Oman: Tips, Secrets, Ideas, etc.??!!

TLCOhio

Getting ready to do a Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, Nautica sailing from Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. This includes two Omanstops in Salalah and Muscat. What are your best tips, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., from visiting Oman? Don't be shy!! Love to hear any and all potentials.

From the weekend Wall Street Journal today, they had a new magazine, Far & Away, that has been published in cooperation with National Geographic. On the cover this morning, they have this headline: “Wild Ride in Oman” with a great picture of an Arabian horse running in the ocean surf. This story noted that these horses have been prepared by Bedouin breeders "to run farther and longer than other breeds. Arab poets dubbed them 'drinkers of the wind' and 'swallowers of the ground.' The Prophet Muhammad declared them sacred." Fascinating and interesting details related to Oman and this part of the world.

This story also highlighted: Arabs recognized the military advantage their fast, light horses gave them, especially compared to the large, slow horses ridden by heavily armored European knights during the Crusades. Eventually Arabian blood would course through the veins of the cavalries of the Far East, the Ottoman Empire, Europe and the New World. Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, the Spanish conquistadors, George Washington—all rode Arabians, which effectively means that Arabian horses conquered the world.WOW! Great history and background related to Oman and this region.

This author also shared: "My main reason for coming to Oman had more to do with its varied topography, which is nothing short of a geologic wonderland. I also chose Oman because of its monarch, Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, a devoted horse lover. In recent years, he has sought to restore the horse culture that once helped define his kingdom." Below are some pictures from this magazine piece this morning. My excitement is really building for visiting Oman.

Full story at:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/features/far-and-away/sea-to-sand-arabian-horses-oman/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From this Wall Street Journal/Naional Geographic magazine, here is one of the many pictures featured. It is of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, in Muscat, that was inaugurated in 2001. Next are a couple of the visuals featuring their wonderful Arabian horses.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-19%20at%2010.12.26%20AM_zps1i0dq0kl.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-19%20at%2010.15.53%20AM_zpsp5enhi3w.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-19%20at%2010.15.18%20AM_zpst4ypjjsc.png

We did a lovely ships tour in from Muscat. We went to watch fish being auctioned at a seaside fish market, then to a fort, had lunch at a beautiful resort hotel on the countryside, then went to a little stream that had fish in that nibbled your feet, like the fish on fish spas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Muscat is absolutely wonderful. Salalah pales in comparison.

We did a lovely ships tour in from Muscat. We went to watch fish being auctioned at a seaside fish market, then to a fort, had lunch at a beautiful resort hotel on the countryside, then went to a little stream that had fish in that nibbled your feet, like the fish on fish spas.

Appreciate these two great follow-ups with helpful info and insights. Did want to ask and press ilovhywd for more details and specifics. What made Muscat so "absolutely wonderful"? Tell us more!! Love to hear lots of added background information. Don't want to miss the "stars" in Muscat.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 202,078 views for this posting.

Okay. Muscat. You could just sit on the ship and gaze at the town in its gorgeous mountainous setting, especially at sunset. We used Ali B. From Tours by Locals. He patiently explained Islam and Muscat to us. The mosque is outstanding, (although not as large as the Mosque in Abu Dhabi.). Be sure to have your legs and arms covered and bring a scarf for your hair. The new Opera House was closed that day, but the adjacent galleria of stores had excellent bathrooms! Then we drove up to the Shangri-La Hotel and Barr Al Jissah for great views. Stopped by the Sultan's palace and learned all about him. After the city tour, we visited the souks for fun shopping. (Your ship might have a shuttle bus from the ship to the souk entrance. ) Be sure to ogle the Sultan's two yachts which are docked at the port!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was in Muscat in November on Crystal Symphony and absolutely loved it as well. I too ,hired Tours by locals and used Valentina for both days. One of the highlights was spending some time at The Chedi Muscat . I loved Muscat so much that I am returning next year !

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

If you are only in Muscat for the day, I recommend visiting the Bait al Zubair Museum. There are many small museums to explore. For those doing an overnight, check out the Royal Opera House, a beautiful venue and top notch entertainment.

https://omantourism.gov.*****/wps/portal/mot/tourism/oman/home/experiences/culture/museums/!ut/p/a0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOItvc1dg40MzAz8fZzMDTyDQz0Mg92djC0sTPQLsh0VATQrLx4!/

If you are spending time on your own...definitely the Chedi!

