Is it true? Cheers drink package not activated Day 1 of Horizon cruise???

We bought the Cheers drink package and read that we have to pay out of pocket for our drinks day 1? Do they reimburse you the amount? We are going in a few weeks and would love if someone who cruised recently would comment. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is true. When you sail out of New York Cheers can't be bought or activated until the second day. Same thing when sailing out of Galveston. If you bought Cheers in advance you are not charged for the first day. :cool:

We bought the Cheers drink package and read that we have to pay out of pocket for our drinks day 1? Do they reimburse you the amount? We are going in a few weeks and would love if someone who cruised recently would comment. Thank you!!

Thank you all for your quick replies. [emoji41] sounds reasonable... so looking forward to sailing on the new shop!

You wouldn’t really have enough time to get your moneys worth on the first day. Half the day is gone by the time you’re boarded and at a bar for a drink. And it takes like 6-7 drinks to break even. So it’s to your advantage to just start the Cheers program on day two. Have fun on the Horizon. It’s on my bucket list. :)

Edited by cruisinqt
spelling

Oddly, this is explained on Carnival’s website

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, many, if not most, of the questions asked here can be found on Carnival's website. I just don't understand waiting for what could be hours for a reply from an "expert" here, when the answer is easily found directly from carnival.

You wouldn’t really have enough time to get your moneys worth on the first day. Half the day is gone by the time you’re boarded and at a bar for a drink. And it takes like 6-7 drinks to break even. :)

I've sailed with buddies who hit 6-7 drinks before access to the staterooms is available.:cool:

You wouldn’t really have enough time to get your moneys worth on the first day. Half the day is gone by the time you’re boarded and at a bar for a drink. And it takes like 6-7 drinks to break even. So it’s to your advantage to just start the Cheers program on day two. Have fun on the Horizon. It’s on my bucket list. :)

Even if you don't board until 2:00, you still have 16 hours on the first day. How is that not enough time?

Absolutely not true. Embarkation day is normally the day we drink the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, definitely true due to something about liquor laws in New York and Texas. I work a midnight shift, and have a pretty funky sleep/wake schedule. When we sailed Breeze out of Galveston last year, I ended up getting early and enjoyed a delicious spiked Jamaican Coffee, a daiquiri and a mimosa before breakfast :) Looking forward to cruising out of NOLA this summer. Typically, my first stop after boarding a Dream-class is Tandoor, but maybe I will go straight to Alchemy this time... decisions decisions...

Can anyone cruise without drinking?

We can. 3 cruises without a drop of alcohol. We might have 10 drinks a year. MIGHT. Alcohol is not important to us. Kinda outgrew it. Sure did our share many years ago.

Galveston is the same. So, we usually do the steakhouse the first night for the free bottle of wine, plus it takes a while and we are TOO full to drink much. We drink the first night, just not as frequently as we do on the rest of the cruise since we are paying out of pocket. It doesn't bother me, but when we sailed on RC last year, it was nice that there is not the wait there. But I like the drinks better on Carnival, so I'll stick to just waiting a day. :)

Can anyone cruise without drinking?

I could, but I'm not sure why. I could only have bread and water too, I guess. Drinking does not mean be fall down, black out drunk (at least not for me) but a fruity drink, glass of bourbon, or wine can certainly make the voyage more enjoyable.

I dont know why the can't anyone cruise without drinking comment was even made- it wasn't part of the question, it's certainly not like you can't be served at all on day one, and the same could be said for, can't anyone cruise without over indulging in desert, etc. There is nothing wrong with drinking on a cruise, no risk of drinking and driving, etc. We drink way more on a cruise than at home, but are never sloppy drunk.

We can. 3 cruises without a drop of alcohol. We might have 10 drinks a year. MIGHT. Alcohol is not important to us. Kinda outgrew it. Sure did our share many years ago.

Me too...drank a few years in my early 20's..quickly out grew that and really have no taste or desire for alcohol.

If I drink 3 drinks in a year...that's a lot.

Why can't we ask questions on these boards and get answers? :confused:

Sometimes you want to get answers from people who have experienced something already not just look at an FAQ.

Yep, many, if not most, of the questions asked here can be found on Carnival's website. I just don't understand waiting for what could be hours for a reply from an "expert" here, when the answer is easily found directly from carnival.