Zuiderdam

terrybt

Zuiderdam like other Vista class ships offers one of the best value cabins out there in our opinion - the larger suites that are between the regular verandah cabins and the Neptune suites - can't remember what name they use, but they are our favorite choice. Particularly nice if you have a longer cruise or one with many at-sea days. Very comfortable accommodations. We have taken several cruises on the Zuiderdam - and they have all been enjoybable. Not our favorite ship in the HAL fleet, but very serviceable and with all the very welcome HAL features like great staff, good food and great itineraries. We like the smaller HAL ships first, or if we go larger we like the added features of the Neiuw Amsterdam/Eurodam ships - which include the Tamarind restaurant.

THIS LINK will show you a list of 498 threads about the Zuiderdam. You don't have to read them all, just pick some recent ones that have something about a review in the title, such as THIS ONE.

You can also find 946 more reviews HERE

Have at it! :):)

... the larger suites that are between the regular verandah cabins and the Neptune suites - can't remember what name they use ...
Signature Suites Edited by catl331

I took our daughter on a partial Panama cruise last year on the Zuiderdam and we loved the ship. We were in a Signature suite so it had lots of room for us. I'm sure you'll find reviews more up to date than when we went but I wouldn't hesitate to book the Zuiderdam again.

I took our daughter on a partial Panama cruise last year on the Zuiderdam and we loved the ship. We were in a Signature suite so it had lots of room for us. I'm sure you'll find reviews more up to date than when we went but I wouldn't hesitate to book the Zuiderdam again.

The Signature Suites are a good value IMO (size for price). However, since you are doing a Panama Canal cruise, I would highly recommend one of the aft-wrap Neptunes (deck 5 is my favorite, but they are all great). You get a great view of the locks operation from them plus you get great views from the one side and the rear.

The Signature Suites are a good value IMO (size for price). However, since you are doing a Panama Canal cruise, I would highly recommend one of the aft-wrap Neptunes (deck 5 is my favorite, but they are all great). You get a great view of the locks operation from them plus you get great views from the one side and the rear.

Something to note for OP: if you book a Signature suite you may get an upsell for a Neptune suite. Depending on your budget, Signature suites are roomy for a longer cruise. If you can stretch your budget, a Neptune suite is wonderful.

I really enjoyed my Partial Transit over New Year's on the Zuiderdam. I highly recommend considering an ocean-view cabin on Deck 1 for this itinerary. The experience going through the canal in those low-down cabins is incredible, and something not everyone can have. I was so glad I decided to head down to the cabin for the return trip through the locks. The view from the balcony is nice, but the view from a Deck 1 cabin is truly special.

The ship itself is excellent. The BB King's were fantastic. We were there every night they performed.

My cruise was full-to-capacity, so it was hard to get a deck chair ether by the pool or outside, but that was my only complaint. And unfortunately, there is no real way to predict whether it will be a full sailing or not beforehand. (It was not only that it was a holiday sailing that caused the capacity sailing, I have been on other holiday sailings in the Caribbean/Canal and they were not nearly so full/crowded.)

• 3 weeks later...
Want a balcony, better forward or aft?
When we leave our cabin our first stop is usually someplace to eat, so we prefer the "food end", aft. Also we think there is less motion on the aft end. If you think you'll be spending a lot of time in the spa, gym, Retreat, etc you may want forward. Or compromise on middle!

Thanks everyone, hoping to book this cruise for November 25. Want a balcony, better forward or aft?

My parents had an aft midship balcony and could not use it at all due to the soot. I would never book an aft balcony. I'd book a forward balcony where you can see the bridge. That's my preferred location.

The Zuiderdam is my favorite ship. We've done the partial transit on her twice and it was wonderful. I think the ship is beautiful - very old world Europe in its decor, beautiful paintings, fresh flowers and a Venice theme. For us, the ship is a perfect size. It's so easy to go front to back on the ship without running into walls as you do on many other cruise lines. Having just returned from our first cruise on Princess, we found that the food on HAL is far superior. I think you will thoroughly enjoy this cruise.

Helen

Book starboard side. We had perfect Signature suite 8095. Faces inward to canal both directions. But don't just stay there. Be sure to go all around the ship and different levels. Crows nest, aft Lido deck, they open a normally closed front deck, on 4 or 5 I believe. See great views of raising/lowering locks front and back but you have to move around. Fun watching the other ships pass going other direction. Crews and any passengers out waving and stuff. Mostly cargo ships so they enjoy seeing the cruise ships I guess.

Wonderful cruise. You will enjoy it am sure.

Jane

Also, we did the old canal. Don't know if HAL doing new one or still using the old one.
It is likely that only cruise ships that need the extra width of the new locks will use them, but if demand for the old locks is high at some time when demand for the new is low it may be done. The Caribbean Princess is 12 feet too wide for the old locks. The Disney Wonder went through the new last April because superstructure modifications had made it too high for the old locks. The only HAL ship which needs the new locks right now is the Koningsdam.

