Breathing Issues after cruise

yolo87

Has anyone had any issues breathing after taking a cruise? I’ve never had any issues prior and this was my first cruise. I’ve been to the doctor and I don’t have a blood clot and my heart and lungs were good. I just don’t understand how this happened all of a sudden and dr can’t give me a answer. I pray this goes away soon.

Upper respiratory issues are common on cruise ships especially older ones. Think of air being through Ducts for 10 or 15 years continuously.

I have had and my wife has had issues on a couple of older ships especially in the winter season.

Upper respiratory issues are common on cruise ships especially older ones. Think of air being through Ducts for 10 or 15 years continuously.

I have had and my wife has had issues on a couple of older ships especially in the winter season.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better. I was on triumph and it is definitely a older ship.

Well, the EPA has found no proof that HVAC duct cleaning makes the air better, nor that the dust in air ducts affects health. Add to this that the ships use sanitizing pads in the condensate pans of the air handlers to eliminate molds, bacteria and viruses, so the air is clean. The most common cause of upper respiratory illness on ships is the dryness of the conditioned air, which dries out the mucus membranes of the nose, opening a way in for airborne bacteria and viruses. Use of a saline inhaler is recommended for those who get URI's from dry AC air.

Has anyone had any issues breathing after taking a cruise? I’ve never had any issues prior and this was my first cruise. I’ve been to the doctor and I don’t have a blood clot and my heart and lungs were good. I just don’t understand how this happened all of a sudden and dr can’t give me a answer. I pray this goes away soon.

Your lungs "were good?" What does that mean? Did you have X-rays (or, though a possible bit of overkill, a far more useful CT Scan) or did doc just not hear anything on exam?

In any case, travel is hard on anyone's respiratory system. Allergies, bronchitis, even pneumonia are always possibilities.

If symptoms persist, you may want to get back to your doc.

Your lungs "were good?" What does that mean? Did you have X-rays (or, though a possible bit of overkill, a far more useful CT Scan) or did doc just not hear anything on exam?

In any case, travel is hard on anyone's respiratory system. Allergies, bronchitis, even pneumonia are always possibilities.

If symptoms persist, you may want to get back to your doc.

Yes, please do go back to your doctor if it doesn't go away!

Let us know how you're doing!

You could do a forum search or Google for cruise crud. A slang term for upper respiratory infections (usually viral) commonly developed in the latter part or just after a cruise. Since these are primarily spread by airborne particles, it's no wonder it can happen in crowded environments like a cruise ship. And as Chengkp75 pointed out, the dryness of the interior air doesn't help.

You should go back to the doctor.

There are all sorts of causes to this type of issue.

While my wife and I have each had upper respiratory issues on cruises my most severe one was on a business trip (not a cruise) and my wife had one after a stay at a hotel.

In both cases the diagnosis took multiple visits and in both cases took a long time to clear.

Keith

You definitely should go back to see your doctor.

On our last couple of cruises I came down with bronchitis -- a very bad case. Doctor had me get a chest xray and a CT Scan. It took several different medications and nearly 8 weeks before I was well.

Yes we fly to and from the ships but I did not get sick from the planes. I came down with the sickness on day 18 of a 21 day cruise.

Well, the EPA has found no proof that HVAC duct cleaning makes the air better, nor that the dust in air ducts affects health. Add to this that the ships use sanitizing pads in the condensate pans of the air handlers to eliminate molds, bacteria and viruses, so the air is clean. The most common cause of upper respiratory illness on ships is the dryness of the conditioned air, which dries out the mucus membranes of the nose, opening a way in for airborne bacteria and viruses. Use of a saline inhaler is recommended for those who get URI's from dry AC air.

Yeap, duct cleaning is a HUGE scam.

I am not a chief engineer, but a professional in occupational health and safety.