Dubai Cruise Port to Airport

tring

We will be on a small ship, so do all ships dock in the same terminal and is there just one international airport (we will be on an Emirates flight)?

How long does it take to the airport in Dubai from the cruise port by taxi and about how much would it cost?

Are taxis easily picked up at the port, or would we be best pre booking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We will be on a small ship, so do all ships dock in the same terminal and is there just one international airport (we will be on an Emirates flight)?

How long does it take to the airport in Dubai from the cruise port by taxi and about how much would it cost?

Are taxis easily picked up at the port, or would we be best pre booking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently all cruise ships dock at the Port Rashid Cruise Terminal in Dubai. There are 3 terminal buildings however, terminal 1 is now the permenant home of the recently opened QE2 hotel so expect to be at either terminal 2 or 3 (they are beside each other).

Taxis are usually readily available at each terminal building whenever cruise ships are docked there.

There are two airports but all Emirates flights use Dubai International Airport - DXB. It depends on traffic and the time of day as to how long the ride from the port to the airport is. If you are catching one of the early morning flights back to the UK, then 20 minutes but later in the day maybe a little longer. All taxis are metered and the fare for a clear run between the two should be around Dhs.50 (approx £10)...

Anne..

Thank you for that useful information Jayayeff.

We will be booking a flight that goes out at 14.40 on the current timetable, but the cruise isn't until February 2020, so there is a possibility that could change slightly.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently all cruise ships dock at the Port Rashid Cruise Terminal in Dubai. There are 3 terminal buildings however, terminal 1 is now the permenant home of the recently opened QE2 hotel so expect to be at either terminal 2 or 3 (they are beside each other).

Taxis are usually readily available at each terminal building whenever cruise ships are docked there.

There are two airports but all Emirates flights use Dubai International Airport - DXB. It depends on traffic and the time of day as to how long the ride from the port to the airport is. If you are catching one of the early morning flights back to the UK, then 20 minutes but later in the day maybe a little longer. All taxis are metered and the fare for a clear run between the two should be around Dhs.50 (approx £10)...

Anne..

Anne, we are flying on Emirates into Dubai and intend to take a taxi to the port. We shall need to aquire some local currency for the taxi, are there ATM’s or money exchange facilities before we exit the airport and how do we ensure we get a reliable taxi to the port from the airport

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Vicki

Anne, we are flying on Emirates into Dubai and intend to take a taxi to the port. We shall need to aquire some local currency for the taxi, are there ATM’s or money exchange facilities before we exit the airport and how do we ensure we get a reliable taxi to the port from the airport

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Vicki

Vicki

Yes, there are money exchange counters and ATM's within the arrivals hall but if I remember rightly they are after you exit customs and are on the way out of the building. All taxis in Dubai are regulated and metered and come under the guidance of the RTA and only those vehicles (and the Emirates courtesy cars) are allowed to pick up passengers within the airport - they are all beige colour (the different colour roofs are just an indication of the various owning companies) and charge the same fares. I would just note that there is a surcharge for pick-up within the arrivals terminal which will already be on the meter - I think it is currently Dhs.20 or Dhs. 25 so the actual distance fare will be added to that...

Anne..

Vicki

Yes, there are money exchange counters and ATM's within the arrivals hall but if I remember rightly they are after you exit customs and are on the way out of the building. All taxis in Dubai are regulated and metered and come under the guidance of the RTA and only those vehicles (and the Emirates courtesy cars) are allowed to pick up passengers within the airport - they are all beige colour (the different colour roofs are just an indication of the various owning companies) and charge the same fares. I would just note that there is a surcharge for pick-up within the arrivals terminal which will already be on the meter - I think it is currently Dhs.20 or Dhs. 25 so the actual distance fare will be added to that...

Anne..

Thank you Anne for your very prompt and detailed reply.

It is reassuring to know we can expect a hassle free transfer start to our cruise.

Vicki

gymfreak

We stayed in Dubai for 3 nights early last year as a stopover. As we left the airport we went to the taxi rank and there were two rows of cars. One row beige cars with different colour roofs and the other row was of black cars. As we got to the front of the queue we were directed to one of the black cars, which I think may have been chauffeured cars and possibly more expensive, but I am not sure, not do I know why the person who was directing people to one row of cars or the other chose to direct us there. No problems with the transfer, but the return to the airport was a lot cheaper. Time of day may have made a difference.

Maybe someone else can clarify what had happened then.

gymfreak

We stayed in Dubai for 3 nights early last year as a stopover. As we left the airport we went to the taxi rank and there were two rows of cars. One row beige cars with different colour roofs and the other row was of black cars. As we got to the front of the queue we were directed to one of the black cars, which I think may have been chauffeured cars and possibly more expensive, but I am not sure, not do I know why the person who was directing people to one row of cars or the other chose to direct us there. No problems with the transfer, but the return to the airport was a lot cheaper. Time of day may have made a difference.

Thank you for that information, maybe someone can assist, it sounds like you may have been directed to a much more expensive option if the transfer back was a lot cheaper

Vicki

gymfreak

I’ve never come across that and can only assume they were chauffeur drive services linked to various hotel groups, which also double up as Careem or Uber services since they started up. I can only suggest that if they try to direct you to one just say that you don’t need a private car just a regular RTA taxi - especially from the airport to Port Rashid as it is a fairly short and straightforward drive between the two...

Anne..

I’ve never come across that and can only assume they were chauffeur drive services linked to various hotel groups, which also double up as Careem or Uber services since they started up. I can only suggest that if they try to direct you to one just say that you don’t need a private car just a regular RTA taxi - especially from the airport to Port Rashid as it is a fairly short and straightforward drive between the two...

Anne..

Thank you again Anne, I will remember your good advice

Vicki

Anne..

I thought RTA also offered a limo taxi service, which this sounds like, from the same queue as the red/pink top regular taxis. No doubt the dispatcher will claim ‘misunderstanding’, but you are correct, just stand your ground and take a regular taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a fair idea of what was happening as I had been using the TA forums and knew that the normal taxis were said to be beige with different coloured roofs. I had also told my husband and reminded him as we approached the taxi rank. Being his normal self he insisted on rushing ahead against my protests as soon as we were directed to the black car, He continued to insist he was right and that we should go where we were told.

Strange when you think he was a politics student in the sixties/seventies era and at that time he would protest about anything! In reality I think protesting against me (and winning) was the appeal at the time :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...