How many ports have you missed?

Zandarr

We have over 300 nights on O, missing 2 ports in the Med on our 2010 cruise (our second), then had no missed ports for awhile, but lately there have been quite a few, mostly weather related, and I think all on the R ships. Last cruise from Dubai to Cape Town there were many medical emergencies with maybe a half dozen passengers having to debark prior to their final destination. Things happen, accidents, illness. It's life. I feel sorry for those who are affected, whose cruise gets disrupted, whose lives are in turmoil because of whatever happened. As for me, I will continue t sail the itineraries I choose, and if a port is missed, I can handle it without a lot of angst.

+1 and Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmm...guess older people shouldn't be allowed to drive. They might have a heart attack, stroke, or other malady, get into an accident, possibly hit me and at the very least cause a traffic delay and ruin my day by not reaching my destination on time!

Hmmm...guess older people shouldn't be allowed to drive. They might have a heart attack, stroke, or other malady, get into an accident, possibly hit me and at the very least cause a traffic delay and ruin my day by not reaching my destination on time!

Actually yes, many of us have had to deal with elderly relatives that are no longer safe behind the wheel. It's a difficult situation to take away the keys from a parent.

On the other hand many elderly are still excellent drivers.

3 Oceania cruises and 4 cancelled/amended Ports. Upcoming Jan 2019 B2B cruise already received notification of change of Port! Previously sailed with Azamara/Celebrity/RCL/HAL/P&O and never one change/cancellation! Always cruise in Jan/Feb in the Caribbean apart from 1 Med, 2 Alaska cruises.

Just off Riviera (15 day B2B) and we didn't miss any. For us, that's been the rule. Occasionally we missed a port because of weather. That's always a risk, even if you are driving yourself around a country.

Mura

Out of six Oceania cruises I have missed ports on five. Out of approx. 35 cruises on other cruise lines I can only recall two times where itinerary was changed in any way after embarkation. Although there was a reasonable excuse for each Oceania missed port,this pattern has to be more than just a coincidence. The positive spin could be that perhaps a stronger culture of safety exists at Oceania. Bottom line is that if I really want to lessen my chances of missing a port, I would avoid choosing an Oceania cruise.

We have missed one port on every one of our 5 Oceania cruises. Usually, it was attributed to weather conditions, although we missed St Malo when the pilot struck a buoy in Bordeaux....On 5 Windstar cruises, we have missed ports on 2 of 5...

I have to admit I sort of expect to miss a port on every O cruise now...and it will usually be the port that I most wanted to visit. Maybe it's just bad vibes or something...:rolleyes:

It's not my intention to be a cheerleader for O, but I have to say this ...

We've had 17 cruises on Oceania. VERY few have had missed ports. We're just off Riviera after 15 days (Monaco to "Rome" to Venice) and we didn't miss one port. Yes, occasionally we've missed a port on other cruises but for US it has been very occasional and I don't think we've ever missed more than one port on a cruise. For the record we're usually on board for at least 14 days for what that is worth.

When we were returning from one tender port on this last cruise (St. Tropez? I forget) it was smooth going over but coming back was not so smooth. It was VERY difficult tying up to the ship.

I have seen lots of posts over the years from people complaining that O misses more ports than most lines but that has not been our experience. I really can count on one hand the number of missed ports in those 17 cruises.

Were we lucky? Or were the others unlucky?

I dunno.

Mura

LHT28

We are brand new to Oceania. My husband has just booked a cruise departing in New York for my 60th birthday in July.We usually go with Azamara so are familiar with the small ship.

Posting just to say sorry you missed Holyhead. We live 90 mins from there and North Wales is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Let me know if you are ever book another cruise which stops there as there is so much to see. Insider knowledge would make Holyhead an unforgettable experience.

LHT28

We are brand new to Oceania. My husband has just booked a cruise departing in New York for my 60th birthday in July.We usually go with Azamara so are familiar with the small ship.

Posting just to say sorry you missed Holyhead. We live 90 mins from there and North Wales is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Let me know if you are ever book another cruise which stops there as there is so much to see. Insider knowledge would make Holyhead an unforgettable experience.

Thanks

Maybe it is better to do a land trip there :halo:

we do not seem to have much luck with cruises that go there ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Seven out of how many nights or ports of call? Just curious. Oceania does offer some longer cruises!

Hi Tansy, Just getting back to this thread. Thinking of the number of nights the cruises where: If I remember correctly, we missed one on three 14-night cruises, one on an 18 nighter, one on a 21 nighter and two on a 35 night cruise.

Three were weather related, Cairo was for safety, the others were "supposedly" timing issues (seas were too rough to get from point A to point B, tides not right) Not sure about that, but there was a small uprising among the passengers and a meeting was called by the GM. This was on the 35-day cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received an itinerary change (Oceania calls it an "update") to French Polynesia area. Cancelling Robinson Crusoe Island (Chilean), so 5 days at sea, and eventually an overnight in Bora Bora. Means Hanga Roa dates are extended, too. Lot of rescheduling. Wonder whether R.C. Island got mediocre reviews for visiting.

We've missed just one port that I remember -- Cook Islands on the then Tahitian Princess. It was the exact day for our 40th anniversary. We had along five other couples, long time friends celebrating 35 or more years of marriage. I had arranged with the Bishop of the Cook Islands to have a blessing at Mass for all of us. I thought it would be so great for my friends to experience this and the beautiful music in St. Joseph's Church (we had been married in St. Joe's in NYC). Well, it didn't look rough at all, but the Captain called it was too rough to tender. We could see the church -- talk about disappointment!!

On a west to east TA on Oceania we missed Anse Aux Meadows, Newfoundland (due to icebergs --apparently this happened the year before too) and Falmouth, England on the other side of the pond -- too rough to tender.

I had no quarrel with either of these cancellations although they really should have known better than to even schedule Anse Aux Meadows at that time of year (mid-May). I noticed it was missing from the itinerary the following year.