Terry-hope you are spending additional time in Dubai at the end of the cruise so that you can also visit Abu Dhabi and Al Ain. I look forward to your pictures!

If you are only in Muscat for the day, I recommend visiting the Bait al Zubair Museum. For those doing an overnight, check out the Royal Opera House, a beautiful venue and top notch entertainment.

https://omantourism.gov.*****/wps/portal/mot/tourism/oman/home/experiences/culture/museums/!ut/p/a0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOItvc1dg40MzAz8fZzMDTyDQz0Mg92djC0sTPQLsh0VATQrLx4!/

If you are spending time on your own...definitely the Chedi!

Terry-hope you are spending additional time in Dubai at the end of the cruise so that you can also visit Abu Dhabi and Al Ain. I look forward to your pictures!

I was in Muscat in November on Crystal Symphony and absolutely loved it as well. I too ,hired Tours by locals and used Valentina for both days. One of the highlights was spending some time at The Chedi Muscat . I loved Muscat so much that I am returning next year !Barbara
Muscat. You could just sit on the ship and gaze at the town in its gorgeous mountainous setting, especially at sunset. We used Ali B. From Tours by Locals. He patiently explained Islam and Muscat to us. The mosque is outstanding, (although not as large as the Mosque in Abu Dhabi.). Be sure to have your legs and arms covered and bring a scarf for your hair. Then we drove up to the Shangri-La Hotel and Barr Al Jissah for great views. Stopped by the Sultan's palace and learned all about him. After the city tour, we visited the souks for fun shopping. Be sure to ogle the Sultan's two yachts which are docked at the port!

Appreciate ALL of these above great comments and follow-ups. Wonderful postings, information and background!! Very helpful. Keep it coming!!

YES, we will have added time for Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc. But, had not heard of Al Ain. Will do more checking for the options there. Am planning to capture lots and lots of great visuals from this part of the world to share here on the Cruise Critic boards.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 226,685 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I love Oman! I have been there twice, once on business and another time visiting friends. Oman is gorgeous and the locals are friendly and helpful. Muscat is a city nestled in hills and the excellent roads are called "the magic carpet" as they weave between the hills. The old souk is the best in the Middle East. Al Bustan is beautiful and well worth the trip out. Muscat is a small city and very friendly. My friends have loved living there for a number of years--they are expats and are there with their jobs. I am doing a cruise later this fall from Rome to Abu Dhabi, and I am flying to Muscat after the cruise to spend another four days there. I lived in the Middle East for three years with my work, and I found Muscat and the country of Oman my favorite part of the Gulf, above and beyond the glitz and glamour of Dubai. Yes, it is good to check out the other cities, but Oman is gorgeous! Have fun on your trip!

I love Oman! I have been there twice, once on business and another time visiting friends. Oman is gorgeous and the locals are friendly and helpful. Muscat is a city nestled in hills and the excellent roads are called "the magic carpet" as they weave between the hills. The old souk is the best in the Middle East.

WOW!! Appreciate your above great comments and follow-up. You are really building up the excitement for visiting this part of the world for the first time. It all sounds wonderful. Keep it coming. Great sharing and highly informative.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 57,103 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Muscat in january on a Arabian Sea and India cruise. While before we had been unsure about what to expect, Muscat was easily one of the best port stops on the cruise. We were totally enchanted with the rugged landscape.

We decided to tour on our own and took a taxi to the newly opened national museum, which is just opposite the sultans palace. The museum is well laid out and very interesting, and best of all, we shared it with maybe 10 other visitors.

Most people visit the Bait al Zubair mentioned above, and while I cannot compare the two, I have to say that we had a wonderful visit to the national museum, we learned so much about the country and its culture. Afterwards we strolled around the area and enjoyed the sunlight reflecting off the cliffs - fantastic. The day was topped off with a visit to the souk, which is walking distance from the port.

Since our ship only docked at midday, we didn't get to visit the grand mosque, since it's only open to tourists in the mornings, so keep that in mind when planning your day.

If you decide to venture out using taxis, be sure to agree on a price before getting in the car, since the taxis are not metered (in contrast to the UAE where all taxis are metered). Also, have some idea how much you're willing to pay for the ride and stay adamant, it took us quite some haggling.

I found a taxi fare calculator for Muscat online by googling, so you can estimate beforehand what price to expect and haggle your way there, as we were quoted two times that price.

