Rocky Mountaineer add on

cstrick

I have a friend on it right now They seem to be enjoying it. Personally if I wanted to see the Rockies, I'd drive it. The Mountaineer gets good reviews but is very pricey.

Having recently done it after an Alaska cruise, I agree.

The most scenic part is from Jasper to Lake Louise (or v.v.) and that can be easily done by car. In fact, that segment is on a bus anyway.

JMO.

Having recently done it after an Alaska cruise, I agree.

The most scenic part is from Jasper to Lake Louise (or v.v.) and that can be easily done by car. In fact, that segment is on a bus anyway.

JMO.

Yes, love the drive through Banff National Park. It's beautiful

I have a friend that did it and loved it!

Is it offered by Oceania as an add on? I thought he had reservations somewhere around 2 years in advance. Have you checked to see if berths are still available for early next summer at the time you want to go?

I have a friend that did it and loved it!

Just goes to show you - to each their own :)

My main objections - beyond the exorbitant cost:

1 While seats recline a bit and can be heated, they have the width (and thus the comfort) of an economy seat on most airlines (if you weight over 100 lbs)

Add to this the fact that there is no space for any small carry-on (for meds and valuables) or even a coat other than at you feet. That said, there is plenty of legroom.

2 While the meals are good, I couldn’t wait to get out of the dining area as there is no “elbow” room at the tables to use both a knife & fork for most people.

3 Most train days are very long - early rise and long rides. Our longest ride was 14 hours with views worth of maybe 30 - 60 minutes max. That’s not counting getting up at 5 or 6 AM just to start a train ride at 9 AM. In 14 hours I can fly from SFO to SYD :D

4 By far the most scenic segment was from Jasper to Lake Louise which was on a bus.

It’s not all bad by any means but not worth the cost, IMO.

As always, YMMV :)

PS We got our reservations about 8 months in advance and there were some empty seats in our car.

Bottom line for me - in hindsight and knowing what I know now, I would have done this trip by car at my own pace for much less money, better itinerary (eliminating some portions) and more choices overall.

Edited by Paulchili

We are booked on the May 29, 2019 Alaska cruise and are considering the Rocky Mountaineer add on. Has anyone done this and is it worth it ?

Wife and I did it 4 yrs ago with friends and it was fabulous. If you have time, add lake louise. Have fun.

VIA rail does not go to Calgary. It heads north from Kamloops to Jasper. Still a veryscenic route but not the classic journey through the spiral tunnels and Banff National Park.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

We did the Rocky Mountaineer from Lake Louise to Vancouver in 2016 during a road trip across the US and Canada. It was lovely and we saw some beautiful scenery, the food was wonderful and the narration by the guides informative. Overnight accommodations were so, so but you’re not in the room very long. I’m not sure we would have enjoyed the train as much at the end of a cruise since much of the time you are eating. If I were booking this as an add-on, I’d try to book it pre-cruise. Two days on the train was enough! You’re sitting almost all day.

My brother and SIL drove the car instead of taking the train. They enjoyed the drive and scenery. Hope this helps.

We are booked on the May 29, 2019 Alaska cruise and are considering the Rocky Mountaineer add on. Has anyone done this and is it worth it ?

Rocky Mountaineer is a fantastic journey. Didn’t book post cruise through cruise line. Booked directly. I would encourage you to take the opportunity to enjoy the scenery.