Check in Barcelona

Hi All, can someone answer a boarding question. What time does check in open in Barcelona, not boarding, just check in and luggage drop off? We plan to go to Monserrat on embarkation day. We are in a PH so our boarding time is 11:00. I would like to check out of the hotel early, check in at the port, drop our bags and head out to Monserrat. This way we avoid having to have the bags held at the hotel and having to pick them up later. I would like to be off to Monserrat early but I’m not sure what time we can check in and drop off bags. Thx!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you on a tour to Montserrat? I know that they will usually take your bags with you and then drop you and your bags at the cruise terminal after the tour. I don't think I would risk dropping off bags early -- they might never get loaded when its time or get mixed up with those belonging to departing passengers. People pick up the wrong bags all the time. I wouldn't chance it. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All, can someone answer a boarding question. What time does check in open in Barcelona, not boarding, just check in and luggage drop off? We plan to go to Monserrat on embarkation day. We are in a PH so our boarding time is 11:00. I would like to check out of the hotel early, check in at the port, drop our bags and head out to Monserrat. This way we avoid having to have the bags held at the hotel and having to pick them up later. I would like to be off to Monserrat early but I’m not sure what time we can check in and drop off bags. Thx!!!

If your check in time is 11AM, then the passengers for the cruise before yours will be almost entirely off by 9, and the Porters for your cruise will start work at 10AM.

The Porters for the previous voyage won't refuse you (and may in fact be the same people ;) ) but I would wait until 10 just to ensure that there are as few variables as possible.

No, we are just heading up there on the train/gondola. We plan to see the monestary and do some hiking.

Having done the train up and back on a port day I think you're trying to pack too much stuff into one day. Either come in a day earlier, or go with one of the companies that will keep your luggage in the van while at Monserrat.

Having done the train up and back on a port day I think you're trying to pack too much stuff into one day. Either come in a day earlier, or go with one of the companies that will keep your luggage in the van while at Monserrat.

Sounds like the best and safest idea. Have a great trip and good luck. :):):)

Thanks everyone, especially Jim and Stan, I’ll wait till 10:00. I don’t post much but I read your very helpful and informative posts all the time. You are a wealth of knowledge. We sail at 7:00 so all aboard will be 6:30.

I decided to head to Monserrat the day prior to the cruise. I originally planned to fly in from Rome Monday morning but changed to Sunday night so we can head up to Monserrat early Monday morning. I’m staying at a hotel on Place de Espanya so we can walk across the street to the Monserrat train. We really prefer to travel there on our own so we can spend the day relaxing and hiking.

My husband has never seen the inside of Sagrada Familia so we’ll do that on Tues precruise along with the gothic quarter. I still want to drop the bags Tuesday morning at 10:00 before we head out for the day as our hotel will not be anywhere near the gothic quarter. Hopefully, that will work out. I gives us 7-8 hours in the city.

I almost always check in early and head out for the day as opposed to losing a day exploring by having to go to the port to check in in the middle of the day. FYI, when you do this and you miss the muster drill, they find you and you have to stay after school and do your own drill!!

Thanks everyone, especially Jim and Stan, I’ll wait till 10:00. I don’t post much but I read your very helpful and informative posts all the time. You are a wealth of knowledge. We sail at 7:00 so all aboard will be 6:30.

If the ship sails at 7pm I would check the all aboard time

It is usually 1-2 hrs prior on embarkation day

You would not want to be turned away at the port

Just saying

I decided to head to Monserrat the day prior to the cruise. I originally planned to fly in from Rome Monday morning but changed to Sunday night so we can head up to Monserrat early Monday morning. I’m staying at a hotel on Place de Espanya so we can walk across the street to the Monserrat train. We really prefer to travel there on our own so we can spend the day relaxing and hiking.

My husband has never seen the inside of Sagrada Familia so we’ll do that on Tues precruise along with the gothic quarter. I still want to drop the bags Tuesday morning at 10:00 before we head out for the day as our hotel will not be anywhere near the gothic quarter. Hopefully, that will work out. I gives us 7-8 hours in the city.

I almost always check in early and head out for the day as opposed to losing a day exploring by having to go to the port to check in in the middle of the day. FYI, when you do this and you miss the muster drill, they find you and you have to stay after school and do your own drill!!

Sounds like a better plan. Have you used the trains around Barcelona? Have you been to Montserrat before?

After the first time we went on a tour we decided to go back on our own to have more time doing the things there that we wanted to do. I think you are making the best decision going on your own. We loved it both times.

Thanks so much, that is good to hear, we have never been to Monserrat. Been to Barcelona numerous times and we have travelled extensively both business and leisure so we are pretty good at maneuvering public transit. We usually hire guides when we are visiting new areas but after a few times, once you get the lay of the land it’s more fun to have the freedom to be impulsive, sometimes it takes three or four gelato stops before I decide I’ve seen everything. :). Usually, if I decide I want a guide when I didn’t book one, there several very knowledgeable licensed guides at the sites, I’m sure the Monastery will be the same.

Did you do any hiking? It looks like some of the hikes are fantastic but there is not enough time to do them all. If you did, which would you recommend. Even though we are geezers, we both work out every day and hike often so difficulty is not an issue.

Any info is appreciated!! Thanks

Thanks so much, that is good to hear, we have never been to Monserrat. Been to Barcelona numerous times and we have travelled extensively both business and leisure so we are pretty good at maneuvering public transit. We usually hire guides when we are visiting new areas but after a few times, once you get the lay of the land it’s more fun to have the freedom to be impulsive, sometimes it takes three or four gelato stops before I decide I’ve seen everything. :). Usually, if I decide I want a guide when I didn’t book one, there several very knowledgeable licensed guides at the sites, I’m sure the Monastery will be the same.

Did you do any hiking? It looks like some of the hikes are fantastic but there is not enough time to do them all. If you did, which would you recommend. Even though we are geezers, we both work out every day and hike often so difficulty is not an issue.

Any info is appreciated!! Thanks

We did not really do any hiking, but we did take the rail car up to the top of the mountain, and walked around up there. It is seasonal so if you go early or late in the year it doesn't run. I liked it for the views more than the church, although both are worthwhile. I'm sure this would vary depending on your religious point of view.

Enjoy your time there. Barcelona has so many neat things to do and see. We've done Runner Bean free walking tours a couple of times. You just tip them at the end. Very worthwhile.

We used this company. Picked up at hotel, drop off at the ship. Much safer than depending on train and gondola and back, then you have to take a taxi to the ship.

https://barcelonadaytours.com/montserrat-tour/

Thank you for posting the idea of taking a tour of Montserrat with Barcelona Day Tours. I was trying to figure out if we could go to Montserrat before boarding in Barcelona. It makes it easy to have them pick you up at the hotel and drop-off at the port. We have just booked a private tour with them for our Sept 6th cruise. Thanks!!

The more ports the better....

You will find Barcelona very easy to do on your own. The public transport is excellent, both the metro (easy access with lifts to street level) and the buses. All information re routes and timetables is on the internet. With the odd taxi as well, you will find you can see quite a lot in your day. If you want to visit the inside of Sagrada Familia or Parc Guell, you need to pre-book an admission time on line. If you visit SF first and book a slot for Parc Guell about three hours later, you should be OK. I recollect the 116 bus stops right outside Parc Guell. Have a lovely time in this great city.