At the port entrance, you will meet a lot of taxi drivers trying to offer you a two hour tour, and for some reason they tried to discourage us from going to the national museum and offering to drive us to the Bait al Zubair instead, even lying to us saying the national museum was closed (while I knew for a fact that it wasn't) - not sure if they receive some sort of kick back from the other one...

The haggling with the taxi drivers aside, we had a fantastic day in Muscat, and Oman snuck its way to the top of the list of countries we want to visit again, this time to explore the countryside and landscapes away from the coast.

• 1 month later...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We, my sister and I, will be there in November. I have a question, please. Did you do this on a tour, or by yourself. We are not on a tour yet and are looking. If we could do it by ourselves, it would be a plus, even though we don't speak the language. Thanks.

We visited Muscat in january on a Arabian Sea and India cruise. While before we had been unsure about what to expect, Muscat was easily one of the best port stops on the cruise. We were totally enchanted with the rugged landscape. We decided to tour on our own and took a taxi to the newly opened national museum, which is just opposite the sultans palace. The museum is well laid out and very interesting, and best of all, we shared it with maybe 10 other visitors.

Appreciate these above great details, experience and follow-ups. Wonderful background and ideas to consider.

From this below web story earlier this week, they had this headline: Move over Dubai, Oman has just become the next hottest destination for people's vacation with these highlights: Oman has just become the next hottest destination for people's vacation. Most travellers often head to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. But it's time explore the beauty and wildlife that comes with Oman and add itto your bucket list. Apart from the Grand Mosque, Sultan's Palace, Bait Al Zubair, Oman is also famous for its wildlife and nature. Oman’s natural reserves and wildlife sanctuaries protect important coastal and desert habitats totaling almost 30,000kms. The sheer diversity of Oman’s landscapes will astonish and inspire you.

Many ideas, visuals and other tips are contained in this story. It helps build the excitement for visiting Oman in December.

Full story at:

https://www.timesnownews.com/entertainment/lifestyle/travel/article/move-over-dubai-you-must-head-to-oman-for-your-next-vacation/272844

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 41,414 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Times of Oman, they had this headline: Oman first stop on US travel company world tour plan with some of these highlights: A stable and welcoming monarchy on the Arabian Peninsula, Oman promises visual and cultural delights. Perhaps because its non-glitzy capital, Muscat, offers an appealing contrast to the capitals of some of its booming neighbours, Oman is only now starting to show up on the tourism radar. This sparsely populated nation enjoys a diverse and rich landscape, which may surprise those who think of it as a desert kingdom. With coconut palms swaying off of Salalah’s beach resorts in the far southwest, you could easily imagine you were in the Caribbean.

Looking forward to our two stops in Oman in December. This profile also: "recommends the busy and historic Muttrah Souq where you can pick up your frankincense, or purchase a curved silver khanjar dagger. Its harbour-front location is a reminder that this crossroads nation has absorbed cultural influences from Africa, India, and Persia."

Full story at:

https://timesofoman.com/article/139315

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 211,327 views for this posting.

From this article, here is one visual used to illustrate this story. Look good and interesting?:

913728_zpstvjwrjdl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

From CNN, I discovered that last fall the late and famed travel host Anthony Bourdain did one of his segment on Oman. Here was one of his summary highlights: Oman defies expectations; it shouldn’t, according to the cruel logic of the world, exist. But it does, and it’s incredible.”

With his mini-history of Oman, Bourdain makes the point that this country has gone from being "nothing" prior to 1970 to something now of fascinating substance in a very short period of time. As an example, in 1970, there were only nine miles of paved roads in Muscat, their capital. Yes, this country is led and ruled by an absolute monarch, but the improvements in education, healthcare, infrastructure, etc., have been significant. As always, his shows weave visual and sensory stories of the people, their customs, traditions, food, beverages, etc., in such a unique manner. Seeing these different short video clip highlights really spikes up my interest and excitement for visiting Oman in December.

Much of the food has a dynamic mix of different cultures, including Asian Indian, Arabic, African, Western, etc. Need to check YouTube and find this full, hour-long program. Wikipedia notes: "Oman is the site of pre-historic human habitation, stretching back over 100,000 years. The region was impacted by powerful invaders, including other Arab tribes, Portugal and Britain. Oman once possessed the island of Zanzibar, on the east coast of Africa as a colony." Since 1970, the ruler has been Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said. He is now age 77.

Here is Bourdain's key conclusion: "Oman, if you haven’t gathered already, is a remarkable place.

