NCL Joy in Asia July?

bp traveler

Hello - I have been looking for cruises in Asia for next summer and am not finding much of anything? Does anyone know why or when these would be available, haven't even found any reviews either!! Seems really weird, are they leaving this market? Thanks

So far, they have only been selling "left overs" to the US public. Most rooms are held for Chinese travel agents. And most are short cruises, so you would have to book a B2B2B at the premium prices they are charging to make a trip to china worth while.

And, I checked with my oversea sources - who referenced CTS HK, Ltd. that they are not offering it for sale and they rather partnered with Gentlings, hmmm ...

http://ww1.ctshk.com/zh/ch-cruise/

needed to dig deep by searching Chinese ads to find some of these sailings, nothing showing up at all on their English language website. (CTS was once, for decades, the quasi-official & sole travel agency in mainland China, back in the 70's and 1980's ... all bookings thru them with their state affiliations, before the market opened up for others to compete.)

Prices that I finally tracked down on another site showed prices for 5 - 6 nights short cruises out of Shanghai, almost doubled the competitive prices for Gentling's - sister ship originally intended/built for NCL, their travel partner does NOT appeared interested in offering it for sale to the overseas, non-mainland Chinese market, for whatever reasons.

https://cruises.wingontravel.com/search/list-cruise-12-Norwegian%20Cruise%20Line

(tip: Google Translate the pages)

I say, avoid it as the Joy isn't for the typical CC audience, seriously.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks for the replies, I guess we will skip a cruise over there, just thought the kids might like a break from the crowds!

Yulp, very few people on the pool deck and no chair hogs to worry about. This is a recent YT video review ... in Chinese but with English subtitle, pretty informative, by a seasoned cruiser from Hong Kong. Pretty good intro on what it's like - summarize toward the end, that unless you are from the Chinese mainland and comfortable with that crowd & their well-known behavior, best to avoid & not book this ship - guaranteed to be shocked & disappointed.

Gentling's Dream based & sailing out of HK is a better option, practically same design & similar layout, more civilized crowds & food ... and very good prices compared to Joy's almost all-inclusive bundled package.

I am catching the vibe that Asian cruises are too great for Americans?

The Gentling did look interesting as I watched the video recommended.

Any thoughts on RCL or Gentling or would it be just like everyone is suggesting?

thanks