Dawn Overnight in Quebec

bocasolas

My DW and I are looking forward to our Dawn cruise out of Quebec City on September 16, and trying to figure out how best to plan the first two days of the trip--in Quebec (we embark on Friday but don't leave port until Saturday evening).

We were originally hoping to board early on Friday (we have a scheduled arrival time of 10:30am), drop off our stuff and then get back out asap to explore the city, leaving Saturday for Montmorency Falls, Ste Anne's, etc. But now I am not sure how easy it is to get on and off the ship on Friday (assuming everyone else is trying to get documented and board), or when/if we need to be back on the ship Friday night for attendance, muster, etc.

Would appreciate any insight or advice from anyone who may have taken this particular itinerary before or has experience with similar overnight stays to start a trip. Can we get off the ship after going through boarding, or is it better to just plan to board late on Friday? If so, would we be able to drop our luggage off with the porters early and then go sightseeing before boarding? Are we required to be back on the ship Friday night? (Always thought muster was on the first day, but we won't actually be at sea.)

We had this b2b booked for next year and did a little research on it. Nothing I ever read from previous cruisers suggested there was a Muster Drill on Friday. After checked in and boarded, you should be free to come and go at will after embarkation up until your final deadline for embarkation the following afternoon, and then the Muster would be shortly before leaving port on Saturday.

I would ask on the Canada/New England board how early the porters start collecting luggage at the pier in Quebec. But you can't board until all the previous passengers have cleared the ship, so why waste time at the port. If luggage drop off is available early enough for you, drop it if you want and then head out, at least until boarding commences, or if you want, much later. You could even check out of your hotel and leave your luggage with the front desk, they usually have an area to hold it, and then return for it later in the day before heading for the ship for check in.

Edited by punkincc

Did your cruise last year. No muster drill untel the ship leaves the port. Getting on and off is no problem either. Enjoy qubec!!

We did it last year too and found no trouble getting on and off. If I remember rightly there was a separate way on the Saturday to keep away from those just embarking.

Sunday we did the NCL shorex if that is the one you are looking at and really enjoyed it.

Mike

Great to hear.

Was thinking of leaving luggage at the hotel, we are not far away from the port. That is a good idea. Could also leave big luggage with the porters, but I imagine we will still have backpacks, so more inclined to board first. Good to know that they apparently have a separate entrance/gangway for people that have already been boarded.

Thanks for the feedback. One less "detail" to worry about.

Looking at what I wrote in my letter to the family, I went off the boat on the first day in Quebec to check emails while my wife unpacked. There was a way off and on that could only be used by those who had embarked and had room cards. I didn't go far from the boat so don't know if there was a way out of the dock, I seem to think so. I think there was a gate out of the dock where you had to show your room card on your return and then you went through the normal process actually at the ship.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there is a certain time you have to check in on board on that Friday? even though ship doesn't leave until Saturday afternoon.

Is there a certain time or can it be anytime after 4:00 p.m.?

I do remember that muster drill was on Saturday, and we could come and go as we pleased once we boarded. I forgot something in the cabin and had to go back for it, no problem. We stayed a few days pre-cruise in Montreal and had a rental car, so we were able to visit Montmorency Falls, a highlight of our trip. Nearby is St. Anne’s which was wonderful. We accidentally stumbled on another beautiful waterfall, Chuted de la Chauderie. There are quite a few, and next time we go we may just do a waterfall trip, they are all quite different, but Montmorency is breathtaking, don’t miss it. Here is a blog with lots of cool waterfalls: https://www.mtlblog.com/things-to-do-in-mtl/8-breathtaking-quebec-waterfall-you-should-roadtrip-to-this-summer

Posted in GEM muster drill - same applies to the DAWN at Quebec City

Did this B2B sequence two years ago - probably not much changed.

xxxxx

From what I understand registration-check in goes on pretty much till midnight.

Your portered luggage service stops around 6pm and you have to do a walk-on with it or wait till the

next day.

Best way is to check-in as soon as possible have your luggage portered on the ship and delivered to

your stateroom. Once you have registered and received your cabin key cards - you do not need to board

at the time - come back and board at anytime.

As with any procedure check with NCL for any changes in this and read on from CC posters for any other

developments.

Basically the ship is your hotel for the overnight stay - once checked in you can come and go like any other hotel.

Best to board at least by early evening to make sure your luggage was properly delivered to your cabin -

then you can hang and sort your casual cruise wear.

With a ship like the DAWN* * The GEM being of similar size and capacity would be the same scenario.

The check-in runs pretty smoothly since the volume of folks checking in is spread out over almost a 24 hour period.