What to Pack?

teacher1977

Will be going on a 25 day Western Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruise next month and am beginning to think about how much clothing we are going to need to pack! We will be in a suite so will have laundry service. For those who have cruised for this length of time what is a good rule of thumb as far as the amount of clothing to pack? Seems like we could have a lot of luggage! Looking for suggestions/advice!

I agree with GUT2407. We are going on a 28 cruise and we have no more than we would take for about 10 days. Actually, that is the underwear count lol

We are not in a suite and I rinse stuff out in the sink or throw it in the bottom of the shower when I'm showering, then rinse out the soap, squeeze dry (or wring in a towel) and hang. Over the years, we have developed a 'travel' wardrobe. The majority of our day clothes are quick dry and/or easy to rinse in a sink. As for evening, I take neutral colored slacks and 3-4 tops. For formal, I take two outfits that I can actually mix and match with each other. (I don't remember what anyone was wearing two days ago and I expect that is the same for most people.)

For shoes, I have a pair of walking shoes, sandals, flip-flops for the cabin/pool and a pair for the evening.

We use one 30 inch suitcase and one carry on each. We also receive laundry service. If it doesn't fit it doesn't go. You will require some layered clothing including a rain jacket shell, sweaters or sweatshirt, things like that. We have been on board as long as 44 days.

I guess that depends on you. What is important to you when you travel. If comfort is a big factor than pack for that. If fashion is your thing pack for that. Most people now seem to pack as little as possible nothing wrong with that. We did a 28 day transatlantic and I packed clothes for 2 weeks worth then did laundry. We are doing a transatlantic in November on the Crown it is 14 days. We will be sending a week in Italy before the cruise. Part of my cruise experience is being able to dress like I like to dress so, I will take more than most people. I dress every night on the cruise not formal but nice. I know people will say you don't have to. That is true, it is part of my enjoyment of my trip. That said, we are elite so we do get the free laundry which is nice. I will pack 7 nights worth of outfits that can be changed with different tops & bottoms plus my formal nights clothes. I take about 8 days of day time outfits. Three pair of dress shoes, 2 pair of tieks, 1 pair of walking shoes, I will be wearing boots on the plane. I have a cross body hand bag & 1 evening bag. All this along with hair products, meds, & other items. I will have 1 large piece of luggage & 1 carryon, with a large tote bag. I don't know if this will help you but it works for me.

We're possibly doing the same cruise as you-23 days on Crown, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. We each take one carryon & 1 personal item. I'll do some laundry on day 15. I'm able to pack 6 outfits. With what I'll be wearing that's 7 changes. Plenty. I don't bring formal wear. 2 of my outfits are dressy enough for formal night. This definitely isn't for everyone, but it works for us. It's been several years since we've checked luggage. As ksm77 wrote, you have to decide what is important to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We did 26-day TA+Med, plus the travel days, with one carry-on suitcase and one not-over-sized daypack apiece. No clothing except spare undies in the daypacks. One pair of walking shoes each, and comfy shoes that still look nice (not formal) on our feet. If we used the pool, I would have to give up something else for slide-on sandals, but we don't.

I did all the laundry in the sink! But would not do that again; it's my vacation too. I would still do the smalls, but would send out the larger garments -- if they can't be dried in a dryer, I would try out the eco-dry-cleaning on board.

I don't require that "everything must go together"; my rule is two tops (and a wrap, sweater, or jacket) for every bottom... but I end up with many more combinations that that! For DH, usually one cardigan and his favorite leather jacket, plus raincoat for each wherever it may be useful.

I don't know where you are from, but it's sure that you will be flying to one or the other end of the cruise, if not both. Baggage checking fees are rising! also, the more you take, the longer it takes to unpack and repack and the more stuff to keep track of. (I know because I broke with my system for a family cruise to Alaska; I checked a bag so that I would have things the group might need, and once I had that 24" bag, sure enough my wardrobe grew! It took FOREVER to unpack!)

We always take longer cruises, so I pack for about 7 days, DW probably a little more.

Regarding free laundry, whether in a suite or "Elite" status, you should be aware that the turnaround time for the laundry can vary. On our last WC, more than 50% of the pax were Elite and the laundry took 3 or 4 days to come back. Never saw next day service.

I too will be on the Crown for 25 days in a few weeks, and will be packing for 10 days, which means my cruise friend and I will each have a carry-on with necessities for the pre-cruise hotel night in Barcelona and whatever we will be wearing for embarkation day, plus things that we must keep with us, such as prescription meds.

We will each also check one bag (25" for me, and I don't know what size she will have). I love my free laundry perk, and take advantage of it for my casual everyday clothes. Unmentionables will be washed in the sink using a few drops of the body wash in the dispenser in the shower, and I always throw in a few pinch type clothespins for hanging them on the line in the shower to dry.

Four formal nights means black dress pants and a few fancy tops and strappy sandals and some shiny jewelry, plus maybe one LBD.

Shoes are my downfall … I love having multiple choices, so bring a minimum of 6-8 pairs of footwear for various purposes. However, all of them are very lightweight, which has become one of my major criteria when buying shoes.

Don't forget, it's still going to be very nice in the Mediterranean at this time of year, so you won't have to worry about packing heavier clothing. And, as you cross the Atlantic, the closer you get to your final destination, the warmer it will be. I usually pack a lightweight jacket or sweater just in case you do have a cool day - it helps if your jacket is suitable in the rain as well, because you never know.

As mentioned previously, pack enough for 7 days and then let the cruise line take care of your laundry. Enjoy your T/A; we're embarking on our 4th next month!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)