Pier Runners

thunter1224

So many flaws in your thinking.

Almost worthless? The going rate on the black market is around $3500

https://www.havocscope.com/average-price-of-stolen-passport-for-sale/

... :)

That data is more than 9 years out of date. In fact it predates the general issuing of biometric US passports by two years. As SRF indicated, biometric passports are not worth very much to a thief.

Besides, unless one plans on selling their passport, (an illegal and unwise act), the document is only worth the cost of replacement.

....However, we don’t need to get into a contest of who can write their name in the snow.

My, what a childish comment to make.

Keeping your passport safe and secure does not mean locking it up in a safe never to see the light of day.

I don’t lock up my DL or credit cards either.. never lost those.

Would it be a pain if something were to happen? Sure it would but the sun will still rise in the east the next morning.

I’ve seen many more people come on this board freaked out because they lost their passport or birth certificate somewhere in the house than have reported that it was stolen while on vacation.

Let's just agree to disagree.

How about you put on your big boy pants and make an attempt at conducting a civil discussion without you immature comments and insulting insinuations, shall we?

Edited by SantaFeFan

The ship MIGHT enter you room, open the safe and give the contents to the port agent to give to you.

"The ship WILL enter your room, open the safe and give the contents to the port agent to give to you."

There, fixed your typo for you.

It is in the best interest of the cruise line to assist as much as possible when a passenger will be left behind. It makes no sense to make their lives more difficult than it will already be. It is called "Customer Service", and it is a much better policy for having them be a return customer than to screw them by not bothering to assist when they could.

I guess in your opinion when officers and cruise directors tell us they will look for your passport, they are all lying?

I am still waiting to hear all these reports of people who have lost or had stolen their passport.

On our Russia stop several years ago, eleven people in a large group visiting the Hermitage had their passports stolen. Mock them all you want. They probably have been through enough that your skepticism will be completely dismissed and ignored.

Ihese days, a stolen passport is almost worthless. They cannot enter the US with it, as when the immigration officer scans it, your picture pops up. And if the picture on the screen does not match the one in the passport and the person presenting the passport, bad things will happen.

If you think a stolen passport will only be used to try to enter the US, you are quite naive. A stolen passport can be used anywhere, and for a lot more reasons than to try to enter the US - such as identity theft, for instance. .

I travel a lot internationally, and typically carry my passport, and never had an issue with it being stolen. I do not wave it around and tell people I am carrying it.

Well, good for you. How superior of you that you don't wave your passport around and tell everyone you are carrying it. Do you seriously think that little of other people to make such insulting comments about their intelligence?

And I have been asked for ID in a few countries, and the US Passport normally stops things right there.

Then you must look suspicious. In over two years worth of travelling abroad, I have never been asked for my "documents". I guess when you don't look like trouble, there is no need to be paranoid about being stopped to show proof of identity.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I understand that if the ship is Gone.. you are screwed. But I see videos where they have pulled back to the dock and allowed to board..

This was a favorite activity in Mazatlan, sitting on the rail waiting for drunks to show up late. Afetr push back, Captain has to get permission to "touch" pier without charge. Seen ship get close and idiot pax jumping three feet onto ship. Have also seen pax paying boat to chase the ship and board in open water. If there is any charge to "re-dock" cruise ship will just leave.

So while we're on this topic....most things I read say don't bring your passport into port; leave it in your safe. They say don't bring more cash or credit cards than you'll need (which is often none). So if you do get left behind, how do you get to the next port?

Another good reason to keep a copy of your pp on you when venturing off the. Ship.

On Carnival cruise line ..

I ignore that advice.

My passport is within reach even when I'm at home. My job sometimes requires me to access areas that require more than 1 form of ID.

When I fly, I have my passport. When I travel overseas, I have my passport,,, unless, the governing authority requires that it be turned into them until my final departure.

So many flaws in your thinking.

