Freedom Docking in Cozumel Downtown

czechcruzr

For the last few weeks the Carnival Freedom has been docking downtown in Cozumel (punta Langosta) instead of Puerta May the Carnival owned dock. Anybody know why or if it will continue? Porting there Monday and trying to make a decision on restaurants within walking distance.

For the last few weeks the Carnival Freedom has been docking downtown in Cozumel (punta Langosta) instead of Puerta May the Carnival owned dock. Anybody know why or if it will continue? Porting there Monday and trying to make a decision on restaurants within walking distance.

We were on the Carnival Freedom back in February and we also docked in downtown. No idea why, they did announce over the ships PA just before we docked that we were not docking at the usual port. I actually liked it better than the normal dock. I felt we didn't have to walk as far down the pier and I like the shops a lot more. Maybe is was the newness/differentness after all I've been to the over dock 4-5 times now.

If you do end up docking at Punta Longosta, consider yourself lucky... It's walking distance from most of the great dining and shopping options in San Miguel.

I would agree, would much rather dock in Punta Longosta due to the proximity to downtown. As to the OP's question as to "why?", I can only guess that it's a port capacity issue in Puerta Maya although I know Carnival has two docks which, theoretically, can accommodate four ships.

I prefer to dock there but I've only been lucky enough to do it twice. We were ported until 10pm once and it was fantastic being right downtown for such a late port visit!

I almost forgot about that. We also have a late departure, it wasn't 10pm, but it was well past sunset. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I will say I loved see all the island lights after dark.