Possibility of Joy inaugural short in EU?

RubyGold

As the title says!

I had the luxury last year of going on the Escape from Hamburg for three nights of the inaugural voyage. The roll call was explosive with great information and really awesome people, I didn't manage to meet enough of you.

What do you lot think the chances are to do that for the Joy? I know it will go to China. But it's in Meyer werft and has to go there.

I've been looking and waiting for more information but it's due out next March with very little into so far it seems. Have I missed something??

Thanks in advance!

I'd expected to have heard something by now though.

That's what I thought.

It will be so different from all the other NCL Ships, It just wouldn't be fair to not let us have a gander before she sets off to the orient.

• 2 weeks later...
As the title says!

I had the luxury last year of going on the Escape from Hamburg for three nights of the inaugural voyage. The roll call was explosive with great information and really awesome people, I didn't manage to meet enough of you.

What do you lot think the chances are to do that for the Joy? I know it will go to China. But it's in Meyer werft and has to go there.

I've been looking and waiting for more information but it's due out next March with very little into so far it seems. Have I missed something??

Thanks in advance!

I can certainly agree that the 3 nighter on the Escape was a blast even the Pre cruise meet in the Hotel was great as well. I for one do hope there is a repeat on the Joy and will certainly be looking at booking it when its released.

My personal cruise consultant is suppose to contact me when they release it :)

I am interested in Middle East, India, and Asia leg of the trip. I almost booked on the RCCL Ovation of the Seas headed that way but my family of five couldn't fit in the cabins without a huge upcharge for that 3rd person in cabin #2. Weird, I know. I feel in love the itinerary and now I desperately want to visit those ports (Dubai, Cochern, Malaysia and Singapore) I am hoping that Joy will offer something close and have room for a family of 5!

steamboats, I can't find your source via Google. What are the dates for Rome and the other ports? Trying to sort out the days.. thanks :)

i read about this in a german board, maybe it will help you

http://www.kids-on-cruise.de/forum/board2-kids-on-cruise-mit/board11-ncl-alle-schiffe/board65-allgemeines-zu-den-schiffen-von-norwegian-cruise-line/7073-norwegian-cruise-line-verk%C3%BCndet-eintritt-in-chinesischen-kreuzfahrtmarkt-neubau-der-breakaway-plus-klasse-f%C3%BCr-china/index2.html

• 2 months later...

http://www.cruiserschoice.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-to-finish-joy-ship-in-2017-with-greater-features-at-sea-r1184/

Based on this article from cruisers choice, it seems like the ship wont even be completed before leaving Europe for China! It is cheaper in china than Germany, so it makes sense that the final detailing will be done there... Sad, as i think they'd have no problems filling the ship up in a few inaugural cruises in Europe. Many people, myself included, are very exited for the Joy.

Wait did i see it wrongly?

Norwegian Joy is a China purpose specific ship yet it will be in the Port Of Miami end 2017?

I don't forsee this coming..and they will put the Joy in Miami despite the features being mostly targeted for China. Unless they are doing short cruises aka a tryout in Miami first before the Bliss arrives?

Norwegian Joy is a China purpose specific ship yet it will be in the Port Of Miami end 2017?

I don't forsee this coming..and they will put the Joy in Miami despite the features being mostly targeted for China. Unless they are doing short cruises aka a tryout in Miami first before the Bliss arrives?

Does this mean the Joy will go thru the new Panama Canal if she sails from Asia eastwards?

Does this mean the Joy will go thru the new Panama Canal if she sails from Asia eastwards?

While the Joy would fit the new locks, with the Bridge of the Americas being 28' lower than the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, I don't think she would fit under the Bridge of the Americas, so until that bridge is replaced, she won't use the Canal. Air drafts (height of ship above water) are notoriously hard to document, but I know the Breakaway class are close to the limit for NYC.

I read that as a rumour, seems unlogical to pull her out after a year as indeed a purpose built ship..

Would be a risk to let the Chinese finish her, I assume it will be done by Meyer whilst underway?

Apple's iPhones & iPads, HP & Dells, Lenovo's (better known then under the IBM brands) are all build & assemblied in China - the world's fastest super computer today is no longer at MIT, Stanford but rather in China (well, except for those top classified ones ... you don't say) ;)

Besides, RCI and CCL are partnering with shipyard in China to built theirs over there ... just took delivery of the new ship recently, well ahead of NCLH. :D

Keep the costs down and lowered production costs - better financial returns, should be a big win-win, as long as they can manage labor relations and unrest. It has huge market potentials - if the cards are played right ... Shanghai Disney just opened this month as they recognized the opportunities long, long time ago & began drawing the blueprints.

Edited by mking8288

Apple's iPhones & iPads, HP & Dells, Lenovo's (better known then under the IBM brands) are all build & assemblied in China - the world's fastest super computer today is no longer at MIT, Stanford but rather in China (well, except for those top classified ones ... you don't say) ;)

Besides, RCI and CCL are partnering with shipyard in China to built theirs over there ... just took delivery of the new ship recently, well ahead of NCLH. :D

Keep the costs down and lowered production costs - better financial returns, should be a big win-win, as long as they can manage labor relations and unrest. It has huge market potentials - if the cards are played right ... Shanghai Disney just opened this month as they recognized the opportunities long, long time ago & began drawing the blueprints.

I hadn't heard that RCI was partnering with a Chinese yard, though I know about Carnival Corp's deal. What ship was delivered from a Chinese yard? One reason CCL is doing the deal to build in China is to flag the ships in China and therefore bypass China's version of the PVSA.

While China is one of the leading, if not the leading, shipbuilders in the world, I speak from experience that they have had and continue to have quality control issues, and I think the ability to do the finish work on projects as large as today's cruise ships will be a fairly long learning curve.

While the Joy would fit the new locks, with the Bridge of the Americas being 28' lower than the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, I don't think she would fit under the Bridge of the Americas, so until that bridge is replaced, she won't use the Canal. Air drafts (height of ship above water) are notoriously hard to document, but I know the Breakaway class are close to the limit for NYC.

Wow! I didn't realize that. Thanks for the titbit.

I spoke today with a customer service agent at NCL.com. She said that NCL.com is NOT going to be selling the Norwegian Joy. She also said she did NOT think the Joy would be selling cabins from Germany to China.:(:confused:

I spoke today with a customer service agent at NCL.com. She said that NCL.com is NOT going to be selling the Norwegian Joy. She also said she did NOT think the Joy would be selling cabins from Germany to China.:(:confused:

I'm sure they would be first to know. [emoji23]