More of Anthony Bourdain "Parts Unknown" at:

https://explorepartsunknown.com/destination/oman/

Wikipedia summary of Oman's history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Oman

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,393 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here are two of the screen shot visuals from CNN in connection with their segment from last fall by Anthony Bourdain about Oman. Nothing seems boring here!:

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%205.54.58%20PM_zpsty0fkgit.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%204.51.19%20PM_zpspcp2qdfq.png

Had a chance last night to view the full video of Anthony Bourdain's profile on Oman that originally aired last year. You can find it at this link:

From Travel+Leisure magazine last year, they had this headline: Anthony Bourdain will make you add Oman to your travel bucket list with these specific highlights: Anthony Bourdain teases that you probably can’t find Oman on a map. But after watching Sunday night’s episode of Parts Unknown, viewers may be tempted to get out their atlases and commit Oman’s geography to memory. On his journey through the diverse country, Bourdain travels through the desert on a camel, meanders through an ancient marketplace and eats lunch on the side of a mountain. Oman has a fascinating history — although not many people know about it. It’s been plagued by civil war and meddling foreign powers. But it’s also a country that, Bourdain says, is welcome to outsiders. He praises the Omani tolerance towards different cultures, religions and viewpoints.

Excellent summary points about Oman from their article. The more I learn about Oman, it builds up my excitement for visiting there in December. So glad we have two stops in this country that is seems to be very unique and special.

Full T+L story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/celebrity-travel/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-oman

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 241,123 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are four of the visuals related to Bourdain's profile on Oman, its history, people, food, culture, etc.:

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%209.31.58%20PM_zps4nncmgjh.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%209.32.49%20PM_zps2yirguog.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%209.32.24%20PM_zpswxpbs2oa.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%209.33.14%20PM_zpsfplyown8.png

In my research for our trip next March, I have read that their monarch has and is on a very focused mission to bring their country into the 21st century and make it a top tourist destination. He has made many many changes and his people are prospering. I, too, am anxiously awaiting our time there ......

HM Sultan Quaboos is indeed credited with opening Oman, not only to tourism, but also to the West in general.

He was educated at military schools in the UK, and when he returned to Oman he quickly dethroned his father, sent him into exile and modernised the country.

HM is (pretty much by law) admired by his people. Sultan Quaboos is one if the few absolute monarchs left in the world.

These days he is rarely seen in public and seems to spend a lot if the time in Germany for treatment of an ongoing, officially undisclosed medical condition.

Since HM is not married and has no children (read into this what you like) there is great uncertainty what will happen after his death (which won t be too far off). All sorts of rumours are around that there is a "sealed letter" that is to be opened, revealing his wish / appointment of his successor.

HM Sultan Quaboos is indeed credited with opening Oman, not only to tourism, but also to the West in general. He was educated at military schools in the UK, and when he returned to Oman he quickly dethroned his father, sent him into exile and modernised the country. HM is (pretty much by law) admired by his people. Sultan Quaboos is one if the few absolute monarchs left in the world. These days he is rarely seen in public and seems to spend a lot if the time in Germany for treatment of an ongoing, officially undisclosed medical condition. Since HM is not married and has no children (read into this what you like) there is great uncertainty what will happen after his death (which won t be too far off). All sorts of rumours are around that there is a "sealed letter" that is to be opened, revealing his wish / appointment of his successor.

Appreciate the above additional background information and the follow-up from this experienced resident of the Middle East. I had read much of that info on the current Sultan. As I understand he is now age 77 and has been dealing with supposed cancer challenges.

Per the Encyclopedia Britannica, his education included the Royal Military Academy, in Berkshire/UK. He was nearly 30 years old when in 1970, he took over the palace in a coup with British support and exiled his father. Wikipedia details that he had two short marriages, but that no heirs were produced. Yes, that "sealed letter" is an interesting twist as to how his successor would be determined. It also indicated that he is a "an avid fan and promoter of classical music." Clearly, this ruler has done a great job in bring his country into the 21st Century and balancing the difficult political interests in this part of the world.

Given the trading history of Oman and that at one time their country stretched from Pakistan to Zanzibar in Africa, it makes this nation and its history/culture even more fascinating. Keep it coming with this great sharing!!

More at:

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Qaboos-bin-Said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaboos_bin_Said_al_Said

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,607 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

SQ is indeed a lover of classical music and keeps his own orchestras to play his dinner music. The ROP Royal Oman Police has several very picturesque bands who are a lot better at marching than playing music. ;-)

Of course the Opera House in Muscat is world class. Arabs of a certain persuasion with too much money and free hand in decorating coukd have resulted in design style of Liberace meets Elton John, but the ROH is nothing but understated elegance.

