WARNING regarding non-refundable deposits

Cruizen Susan

Maybe some of you know, but I just found this out. Most of our cruises are booked well ahead of time, while we are on the ship. It has always worked out well. Well recently, our cruise friends booked a sailing while they were cruising, for themselves and for us.

Yesterday, I had to contact the TA to cancel that booking, and re-book another sailing. The TA got back to me, stating the booking was non-refundable if cancelled, and even if just changed to another Celebrity ship or date, would be charged $100 per person (which is the same difference--$200!!!)

I let my friend know, and she was not informed that there were two options, one refundable and one not.

This is a first for us with Celebrity, and needless to say, I am not happy, flushing $200 down the toilet. Please be careful when booking, confirm your request, ask questions, and read the fine print!

Just a heads up to be cautious.....

I found that when visiting the Future Cruise department on a recent cruise we had to specify "refundable" during pricing inquiries.

Also, the website pricing seems to default non-refundable until you get to the point to add the "refundable" option.

Seems like it may turn into quite a little money-maker (and piss off many in the meantime).

• Like 2

That's going to happen. Our experience differs (no consistency)...we booked two cruises for 2019 while OB this past week. The celebrity TA quoted us the "refundable" fare and I asked about the non-refundable option. He said I'd save a little, but he doesn't think it's a great deal (unless someone is bottom fishing) so he doesn't even suggest it.

The other gotcha, if you don't know, is that if you book on board, they will automatically assign the booking to the TA who booked you on the current cruise....unless you specifically ask them not to and sign a form. We always sign the form and have Celebrity hold the booking so that we have 60 days in which to find the on-line TA that will give us the best deal when we transfer the booking to them.

Finally, you have to check the offers....many times there are more perks added if you book concierge or above. Having said that, you have to check the fares because if you are booking concierge just for the extra $300 OBC and the fare is more than $150 more pp, then it's not actually a very good deal, right?? The agents don't always mention that or go through the options. We did a complete booking in a 1A cabin without the agent once telling us that if we booked a C3, we would get to pick another perk. (as it worked out, we wanted the larger balcony and the C3 fare was more than what we would have gained).

I'm not sure any of this is really intentional....it just always pay to be an educated buyer.

I found that when visiting the Future Cruise department on a recent cruise we had to specify "refundable" during pricing inquiries.

Also, the website pricing seems to default non-refundable until you get to the point to add the "refundable" option.

Seems like it may turn into quite a little money-maker (and piss off many in the meantime).

Quite a little money-maker indeed!! I would say quite sneaky to default to the non-refundable option!

That's going to happen. Our experience differs (no consistency)...we booked two cruises for 2019 while OB this past week. The celebrity TA quoted us the "refundable" fare and I asked about the non-refundable option. He said I'd save a little, but he doesn't think it's a great deal (unless someone is bottom fishing) so he doesn't even suggest it.

The other gotcha, if you don't know, is that if you book on board, they will automatically assign the booking to the TA who booked you on the current cruise....unless you specifically ask them not to and sign a form. We always sign the form and have Celebrity hold the booking so that we have 60 days in which to find the on-line TA that will give us the best deal when we transfer the booking to them.

Finally, you have to check the offers....many times there are more perks added if you book concierge or above. Having said that, you have to check the fares because if you are booking concierge just for the extra $300 OBC and the fare is more than $150 more pp, then it's not actually a very good deal, right?? The agents don't always mention that or go through the options. We did a complete booking in a 1A cabin without the agent once telling us that if we booked a C3, we would get to pick another perk. (as it worked out, we wanted the larger balcony and the C3 fare was more than what we would have gained).

I'm not sure any of this is really inten tional....it just always pay to be an educated buyer.

Good info, thank you!! I have never had a Celebrity TA tell us about both options, so I assumed it's new. And yes, I always do the math to make sure upgrading to CC to get the extra perks is in our favor. I'm not a big fan of the ship's TA's, but I do it to get the extra $$$. And then transfer to my own TA like you do. I love the way your last two bookings on the ship were with an honest, forthcoming agent!

Cruise lines are becoming more like airlines everyday. The non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is just the first step. Before you know it, they'll charge for every piece of luggage you bring on board. But when they stop serving food, I'm out!

I just booked our next year's cruise on board the Eclipse and asked 3x if our $100 pp deposit was refundable and was assured that it is indeed fully refundable OR transferable to another cruise. Could the class of cabin or passenger status be involved?

Celebrity is now offering two rates on many, if not all cabins....refundable and non-refundable. Your confirmation should indicate which fare was used to book your cabin. Sounds like you have the standard refundable rate which is fully refundable up to final payment date and/or transferable to another celebrity cruise if you prefer.

The agent we booked with on Silhouette used the refundable deposit pricing by default. He said very few people used the non-refundable pricing when booking out a ways (we booked 2 years out), since so much can change in 2 years.

The agent we booked with on Silhouette used the refundable deposit pricing by default. He said very few people used the non-refundable pricing when booking out a ways (we booked 2 years out), since so much can change in 2 years.

Thanks makes perfect sense. Why would anyone in their right mind choose non-refundable booking so far ahead??

You’d hope the onboard future cruise agents would discuss but we’ve found range from excellent with full disclosure to fast book “whatever “attitude. Both were experienced on our recent Eclipse cruise when booking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In our 20 cruises with Celebrity, we've only changed a couple and have never cancelled without rebooking. They on the other hand have cancelled four of our cruises, with three of them being in the past 18 months and one being two weeks before we were to leave home. I think if would be nice if they gave us "free passes" to rebook without penalty for each of those they took from us.

Thanks makes perfect sense. Why would anyone in their right mind choose non-refundable booking so far ahead??

I'm not saying that we would do it, but I can think of two reasons: Because it's cheaper. Because we buy insurance.

• Like 1

Yes we were informed. We booked a cruise 2 years in advance and now are cancelling. Yes a money maker for Celeb. But we have rebooked a diff cruise line, getting a better experience for less. In fact, we are saying goodbye to Celeb for a while. Maybe I will start a new topic.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that we would do it, but I can think of two reasons: Because it's cheaper. Because we buy insurance.

I don't think so. The difference in price is a wash. ($200 increase for refundable). And I don't purchase my insurance until a month or two before the sailing, AFTER final payment. And insurance, with quality medical upgrade costs well over $200.

It sounds like they took the OBC credit immediately for booking a cruise onboard which has made the deposit non-refundable for some time now. If they'd have delayed the OBC until the actual sailing, their deposit would probably have been refundable.

In our 20 cruises with Celebrity, we've only changed a couple and have never cancelled without rebooking. They on the other hand have cancelled four of our cruises, with three of them being in the past 18 months and one being two weeks before we were to leave home. I think if would be nice if they gave us "free passes" to rebook without penalty for each of those they took from us.

I agree with you...but that's my 2 cents worth!!

YIKES - a reason when X started with non-refundable deposits, I always ask for refundable, just in case I have to change or cancel before final payment....

Sorry this happened without knowledge or disclosure to you and your friends.

bon voyage

It sounds like they took the OBC credit immediately for booking a cruise onboard which has made the deposit non-refundable for some time now. If they'd have delayed the OBC until the actual sailing, their deposit would probably have been refundable.

Do you think that's possible?

The agent on the Eclipse in February had the same approach.

All well and good' date=' but they better train their own TA's on the ship to know about this and tell us our options![/quote']

You think the Celebrity employees on the ship (or on the phone) are 'Travel Agents'? Life is going to filled with bad surprises then...