Almost worthless? The going rate on the black market is around $3500

https://www.havocscope.com/average-price-of-stolen-passport-for-sale/

Your passport is a good starting point to steal your identity. Why bother going to the trouble of trying to use your passport to travel when it can be used to buy stuff & bill it all to your identity.

You're also talking about US immigration officers and systems - travel elsewhere on a false passport is a lot easier.

And a lot more folk have their passports lost or stolen at ports-of-call than miss their sailings, which is why the cruise director on thunter's link says the same as all cruise lines - when not obliged to take your passport ashore you should leave it in your cabin safe.

Each to what they're most comfortable with, and I know I'm not going to convince you.

But I think others should treat your stance with extreme caution.

JB :)

As has been stated, that info is old.

How do you purchase and bill something to a passport????? It does not have your address. It does not have your social security number.

I keep being told about all these passports being lost or stolen, but have yet to have ONE person on CC that relates to this occurring. Also, I travel a lot internationally. To many places no sane person would go if they had a choice. Never had an issue. None of my colleagues have had an issue. No one in my organization has had an issue that I have heard of.

"The ship WILL enter your room, open the safe and give the contents to the port agent to give to you."

There, fixed your typo for you.

It is in the best interest of the cruise line to assist as much as possible when a passenger will be left behind. It makes no sense to make their lives more difficult than it will already be. It is called "Customer Service", and it is a much better policy for having them be a return customer than to screw them by not bothering to assist when they could.

I guess in your opinion when officers and cruise directors tell us they will look for your passport, they are all lying?

Will, as in EVERY time?

You probably also believe in Santa Claus.

They will TRY to do so, but if they don't where are you?

Also, there is a thread here on CC on a person that got left behind. And had to go to the US Embassy to get an emergency passport.

So WILL is NOT true.

On our Russia stop several years ago, eleven people in a large group visiting the Hermitage had their passports stolen. Mock them all you want. They probably have been through enough that your skepticism will be completely dismissed and ignored.

If you think a stolen passport will only be used to try to enter the US, you are quite naive. A stolen passport can be used anywhere, and for a lot more reasons than to try to enter the US - such as identity theft, for instance. .

Well, good for you. How superior of you that you don't wave your passport around and tell everyone you are carrying it. Do you seriously think that little of other people to make such insulting comments about their intelligence?

Then you must look suspicious. In over two years worth of travelling abroad, I have never been asked for my "documents". I guess when you don't look like trouble, there is no need to be paranoid about being stopped to show proof of identity.

Thank you for that report. First I have heard. But then again, since you HAVE to carry your passport there, people KNEW they had one. Where their cash and credit cards stolen? Were they carried together?

Have you looked at your passport? The film over the picture is a hologram. And the picture is not glued to the page like the old days. VERY hard to change the picture and have it not be noticeable.

And almost every country, checks your passport under UV light (to ensure an unbroken hologram), and they also scan it.

Hard to think of “MANY” other documents of equal value someone might possess.

Aside from something else which proves citizenship, the only such “documents” which come to mind might be stock certificates, winning lottery tickets and the like.

Driver's License - has your address on it.

Credit cards - can be used directly to pay for things.

Birth certificate - proof of citizen ship with no picture.

Will, as in EVERY time?

Also, there is a thread here on CC on a person that got left behind. And had to go to the US Embassy to get an emergency passport.

So WILL is NOT true.

In that thread the person wasn't traveling with a passport in the first place but they were carrying their expired one with them.

If a ship's Captain tells me the staff is going to do something then I'm going to believe him. This type of information has been stated many, many times at Q&A sessions with the ship's staff. So many times in fact that if they failed to retrieve a person's passport from the safe (and they only look in the safe) I would think that the passenger would have a very strong case of negligence in order to recoup any financial damages.

My driver's license would cost me $35 to replace.

My credit card would cost me nothing to replace (and can be cancelled with a phone call).