Productions run from the sublime to the weird and wonderful, and anybody with a name in classical music, and to a certain extent Jazz, has already performed there.

The opening, 5 or so years ago, was with a Franco Zefirelli production of Turandot, with Zefirelli himself (attached to oxygen bottles) directing the rehearsals and attending the opening from one of the stage boxes.

It was cute to read in the local press the next day that "Maestro Giaccomo Puccini directed 3 operas on the location of last night's opening of the Royal Opera House".

When it counts, Omanis don't shy away from making the impossible possible. Even bringing long dead composers back to life for a night...

SQ is indeed a lover of classical music and keeps his own orchestras to play his dinner music. The ROP Royal Oman Police has several very picturesque bands who are a lot better at marching than playing music. Of course the Opera House in Muscat is world class. Arabs of a certain persuasion with too much money and free hand in decorating could have resulted in design style of Liberace meets Elton John, but the ROH is nothing but understated elegance. Productions run from the sublime to the weird and wonderful, and anybody with a name in classical music, and to a certain extent Jazz, has already performed there. The opening, 5 or so years ago, was with a Franco Zefirelli production of Turandot, with Zefirelli himself (attached to oxygen bottles) directing the rehearsals and attending the opening from one of the stage boxes. It was cute to read in the local press the next day that "Maestro Giaccomo Puccini directed 3 operas on the location of last night's opening of the Royal Opera House". When it counts, Omanis don't shy away from making the impossible possible. Even bringing long dead composers back to life for a night...

Appreciate this great, above background and follow-up from our on-site expert in the Middle East. Will share on our cruise roll-call. Love learning more about Oman where we will have two different stops.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: “Best destinations for December sun with these highlights for Oman: The United Arab Emirates’ neighbour enjoys the same mid-Twenties warmth during the European winter as Abu Dhabi and Dubai – while projecting more of an air of refinement than the latter. Muscat certainly sees itself as an artistic city – home to an ornate opera house, plus the contemporary paintings at Ghalya’s Museum of Modern Art. But for many visitors, it is all about the beaches - with the hotels of Zighy Bay providing chic welcome.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/winter-sun-where-to-go-in-december/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 60,616 views for these postings.

From this UK newspaper article, here is the visual used to illustrate their segment on Oman. This is the exterior of the ornate opera house in Muscat.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-04%20at%209.57.18%20PM_zps1pd1oylp.png

• 3 weeks later...

From the Times in Singapore, they have this AFP wire story with this headline yesterday: “Israel's Prime Minister makes secret Oman visit”  with these highlights: “Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has made the first visit to Oman by an Israeli premier in over 20 years in an apparent sign of growing regional ties.  The surprise meeting with Oman's Sultan Qaboos late on Thursday comes despite the two nations having no diplomatic ties.  The trip is a major coup for Netanyahu, who has said he wants to bolster ties with the Arab world despite a stalemate on the Palestinian front.  Netanyahu and Sultan Qaboos discussed the Middle East peace process.  The visit came at the invitation of Sultan Qaboos and followed 'lengthy contacts between the two countries.'   The Israeli premier's trip formed part of "the policy outlined by Prime Minister Netanyahu on deepening relations with the states of the region", his office said.

Interesting development as to the important role of Oman in these larger issues for the Middle East and its future.

Full story at:

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/israels-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahu-makes-secret-oman-visit

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 78,906 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here was one of the visuals featured with this news article for the meeting in Oman between their Sultan and the Israel Prime Minister.  Impressive looking setting at the Sultan's palace!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

411394660_ScreenShot2018-10-26at4_09_25PM.thumb.png.24ad3655e852969d3a875c7d3937aea7.png

On 8/22/2018 at 8:23 AM, duellapaul said:

We, my sister and I, will be there in November. I have a question, please. Did you do this on a tour, or by yourself. We are not on a tour yet and are looking. If we could do it by ourselves, it would be a plus, even though we don't speak the language. Thanks.

No, this was a ship’s tour.

You will be able to visit Muscat on your own.  I have been there twice and have used taxis to get around.  Before you go, download an offline map of Muscat on Google maps and you can use this to help you get around.  The old souk is fun, plus the museum, mosque, etc.  Muscat is an enchanting, beautiful old city!!  Enjoy every moment!  I would go back once more!