Price Drop?

haji

I made my final payment. The final payment due date has passed. My cabin has dropped $200.00 and RC says they can not give me OBC or a refund for price drop .... IS THIS ACCURATE?

I made my final payment. The final payment due date has passed. My cabin has dropped $200.00 and RC says they can not give me OBC or a refund for price drop .... IS THIS ACCURATE?

Yes. Once final payment is made they are under no obligation to reduce your price. Sometimes they will give OBC but that varies by cruise line. You bought something at a certain price. Now they are having a sale to clear out unsold inventory. Same as any retail business.

Common complaint, in particular with newer cruisers. Once final payment is made it is the final price you pay. Very common practice among most mass market cruise lines - not just RCI. Having prices drop is a way to sell unsold staterooms prior to departure.

You can always elect to wait to book a cruise until after final payment in the hope that there is a decrease and still a decent selection of staterooms to choose from. But that is never a certainty with price or selection.

Prior to final payment you can benefit with a reduced price over what you paid originally if the price is decreased. And prices change frequently, down as well as up - it's all based on supply and demand. You just have to keep track of your itinerary prior to the final payment date.

Another way to look at is would you expect to pay an increase after final payment if the prices go up? No, of course not! And yes, they can go up.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They may allow you to book a better cabin

RCI will allow that provided that the post final payment rate for the upgraded stateroom results in an increased rate to be paid over the original stateroom rate, and is not specified for new bookings only.

So in other words, you would be taking advantage of a reduced rate for an upgraded stateroom and paying the difference between that rate and what you paid originally.

I learned my lesson many years ago when the price of our cruise fell dramatically after the final payment date. Our TA negotiated an upgrade to a better cabin, but the experience still left a bad taste in my mouth. Since then, I've booked most of our cruises after the final payment date. The exceptions have been when I've really wanted to take a particular cruise and the price was good enough for us. Our upcoming cruise in September is an example. Currently, the price has gone up, so perhaps I got lucky this time. It will be interesting to see what the price does after the final payment date at the end of the month.

it is like the season end sale at the dept store

you may see a cheaper price than at the beginning of the season but the selections will be limited

Buy when the price is one you can live with

JMO

I learned my lesson many years ago when the price of our cruise fell dramatically after the final payment date. Our TA negotiated an upgrade to a better cabin, but the experience still left a bad taste in my mouth. Since then, I've booked most of our cruises after the final payment date. The exceptions have been when I've really wanted to take a particular cruise and the price was good enough for us. Our upcoming cruise in September is an example. Currently, the price has gone up, so perhaps I got lucky this time. It will be interesting to see what the price does after the final payment date at the end of the month.

Not challenging your decision at all, but as mentioned previously, the biggest risk I see with this is with limited selections of stateroom categories and available staterooms to choose from. And prices don't always drop after final payment. Plus if it is necessary to fly to a departure port that can become a pricing and availability issue as well.

The OP is referencing RCI, but in the recent year or two they have reduced their post final payment price changes as they have realized they can still sell out most of the time without that. Obviously that is ship and itinerary dependent.

But your strategy is one that would capitalize on these types of price changes. :)

RCI will allow that provided that the post final payment rate for the upgraded stateroom results in an increased rate to be paid over the original stateroom rate, and is not specified for new bookings only.

So in other words, you would be taking advantage of a reduced rate for an upgraded stateroom and paying the difference between that rate and what you paid originally.

Not necessarily.

We moved from two cabins (one balcony, on JR suite) to a Royal Family Suite (now 2 bedroom Grand Suite), when the RFS was less than the two other cabins combined. It was cheaper by several thousand dollars.

But yeap, NO refunds, not even some OBC, just got the suite.