My birth certificate would cost me $40 to replace (and I don't carry it ashore either).

We get it- carrying your passport is the choice you make but it's the choice you make for your own reasons. Your reasons aren't universal ones.

Will, as in EVERY time?

So WILL is NOT true.

I suppose you also don't believe that they will dock at the port they told you they would? Or that the cruise leaves on the date listed on your ticket? Or that your room number is actually the one they gave you?

I find it quite amusing how you are so distrustful of the cruise lines. If they were so inept as to not be able to follow through on a policy they have put into place, how can you be comfortable with how effectively and safely they can run the rest of the ship?

Will, as in EVERY time?

So WILL is NOT true.

And, to follow up on that thread, it was later revealed that his passport was NOT IN HIS SAFE. The cruise line did what they were supposed to do, but since it wasn't in the safe, they did not retrieve it. Pretty simple, actually.

Thank you for that report. First I have heard. But then again, since you HAVE to carry your passport there, people KNEW they had one. Where their cash and credit cards stolen? Were they carried together?

Have you looked at your passport? The film over the picture is a hologram. And the picture is not glued to the page like the old days. VERY hard to change the picture and have it not be noticeable.

And almost every country, checks your passport under UV light (to ensure an unbroken hologram), and they also scan it.

Nope. Not every country. Most do not, especially those in smaller countries. Sorry, but you are pulling that claim out of the air. And again, a stolen passport is useful in many ways other than to enter a country. Why do you keep ignoring that simple fact? Because it dilutes your MUST HAVE THE PASSPORT nonsense?

We are talking about things of EQUAL value; a lost license can be more easily replaced and is of far less use as identification; credit cards are easy to replace, and cannot be used as ID; a passport is far more useful as proof of citizenship than a birth certificate - which ONLY proves wher you were born - and nothing else,

I didn't bother watching the videos but I have been a several Carnival ships that have pulled back to the pier after leaving. The farthest was about 50 foot amd shortest about 10 ft when the runners showed up. In each case the returning passengers were female. Last cruise, someone caught up in the pilot boat. Also have been aboard waving to sad people still on the dock. It is unpredictable what the ship will do and I have never heard anyone answer what determines what option or why some captains wait an hour and some 5 minutes.

And, to follow up on that thread, it was later revealed that his passport was NOT IN HIS SAFE. The cruise line did what they were supposed to do, but since it wasn't in the safe, they did not retrieve it. Pretty simple, actually.

He had his expired passport with him, he wasn't using a passport for the trip at all. Even if it were in the safe the outcome would have been the same. The ship knows who is using a passport and who is not, so if someone has a passport but doesn't use it to check in (no, I don't really know why someone would do that, but humans can be strange) then it's entirely possible the ship wouldn't even bother looking.

In that thread the person wasn't traveling with a passport in the first place but they were carrying their expired one with them.

If a ship's Captain tells me the staff is going to do something then I'm going to believe him. This type of information has been stated many, many times at Q&A sessions with the ship's staff. So many times in fact that if they failed to retrieve a person's passport from the safe (and they only look in the safe) I would think that the passenger would have a very strong case of negligence in order to recoup any financial damages.

As I stated. There is at least one thread on CC about the passport NOT being given to the passenger.

So, you can keep saying they will ALWAYS do it. Even though, that one instance proves it does not happen ALWAYS.

Yeah, and who would they sue? And in what court?

My driver's license would cost me $35 to replace.

My credit card would cost me nothing to replace (and can be cancelled with a phone call).

My birth certificate would cost me $40 to replace (and I don't carry it ashore either).

We get it- carrying your passport is the choice you make but it's the choice you make for your own reasons. Your reasons aren't universal ones.

I am not talking about the cost to replace.

I am talking about the info or usability to either steal your identity or commit financial fraud with what was stolen.

Oh, and in addition to your name and phone number, most DLs have your birth day and month. As most states, they expire on your birthday.

What personal info does your passport have?