New ship to be built ... Silver Dawn

les37b

Well that probably rules out a new build Expedition ship so when the Discoverer lease runs out it leaves another leased ship or conversion of the Wind.

Given the apparent success of Cloud, I would put my money on the conversion of the Wind. And you?

Given the apparent success of Cloud, I would put my money on the conversion of the Wind. And you?
I think you and the good doctor are correct that we hear of plans to convert the Wind sometime in the next 12-months. This would leave the Shadow/Whisper as the smallest ships in the classic fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you and the good doctor are correct that we hear of plans to convert the Wind sometime in the next 12-months. This would leave the Shadow/Whisper as the smallest ships in the classic fleet.

Hmmm. Should I be selecting a replacement cruise for the second year running while the Wind gets cloudyfied?

Funnily, whilst on the Cloud a week ago, this thought did cross my mind but dismissed such a crazy notion. I now find myself thinking it’s not just possible but probable.

I feel a campaign coming! “Hands of our Wind! lol.

In seriousness though, if I were to fall victim 12 months after the musifying of the Spirit in Silversea’s pursuit of $$$ and disregard to bookings taken and paid in full, it would likely be my last booking. There would be a distinct possibility if it happened anyway. The Wind and Cloud are my favourites. The Shadow last month was similar but just not the same and having 4 Muse size ships just doesn’t appeal despite the fact I did enjoy the Muse.

At dinner with the hotel director on the Cloud last night, he said that the conversion of the Wind to an expedition ship is more than a rumor.
Not surprised at all. I wonder what dates they are thinking on. Hope they plan this properly and don't inconvenience customers who have already booked and paid in full. They shouldn't look to do this until April 2020 when no cruises are currently planned.

I guess we will await the imminent announcement...... Just like we did for the Spirit....

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Sadly, I fear that's what will happen. I don't mind the Musification of the fleet but I have three bookings on the Wind next year because of dates/itineraries and, given the Spirit stretch experience, now I'm concerned. The one next June to the Norwegian fjords has been on my bucket list for many years, I'll be so upset if that goes.

When does the Discoverer lease run out?

Please help me understand: I see that the Wind is scheduled through April 2020, but are you saying that they might cancel some of those itineraries in order to Cloudify? Is that how they handled the Spirit stretch? Or was that planned out before the schedules were released? I must say it seems pretty shabby to release itineraries only to quickly turn around and cancel them. Why not simply hold back on releasing the Wind schedule?

I clearly have a lot to learn about the cruise industry, but that sort of bait and switch sounds like a faulty business decision.

Please help me understand: I see that the Wind is scheduled through April 2020, but are you saying that they might cancel some of those itineraries in order to Cloudify? Is that how they handled the Spirit stretch? Or was that planned out before the schedules were released? I must say it seems pretty shabby to release itineraries only to quickly turn around and cancel them. Why not simply hold back on releasing the Wind schedule?

I clearly have a lot to learn about the cruise industry, but that sort of bait and switch sounds like a faulty business decision.

We were booked and fully paid for a Spirit cruise and then 5 months later comes the decision to stretch it. Handled appallingly by SS Management. They seem to forever repeat mistakes, so expect it to happen sometime next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To see her go the way of the Cloud would be very sad

I'm confused. Unless you just don't like where the Cloud sails, what did they do to it that you don't like? I sailed the Cloud in 2010 and would love to sail the new and improved Cloud now.

Mr Silver,

After you were notified, what happened next? Did they offer you a full refund? Did you get any special compensation for the trouble the cancellation must have caused you? Hope you hadn’t booked Air independently. You know they 100% know when they will be going into dry dock. When did the Cloud go in for her revamping? This might give us a clue. I suppose they would want the Wind ready for the Antarctic Season.

Impca,

It’s not that I don’t like where the Cloud now sails, I am unhappy because Expedition sailings are too strenuous for me now.

Tothesunset,

If they mess with the Shadow/Whisper it would probably be the end for me.

I'm confused. Unless you just don't like where the Cloud sails, what did they do to it that you don't like? I sailed the Cloud in 2010 and would love to sail the new and improved Cloud now.

I think there is a place for a small ship that follows the traditional itineraries rather than the expedition itineraries of the Cloud.

Hello all,

I will throw my hat in the ring, and would say that I think it is pretty certain that my beloved Wind will become a second Cloud! This is based on very reliable information, that as the Cloud is proving successful, it makes business sense to have a second bite of the cherry. The Cloud has been refurbished to a mini Muse standard, and expedition voyages are very popular with a lot of the cognescenti who relish the out of the ordinary ports, although not necessarily an expedition lifestyle.

One of the main differences is that the Cloud's capacity has been cut by a third, to 200 passengers, and this must inevitably impact on prices. Moreover I believe she has a complement of upwards of 20 expedition staff. Factor in also the requirement for zodiacs ( presumably), and the cost base over a classic ship, starts to rise.

If I was contemplating a cruise on the Wind in 2019, then I would be wanting SS to be making all the arrangements. This would avoid me having to unpick flight, transfers and hotels, and argue about compensation for the non-refundable elements in the seemingly likely situation that the Wind goes through a metamorphosis.

She was my first and remains my favourite of all SS ships, and I would be extremely disappointed to lose her from the classic fleet.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

And even though the thread was to announce a third muse class ship being built, the thing on everyone's mind is the impact this seems to imply will happen and echoed by people in the know. .... And it kinda tells its own story.

No fanfare for a new ship but sadness, dissapointment and likely anger when if past history is anything to go by, booked cruises get cancelled.

I really hope if / when the dates are decided they do it after the current schedule in place ends.

