Zuiderdam or Rotterdam for TA?

sandyss

Which ship do you recommend for a northern crossing. Both have very interesting, but similar, itineraries. Both ships have ports in Iceland and Greenland. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For longer cruises we prefer the smaller HAL ships so I would go with the Rotterdam - still has the good library and Crows Nest spaces. Though they did mess up the Explorer's Lounge a bit. Having more quiet places to enjoy and explore when there are more at sea days is what works for us. Though the Zuiderdam has more entertainment options. Probably can't lose with either. I vastly prefer the more open Rotterdam dining room over the more closed in Zuiderdam dining room. But you get those good SS cabins on the Zuiderdam ......

How do the cabins compare? We are looking at ocean view cabins on both. Although, we might decide on a balcony cabin if we book the Zuiderdam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been on both ships. Our last TA was on the Rotterdam and it was a great cruise.

The cabins are larger on the Rotterdam IMO.

The OV's have a fair bit of room and are well laid out.

If you google Hal cruiser information there are pics where you can get an idea.

The only negative on the Rotterdam is the Retreat area as it does not have a pool there, but the "birdbath" wading pool with chairs in it instead. However the sea views are still great and the Retreat area is actually quite nice. The crew that managed the Retreat bar were wonderful, offering to serve coffees in the morning, waters in the afternoon as well as the regular bar items.

The Zuiderdam was recently updated and looks really great. Staterooms have new large screen interactive TVs. I really liked the Rotterdam several years ago, but I think I would go with the newly refurbished Zuiderdam that just received excellent public health scores.

Re cabin size, we were in an aft with really large balcony and it seemed very spacious on the Zuiderdam. On the Rotterdam we had a vista suite, but seemed similar to a balcony in size to us.

Can you 'splain that one please? What did "they" do to the Explorers Lounge on Rottie? Thanx!

Could be getting my ships mixed up, but on several of our last cruises, they took out the carpeting and lounge seating in the Explorers Lounge and put in some hard flooring and lined up hard backed chairs for "audience" viewing. Been on the Zuiderdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam last year so correct me if I got one of these unfortunate re-dos mixed up with the Rotterdam too.

Could be getting my ships mixed up, but on several of our last cruises, they took out the carpeting and lounge seating in the Explorers Lounge and put in some hard flooring and lined up hard backed chairs for "audience" viewing. Been on the Zuiderdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam last year so correct me if I got one of these unfortunate re-dos mixed up with the Rotterdam too.

Thanks! :)

We were on the Rotterdam in March - May, 2017. The Explorer's Lounge was very comfortable with comfy chairs and still carpeted IIRC.

Rotterdam has a lot of nice ambience with it's art and very comfy chairs on board. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...