew members and have had nothing but great service and attitude from our Butlers and room Stewards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silversea Silver Spirit London to New York City September 2018
Silversea Silver Muse Lisbon to Southampton August 2017
Silversea Silver Shadow Vancouver to Tokyo September 2016
Celebrity Silhouette Christmas 2014
Silversea Silver Shadow Baltics September 2012
Silversea Silver Shadow Caribbean February 2006
Silversea Silver Shadow Mediterranean April 2003



[
#53
41 Posts
Joined May 2008
Neilio

Frank from the Netherlands is the head Sommelier. He will get you whatever you want! Great, friendly (really tall) guy!

J
#54
90 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by flydc
Neilio

Frank from the Netherlands is the head Sommelier. He will get you whatever you want! Great, friendly (really tall) guy!

J
Thanks so much for this info. I really appreciate it. We're not picky, It's just we have our restaurants for the week lined up and if I see the pours that are available we don't have to waste anyone's time.

Happy Sailing
Neilio
#55
UK
914 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
A nice LIVE WEBCAM view of the Spirit today in Gerainger Fjord, Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLWGxwPZS4
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2004 - Sun Boat III (The Nile)
2005 - Andrea (The Baltic)
2006 - Pandaw (Burma/The Irrawaddy)
2007 - Island Sky (Seychelles-Mozambique-Zanzibar)
2009 - Orion (NZ-Norfolk Is-New Cal-Vanuatu-Solomons-PNG)
2009 - Clipper Odyssey (Tahiti-Pitcairn-Easter Island)
2010 - Clipper Odyssey
(Tahiti-Cook Is-Niue-Samoa-American Samoa-Wallis&Futuna-Fiji)
2010 - Clipper Odyssey (Bali-Celebes-Brunei-Sabah-Sarawak)
2011 - Pandaw (Cambodia-Vietnam-The Mekong)
2011 - Island Sky (Cape Verde-Ascension-St Helena-Tristan da Cunha-Falklands)
2013 - Saga Sapphire (Madeira-Canaries-Caribbean-Azores)
2013 - Corinthian II (The Med)
2013 - Caledonian Sky
(NZ-New Cal-Vanuatu-Solomons-PNG-West Papua-Malaku-Bali)
2014 - Seabourn Legend (Caribbean)
2014 - Royal Crown (The Danube)
2015 - Silver Cloud
(Ghana-Togo-Benin-Sao Tome-Angola-Namibia-SouthAfrica)
2016 - Seabourn Quest (Caribbean)
2016 - Serenissima (Caribbean)
2017 - RSS Navigator (Canada-St Pierre&Miquelon-Greenland-Iceland)
2017 - Seabourn Quest (Antarctica & South Georgia)
2018 - Seabourn Ovation (Norway)
2019 - Silver Galapagos (Galapagos Islands)












#57
90 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Beautiful Posting. We board in Copenhagen on Friday. We leave Dulles later today. Cant wait. Hopefully my wife is done packing.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#58
547 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Hi Neilio, I hope you and your wife are snug in Copenhagen (and with all your luggage!) and looking forward to boarding tomorrow. If you are so inclined, it would be GREAT if you would start a new thread of LIVE from the Spirit: Copenhagen to Stockholm (or to London if you are continuing on). There are a few of us following this thread who will be embarking in London and your posts would be most welcome as we anticipate our cruise. But whatever you do, please have a wonderful cruise!
#59
Australia
11 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by seaquay
We were on the same cruise and it was interesting to see the changes to the Spirit as she was the first SS ship we sailed on. Still cannot beleive the weather on this itinerary (which we loved) and also the lack of mosquitos having packed everything we coluld to avoid getting bitten by them (we have Swedish and Finnish friends who had warned us about them). Hopefully the places we visited have had some rain now, they certainly needed it.

With regards to your review, La Dame is actually not a new speciality restaurant, it is a renamed La Champagne and from what we could see the menu has stayed pretty much the same since we started saiing with SS in May 2012. We no longer eat here as have had some bad meals (lamb that couldnt be cut and the lobster in a pea soup in May on the Muse which had replaces the lobster thermadore I think).

The menu on the grill, both and lunch and dinner, has been expanded from previous sailings and now reflects that of the Muse, more choices and at lunch along with a daily fish special there is also a spit roast special. There evening menu has been expanded to mirror that of the Muse and also now inludes a Butchers Special which offers items not elsewhere on the menu.

It was also nice to see to have a some buffet lunches offerings on this cruise on the pool deck.

Seishin on the spirit is not the same as Kaseiki on the Muse. Seishin does not offer the teppanyaki in the evening that Kaseiki offers in the evening (they couldnt retro fit the extractors apparently). The lunch and dinner menus are different offerings and having eaten in both in the last 4 months we personally feel they were worth the additional cost.

You also forgot to mention the Arts Cafe, where the range of lighter alternatives has been expanded over that on the Muse. Great to get a healthy start to the day with a yogurt and granola pot (at least you can start off the day feeling that you are eating well before it all going downhill).

In our opinion Breakfast/Lunch at La Terrazza has taken a turn for the worse and is a shambles. The area where items are servied seems to be smaller and gone were the central serving areas where fruits, meats etc used to be and now everybody lines up to get to get items from the serving positions. The queue was always snaking into the resteraunt and after the first day having breakfast there we quickly learnt to order items from our waiter
(omelettes, toast etc.). In the evening as it is table service it is back to its normal high standard.

Agree with the offering in Spaccanapoli, lovely pizza but no sides at all offered. Pizza can be ordered if you are on the pool grill so is another option for lunch there.

And finally the ice cream station located next to Spaccanapoli on deck 10 is well worth a visit if you like ice cream or sorbets.

We have mixed feelings on the refurbishment, the new lighter wood down the hallways reminded us of the stick on false bricks that used to be put on houes here in the UK and although making the corridors lighter as soon as you went to the forward elevators you were back to the dark wood again. We also thought the 'beach' area (SS terminology not ours) where they have expanded the pool section but not the pool iteself would be great if you had a toddler who wanted to spalsh about in water but couldnt see the attraction for the normal demographic SS attracts.

We are booked on the Whisper for her first cruise after her dry dock it will be interesting to see if they has Musified her as well. Fingers crossed it all goes well with the dry dock and we have a trouble free sailing.

Hi
Do they have a formal breakfast option at all? When we did the Muse last year we didn't have many sea days and to be honest I don't recall doing breakfast much, apart from not enjoying the La Terrazza option at all. We've also been on Shadow and Whisper and we love the breakfast in the main restaurant on a sea day (and any other day we can do it before we head out on tour too!) we join Spirit in London soon and will have a lot of sea days so were hoping there would be a formal breakfast somewhere since the refit. Is there??? Thanks Hilary
#60
Australia
11 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Mudhen
See you on board. We're on the same cruise! It's going to be a great one!
Do you know who the main people are? Tour Director? Cruise Director etc. If you've time would be interested in a quick call out of senior crew? So looking forwards to this cruise! Thank you