An article in USA TODAY said

Other lines that offer canal sailings are unsure about which set of locks their ships will use in the coming years. In response to queries from USA TODAY, spokespeople for Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Oceania Cruises, Crystal Cruises and Silversea Cruises said their vessels would use whichever locks they were assigned by local authorities. A spokesperson for Celebrity Cruises did not respond to a request for information.

Edited by catl331

Considering book a Panama Canal trip on the Zuiderdam. Looking for impressions of the ship. Never been on a HAL cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO Zuiderdam has the best crew on Holland America. We love our sailings on her.

We are going to be in a Neptune Wrap-Around Deck 5 Suite on out Partial Canal trip in November. I am excited that you like it. Ant other experiences/recommendations that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I really enjoyed my Partial Transit over New Year's on the Zuiderdam. I highly recommend considering an ocean-view cabin on Deck 1 for this itinerary. The experience going through the canal in those low-down cabins is incredible, and something not everyone can have. I was so glad I decided to head down to the cabin for the return trip through the locks. The view from the balcony is nice, but the view from a Deck 1 cabin is truly special.

Yes, you can a close up view of the walls of the locks. As someone who lived in a NYC apartment, staring at a concrete wall doesn't excite me.

Yes, you can a close up view of the walls of the locks. As someone who lived in a NYC apartment, staring at a concrete wall doesn't excite me.

Everyone on this board is all "You MUST have a balcony." I wanted to give people an option if they can't afford or don't want a balcony. It's an alternative. No one is forcing anyone to look at concrete walls. Isn't it nice there are choice for people who want something different?

DH and I did the 10-day Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam in Nov. 2016 and had a wonderful time. The ship was in great shape and easy to navigate. We had a Neptune Suite and it was great sitting out on the large balcony during the passage through the locks. There was a woman on board who gave a lecture and her impressions while we went through the locks and it was fascinating. It was broadcast throughout the ship so we could hear it while sitting out on the balcony. The Pinnacle Grill is a must place to go for a special dinner. The HAL crews are exceptional and the food is terrific. You can't go wrong with Holland America!

IMO Zuiderdam has the best crew on Holland America. We love our sailings on her.

Agree! We did our fourth sailing on her a couple of months ago and are sailing her again in August for the Viking Passage. Great Ship, Staff and Crew! (y)

Zuiderdam like other Vista class ships offers one of the best value cabins out there in our opinion - the larger suites that are between the regular verandah cabins and the Neptune suites - can't remember what name they use, but they are our favorite choice. Particularly nice if you have a longer cruise or one with many at-sea days. Very comfortable accommodations. We have taken several cruises on the Zuiderdam - and they have all been enjoybable. Not our favorite ship in the HAL fleet, but very serviceable and with all the very welcome HAL features like great staff, good food and great itineraries. We like the smaller HAL ships first, or if we go larger we like the added features of the Neiuw Amsterdam/Eurodam ships - which include the Tamarind restaurant.

Called the SS suites, our favorite also.

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, jabcruiser said:

Book starboard side. We had perfect Signature suite 8095. Faces inward to canal both directions. But don't just stay there. Be sure to go all around the ship and different levels. Crows nest, aft Lido deck, they open a normally closed front deck, on 4 or 5 I believe. See great views of raising/lowering locks front and back but you have to move around. Fun watching the other ships pass going other direction. Crews and any passengers out waving and stuff. Mostly cargo ships so they enjoy seeing the cruise ships I guess.

Wonderful cruise. You will enjoy it am sure.

Jane

Jane,

Hi, I hope you're still monitoring your old posts. We were just upgraded to Signature Suite 8095 on the Zuiderdam.  YEAH!  :classic_biggrin:We've never had a signature suite before, but after we booked I realized that it's a connecting room.  It's a better location than under the Lido pool where they wanted to put us.  We've had a connecting veranda cabin before and never had any issue with noise and the door was against an empty wall.  In fact on that cruise we had a lot more noise from the cabin on the other side.  I would like to know where the connecting door is?  I've read you could lose a closet.  Not a deal breaker but it will be helpful to know ahead of time.  

Any other info on the cabin will be great since it will be our home for 40 days!

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

You will love the Signature Suite and we had no noise issues at all with the connecting room. The SS are so much roomier than the standard veranda cabins. Plenty of closet and storage room so no concerns there.  Enjoy your trip.  Don't just stay on the veranda though through the canal.  Go forward and aft also for different views. They also open a deck forward, maybe level 4 or 5, very early with coffee and rolls served so try to do that if you can.  Started raining hard so that was kind of a wash out on our trip. Enjoy.

Jane