FULL PAYMENT NEEDED NOW for July 2019 for Zuiderdam.????

Oceansaway17

It is helpful to remember that cruise lines' business plans are more focused on profit for the line than on inexpensive sailing for their guests, and that those two goals are somewhat opposed.

I am somewhat surprised by the occasional post which seems to reflect the opinion that the lines are unfair in pursuing their goals.

I never lose sight of the fact HAL is a for profit business. they don't let us forget that, not even for a brief mome nt.

I do think they sometimes forget these days, they have certain obligagtions to povide more than only a safe voyage .

• 2 months later...

We booked the July 5, 2019 Northern Isle Zuiderdam on March 9, just paid the $1200 deposit and trip insurance through our TA. There was a special about paying 1/2 deposit but it was non refundable. Nothing about paying in full.

I realize this thread is four months old, but since it's back on the front page it has our attention.

So for fun I just checked HAL's online res system for the OP's 7/29/2019 sailing on the Zuiderdam, and was able to find 3 different types of fares.

One is the Flash Fare which is non-refundable.

Another fare is the current Ready Set Sail promotion with pre paid grats. Deposit of $600 (reduced from $1200) is due on May 29, and final payment will be due on May 15, 2019. Deposit is refundable until final payment.

The third is the Advantage Fare, with $1200 refundable deposit, with the same due dates as Ready Set Sail.

Edited by Boatdrill

I realize this thread is four months old, but since it's back on the front page it has our attention.

So for fun I just checked HAL's online res system for the OP's 7/29/2019 sailing on the Zuiderdam, and was able to find 3 different types of fares.

Another fare is the current Ready Set Sail promotion with pre paid grats. Deposit of $600 (reduced from $1200) is due on May 29, and final payment will be due on May 15, 2019. Deposit is refundable until final payment.

The third is the Advantage Fare, with $1200 refundable deposit, with the same due dates as Ready Set Sail.

What were each of the total fares for each of your three fares?

• 2 months later...
I just tried booking the July 5 cruise (through my TA). I could book with only a deposit.

What date are you looking at?

Dear Homosassa, We just booked the 24 Day TA Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam out of Copenhagen to Boston, July 6-July 30, 2019. I have seen the above date of July 5 mentioned, and am hoping all is ok. ?

Also, we called HA agents several times and got wrong information from 2 of 3 , though nothing to do with paying all money up-front non-refundable. The stateroom availability is complicated, as there is a segment of the 24 day cruise sold for 7/6/19-7/13/19 (Norway, disembark Rotterdam); then another segment is sold for Rotterdam to Boston 17 days TA that my daughter, husband and grandson are taking.

I highly recommend buying through a travel agent who has saved me lots of money and time and confusion navigating the myriad of possibilities.

If you want her name and agency (not allowed to mention them here), my email is (without the spaces) : m linden 4 @ bell south . net

(CruiseCritic computer usually does not notify me of posts.)

PS. I'm trying to find our Roll Call for Zuiderdam, July 6, 2019, Copenhagen, but can't. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Miamitennismom

This makes sense — HAL appears to be offering options: if the discount for non-refundable, full fare up front is enough below the regular fare, why not? It sounds like good customer service - offering different options.

The July 5, 2019 Zuiderdam 14 day Northern Isle cruise out of Copenhagen was cancelled about 3 weeks ago. Many of us have transferred to the June 10, 14 day Zuiderdam cruise with almost the same itinerary. There is a roll call for it. As far as different fares, There is a $ 600 deposit offer and the deposit is non-refundable. There is also a fare with beverage package and specialty dinner package but it is $500-or $ 600 more than just there normal $1200 deposit per couple.

When I booked our January sailing on the Nieuw Statendam, I had the choice of a reduced fare with payment in full due at booking, or $100 more than the reduced fare with free gratuities, reduced deposit accepted. This was during the "Ready Set Sail" promotion in April, so it's nothing new.

We booked the July 5, 2019 Northern Isle Zuiderdam on March 9, just paid the $1200 deposit and trip insurance through our TA. There was a special about paying 1/2 deposit but it was non refundable. Nothing about paying in full.

Back in March and for about 4 weeks, HAL was requiring anyone reserving during this time to make full payments. That promo ended and in fact I checked and the fares did not go up much.

So their promo of providing a good rate if you pay in full was nothing but Bull *&^.

Now they have website issues. Just keeps getting better and better. Last week I wanted to research something for 2019 and after 2 days I gave up. oh well.

Back in March and for about 4 weeks, HAL was requiring anyone reserving during this time to make full payments. That promo ended and in fact I checked and the fares did not go up much.

So their promo of providing a good rate if you pay in full was nothing but Bull *&^.

Now they have website issues. Just keeps getting better and better. Last week I wanted to research something for 2019 and after 2 days I gave up. oh well.

I think that they were trying to deter new bookings with their strange pricing "plan" of full payment last March because they knew the Prinsendam sale announcement was coming up and they didn't need anymore guests to have to change their plans...

HAL (and other cruise lines) have been experimenting with lots of different payment options versus deals. Nothing would surprise me at this point. HAL does have lots of non-refundable deals (often with a decent discount) but I have never heard of paying 100% a year+ in advance.

I just looked at my favorite Cruise Agency web site and they all kinds of offers for that particular cruise including non-refundable deposit deals ($600). And even this reduced price comes with lots of amenities such as pre paid gratuities, plus a $225 onboard credit.

We are wondering if the OP is actually trying to book on HAL's own web site. Personally we would never consider this option since we can always save 7-10% or more by shopping around among our favorite reputable high volume cruise agencies.

Hank

What is so unfair? You have a choice. Pick one. What is wrong with choice?

But just make certain that you truly understand what you are buying, including the terms and conditions before pushing the buy button. If you do not understand something, ask for it in writing.

Why bother booking directly with HAL? As others have mentioned, you can probably get the fully refundable option from a TA at the same price as the fully non refundable option directly from HAL. The ticket price may or may be the same price however the TA will throw in enough OBC's etc. that will have the effect of netting out any price differences. We would never bother even calling HAL or trying to get on their website. We do not have that much patience. Much easier to use our TA or her company website.