Rumours of the Spirit Stretch started about a month prior to the cruise critic member announcement (I actually never did get told officially what was happening!) And work started about 7 months later. If that time frame is repeated, then sadly I've had my last Wind cruise already! Sheesh.... I hope my September lunch visit isn't in danger too!

Rumours of the Spirit Stretch started about a month prior to the cruise critic member announcement (I actually never did get told officially what was happening!) And work started about 7 months later. If that time frame is repeated, then sadly I've had my last Wind cruise already! Sheesh.... I hope my September lunch visit isn't in danger too!

Yikes, me too! Isn't your Wind lunch on the day we disembark?? September 18th (or the next day, the 19th)? If so, that would mean that our cruise itself is also in danger. I doubt they could get things going that fast but you never know. I will be optimistic and not cancel my plans yet (especially since I just PIF the last week of April for the 10% discount). :D

It does seem logical that Wind will be next, and she too will probably make a great expedition ship. We have never sailed on a SS ship larger than Cloud or Wind, and we don't have any such sailings booked either. I kind of agree with TTS and ME. We really like the feel of the small ships - it's so nice to be on a cruise with only 300 others. Not that 500-600 is necessarily terrible (OK, I know we are spoiled), but I've heard from friends who cruised on Spirit that it is a "different" vibe and they didn't like it as much.

I guess we will have to see what the "big" ships are like at some point. I am sure we will have a great time despite any worries. OTOH, we've done a lot of the classic itineraries, so new expedition ships and routes offer more interest at the moment.

I do worry about overcrowding of the more popular expedition itineraries. It has to be coming, with all the new builds and refurbishments going on. When we were in Antarctica in 2009, with PAII and 128 guests, it felt like we were alone at the end of the earth. What about when Cloud and Wind are there with 400, plus all the other new ships? Will there be a line for the funicular at Brown Bluff? ;)

Mr Silver,

After you were notified, what happened next? Did they offer you a full refund? Did you get any special compensation for the trouble the cancellation must have caused you? Hope you hadn’t booked Air independently. You know they 100% know when they will be going into dry dock. When did the Cloud go in for her revamping? This might give us a clue. I suppose they would want the Wind ready for the Antarctic

We were offered a full refund or up to 30% of an equivalent cruise, however prices had just been increased by at least 25-30%, so their first alternate quote was for us to pay them an extra £4000. After a couple of weeks Monaco saw some sort of sense and we ended up with a cruise of the same length for no change in cost. That’s not exactly what I call compensation for a significant amount of aggro.

I think there is a place for a small ship that follows the traditional itineraries rather than the expedition itineraries of the Cloud.

We agree, and that is why we would like to see the Wind stay the way it is until it’s retired.

My feeling is that the Wind if indeed she becomes an expedition lite ship will take over and expand the itineraries of the Discoverer.I really cant see that they would have 3 ice rated ships.The Explorer really isn't well suited to tropical waters.

My feeling is that the Wind if indeed she becomes an expedition lite ship will take over and expand the itineraries of the Discoverer.I really cant see that they would have 3 ice rated ships.The Explorer really isn't well suited to tropical waters.
Amen! My sentiments exactly. The Wind would be used as a replacement for the Discoverer to offer a much better sailing experience in waters that can really rock-n-roll the Discover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were offered a full refund or up to 30% of an equivalent cruise, however prices had just been increased by at least 25-30%, so their first alternate quote was for us to pay them an extra £4000. After a couple of weeks Monaco saw some sort of sense and we ended up with a cruise of the same length for no change in cost. That’s not exactly what I call compensation for a significant amount of aggro.

les37b says work started on Spirit about 7 months after the announcement. Were you, or others affected, offered any compensation in terms of airfares, accommodation etc as I imagine many would have already booked and I think would have suffered some losses. I know I would have!

les37b says work started on Spirit about 7 months after the announcement. Were you, or others affected, offered any compensation in terms of airfares, accommodation etc as I imagine many would have already booked and I think would have suffered some losses. I know I would have!
My cruise booked was the same as Silver Spectre. I booked mine in March 2017 and scheduled for April 2018.

In honesty I can't remember the exact date I found out. It was mid to end of July 2017. I never actually had anything from Silversea... I phoned them "to find out"!

It took a while for SS to come back with how they would deal with this and in truth I was extremely angry they would do this and cancel 7 or 8 full and near full cruises instead of planning to schedule this properly.

The initial offer was a full refund (hardly an offer!)

30% discount on any cruise in 2017 or the period the Spirit was in dry dock. 20% off anything else in 2018 or 10% in 2019

Problem was, the price we paid by booking and paying in full had actually doubled by the time the news dropped. It proved impossible to get anything as a direct replacement for the same pricing levels and I argued the case with SS that unless the alternative cruise price wasn't banded for the same timeframe I booked, then they weren't actually offering a discount at all.

I picked a couple alternatives and the price came back as expected hugely over budget.

I then got the tip to try again and my consultant told me to pick 3 alternatives. I got my first choice which I have to admit, we would have been unlikely to pick based on cost and air costs.

Whilst still disappointed it had happened, it was dealt with in the end generously and to our satisfaction. And looking back at the emails, my consultant broke the news on my birthday too. :-) Happy days.

Although jumping the gun here... There is no announcement or news it actually will happen The situation is slightly different, I doubt it will be the same offer or at least "top up"...... I would however be happy to trade our 11 day Caribbean cruise with 2 nights accommodation and flights, for a similar length stay with flights on a Ushuaia or Northward migration Silver Wind expedition on the dates we should have sailed.

That sounds reasonable to me! :-)

So time frames are quite similar!!

Edited by les37b

We agree, and that is why we would like to see the Wind stay the way it is until it’s retired.

There are a lot of people who will agree with this entirely. Count me as one of them.