Two very insignificant questions about the Getaway

momsince96

I did search, but one I couldn't find an definitive answer to, and the other I didn't know how to phrase.

1) Is there Splenda on the ship? (told ya, not earth shattering)

2) We originally booked into a balcony room, but won an upgrade to a mini-suite. My husband was messing around the NCL site today and noted that the $7.95 room service charge is waived for suites. Would that apply to us do you suppose? Or is that even a thing?

Thanks for those who read and in advance for those who will answer!!

I did search, but one I couldn't find an definitive answer to, and the other I didn't know how to phrase.

2) We originally booked into a balcony room, but won an upgrade to a mini-suite. My husband was messing around the NCL site today and noted that the $7.95 room service charge is waived for suites. Would that apply to us do you suppose? Or is that even a thing?

Unfortunately, "mini-suite" has got to be among the worst labeling errors anywhere.

There is nothing "suite" about it, other than the misleading name.

Consider it to be a "deluxe balcony", and you will be pleased.

GC

Yep, I am clear on what the upgrade to the mini-suite means - I did do my research ahead of my (low) bid and the extra bathroom square footage had value to me. My question was whether the suite part applied to use plebes NOT in Haven, or if that was reserved only for those in actual true suites as the word typically is defined (i.e. Haven rooms).

Yep, I am clear on what the upgrade to the mini-suite means - I did do my research ahead of my (low) bid and the extra bathroom square footage had value to me. My question was whether the suite part applied to use plebes NOT in Haven, or if that was reserved only for those in actual true suites as the word typically is defined (i.e. Haven rooms).

Let me phrase it in a way different than those easily confused by parts of words.,..

There are suites in the Haven. These are category H cabins

There are suites outside the Haven, These are category S cabins.

For both of the above, the room service charge is waived.

Then there are minisuite cabins. These are category M cabins which pay for room service just like any other non-suite cabin.

Sorry I was not more clear.

I was focused on the fact that a "mini-suite" is NOT a "suite" (which is unfortunate naming, to put it mildly).

But there are two types of suites, and in some cases they have identical floor plans.

Some have Haven access and some do not.

In fact, not all NCL ships have a "Haven", but those have suites nevertheless.

Other ships with Havens, such as the Jewel class ships, have "Haven suites" and non-Haven suites, and in some cases, both types are the same. The difference is the location and also the Haven access.

Further complicating this, not all Haven suites are IN the Haven. One can see on Deck Plans where there are "Haven Suites" that are not physically in the Haven area. However, they still get Haven access.

GC

Ah, thank you for the clarification! That makes better sense (in layman's terms, I guess - although NCL does make it very confusing in their terms!!)

It's actually a joke between my better half and I: I *LOVE* room service and he does not (often because I end up falling asleep after ordering it since I sleep like a bear in winter in a cruise cabin) and he was a little delighted to find that there was an $8 service charge because that would surely discourage me!! Which it did, until lo and behold, he found the ambiguous verbiage about room service being "free" in the suites. So, he'll be glad. And frankly, I don't care. The charm of having room service delivered after a loonnng wait has lost its appeal to me as well. I don't think we'll have an easy time clarifying these things once on board, so I am trying to get to the bottom of it beforehand.

For Getaway, all suites are "H" including the "outside" suites (H6, H7, H9).

So? I never said ALL ships had both types of suites. Some have one, some have the other, some have both. Doesn't change the fact that suites are either category H or category S cabins...ONLY.

Let me phrase it in a way different than those easily confused by parts of words.,..

There are suites in the Haven. These are category H cabins

There are suites outside the Haven, These are category S cabins.

For both of the above, the room service charge is waived.

Then there are minisuite cabins. These are category M cabins which pay for room service just like any other non-suite cabin.

[emphasis added]

Given some ongoing confusion...

At least on *some* ships, there are HAVEN suites that are OUTSIDE the Haven.

That is, these Haven suites still have full Haven access (plus all other suite perks, of course), even though they might be quite far from the Haven.

An example is on the Jewel class ships, where the Haven is midship.

There are 4 OS located right at the front, all forward-facing with forward balconies plus a smaller side balcony. These are not only way forward of the Haven area, but these are a few decks below the Haven.

But if one is in any of these, one can trot down the hall, insert keycard into elevator for access to Haven area, and up one goes...

These 4 suites are "outside the Haven", but they are "H" suites.

There may be others on other ships, but we haven't seen any others like this.

GC

[emphasis added]

Given some ongoing confusion...

At least on *some* ships, there are HAVEN suites that are OUTSIDE the Haven.

That is, these Haven suites still have full Haven access (plus all other suite perks, of course), even though they might be quite far from the Haven.

An example is on the Jewel class ships, where the Haven is midship.

There are 4 OS located right at the front, all forward-facing with forward balconies plus a smaller side balcony. These are not only way forward of the Haven area, but these are a few decks below the Haven.

But if one is in any of these, one can trot down the hall, insert keycard into elevator for access to Haven area, and up one goes...

These 4 suites are "outside the Haven", but they are "H" suites.

There may be others on other ships, but we haven't seen any others like this.

GC

Since we're so interested in avoiding confusion.

Going back to Post #1, the topic of the thread is whether or not the minisuite gets free room service since that is a "suite" benefit. The topic is NOT Haven access, and/or the location of suites.

The point of the reply was to identify which cabins (H and S) are considered suites and therefore get free room service, and which cabins (M, B, O, I, and T) are not suites and therefore do not get free room service.

Lets try to avoid confusion by staying on topic. If you'd like to discuss haven access and suite location it should be in another thread.

So? I never said ALL ships had both types of suites. Some have one, some have the other, some have both. Doesn't change the fact that suites are either category H or category S cabins...ONLY.

The OP is asking questions about Getaway. If the OP tries to find a "S" category stateroom on Getaway, the OP won't find any.

Neither of us posted incorrect information but for clarification and for the OP's benefit, I gave the information that pertains to Getaway.

The OP is asking questions about Getaway. If the OP tries to find a "S" category stateroom on Getaway, the OP won't find any.

Neither of us posted incorrect information but for clarification and for the OP's benefit, I gave the information that pertains to Getaway.

The OP wasn't looking for S category cabins on the Getaway, or any other ship. The OP wanted to know if their minisuite granted them free room service.

• 2 weeks later...
I am on deck 12 in an aft balcony. Do I want to switch floors since this is where splash academy is? We don't have your kids. Don't hate kids but just curious about stsying on this floor. Thx

It won't be noisy .... only perhaps on the first day during registration.

While there are certainly yellow sweetner packets I would read the ingredients before using them. I was on one cruise where both the yellow and the blue were in fact aspartame, to which I have reactions. I have also been on other cruises where the packet color did accurately reflect the ingredients. If it’s really important take some of your own.