Saga cruises?

RMS Olympic

looking at booking the new ship, Saga Discovery. Never sailed on a British ship (Cunard doesn't count in my mind). Now that Saga is looking for North American bookings, I'm going for it.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Saga cruise product in general?

The cruise I am going for is a 7 night to the fjords in September of 2019...can't stand the Caribbean over and over again.

By the way the new ship looks stunning yet traditional.....could be fun!🤓

Saga cater exclusively to the over 50's, and most pax will be a lot older than that. It is fully inclusive as far as food, gratuities, wine at lunch and dinner, shuttle buses, internet. I also understand that if you live in the UK there is a free chauffeur service to take you from home to the port.

Although I have just hit the age limit they do not appeal to me yet. I do know people who have cruised with them and enjoyed it.

Hi SwissDave, thanks for responding. I am interested in this new ship....makes me think of a new modern version of the Sagafjord or Vistafjord. The other passengers are not of concern unless they are rude or stuffy. Some comments I have read make it sound like its a nursing home gone to sea....beyond old, beyond ancient.

But I have to think the demographics will be changing, maybe to the 50 to 65 age bracket. Up till now Saga has used old ships nicely refitted. Now they are investing big bucks in three new ships so they must be planning on a bright future. You don't invest like this to cater to 80 and 90 year olds who won't be around more than a decade. In addition, Saga is going after the North American market.....I can't see marketing extremely elderly people who won't fly.

Finally, by adding three new ships, they maybe able to offer embarkation points outside of the UK allowing for shorter cruises and thus attracting non retirees in their 50's.

Today I got my cabin assignment...fantastic. If the other people on board are really old...ill have the gym, the bars and crew all to myself......

And I'm the first booking through the company just hired by Saga here in the USA.....yippee!