Cruising in December vs June

Lalory77

We are thinking about taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise the 1st week of December out of Miami. I’m just concerned about weather since we normally cruise during the early part of June. Anyone that has cruised during the month of December that can give me some info on weather would be helpful. I read somewhere that December tends to be a “rainy” month in the Caribbean. Thanks for any replies :)

We have never cruised in June but have 10+ December cruises this far. We prefer to cruise in December over the summer as it is hot at home (in the Midwest) while it is cool and possibly even snowing in December. Sure we have had a rain day or 2 along the way but no where near a complete “rain out” and when it does rain there are still plenty of things to do onboard.

We are thinking about taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise the 1st week of December out of Miami. I’m just concerned about weather since we normally cruise during the early part of June. Anyone that has cruised during the month of December that can give me some info on weather would be helpful. I read somewhere that December tends to be a “rainy” month in the Caribbean. Thanks for any replies :)

Hi

Great time of year to travel to the Caribbean, better prices as well.

December is more comfortable.

I absolutely hate cruising in the Caribbean during the summer. Humid and oppressively hot. We much more prefer to sail in the Fall or Winter when it’s still hot but comfortable.

We sailed over Thanksgiving in 2017 and we couldn’t ask for better weather. Clear skies most of the time, temperatures in the 80’s and the water temperature was absolutely fantastic and perfect (at least in Grand Cayman in Cozumel). We snorkeled a shipwreck in Grand Cayman and I could’ve stayed in the water indefinitely. It was blissful.

The water in the Bahamas may be a bit cold at that time of year though. On that same cruise we visited Castaway Cay and the water temperature was not pleasant. Like jumping in a cold pool. We did it, but it was uncomfortably chilly, although the air temperature was very nice.

With that in mind, I would definitely chose December over June, but I’d make sure to take an itinerary that sails farther south to ensure comfortable water temperatures, and I’d stay away from the Bahamas unless I’m not planning any water activities.

We also sailed last July (Cuba and the Bahamas) and, while we had a fantastic time, we felt like we were melting. We took an early morning tour around Havana in a convertible car and by 10am, we were drenched in sweat, cursing the heat. We went in July because we were part of a large family group, but otherwise I would’ve never chosen those dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is NOT the rainy season in the Caribbean in December (or January or February). In early December the prices are about as low as one will see. It is festive to see the cruise ships as they have been decorated for all the December holiday times.

Go ahead - book that cruise!!

Jim

Define what cold is to you!

If you’re sailing from any port in the US mainland, the first day or so may be cold during winter months. Even sailing from Miami/Ft Lauderdale there are times when a cold front moves through and you get a few days in the 50’s.

We took a Bahamas cruise one December (from Jacksonville) and when we boarded, the temperature was 35. When we arrived in Nassau, temperatures were in the 50’s and the warmer it ever got was around 65 in Key West. A lot of people didn’t come prepared for the chilly temperatures based on the large amount of “I love The Bahamas” hoodies and sweatshirts that I saw onboard after our stop in Nassau [emoji23].

As mentioned before, sailing during winter is wonderful, but not going farther south than the Bahamas can definitely mean some chilly days, so I think that the jacket suggestion is warranted.

We almost always cruise in early December--probably 24 or more cruises during that time.

We cruise then because it is one of the more affordable times to cruise, it's already cold here, and one of the big reasons we cruise is to escape winter, and really don't want to cruise during our summer, when our weather is beautiful.

Of course weather can vary, but it is usually warm and lovely. Sometimes there is a little rain, but we have never experienced a whole day of rain; most days are sunny and sometimes hot. I can't imagine how hot it must be in summer. Also fewer kids.

Water temperature is fine; I think it may be cooler in the Bahamas, but we prefer not to go there anyway. The only cool days we have had is the one time we cruised from Galveston (in December); the first and last days at sea were pretty cool.

December is our favorite month to cruise. Outside of Christmas/New Years of course. It’s cheaper, not many kids, and IMO the weather is great. You couldn’t pay me to cruise in June. Waaaaay too hot and too many kids. A lot of it depends on your frame of reference though, coming from the mid west, we leave 20-30 degrees and snow for 60-80 degrees and sunny. It’s plenty warm enough for me to sunbathe and swim. If you live in a southern state you may find it chilly.

Weather in Caribbean does not vary that much maybe ten degrees , we cruise week after thanksgiving almost every year so cruise starts in November and ends in December. Normally can get great rates that first week have a great cruise. Left from Miami last year.

Go further south into the Caribbean and you will find beach weather all the time

When you are anywhere in the Caribbean, it is “beach weather” year round - you don’t have to go further south - the seasonal temperature fluctuation is just a couple of degrees. People who say it can be chilly are thinking Bahamas, or someplace else.

The temps in the Caribbean don't fluctuate much more than about 5 - 7 degrees year round. 80 degrees or 85 degrees, still pretty nice as far as I'm concerned, and typically its not the rainy season. . With folks being somewhat preoccupied with the holidays, some of the best prices on cruises are from around Thanksgiving to up to just before a Christmas cruise. Being from the northeast, we prefer a winter cruise to the Caribbean, but if you just can't get away other than in the summer...that's when you have cruise.

The temps in the Caribbean don't fluctuate much more than about 5 - 7 degrees year round. 80 degrees or 85 degrees, still pretty nice as far as I'm concerned, and typically its not the rainy season. . With folks being somewhat preoccupied with the holidays, some of the best prices on cruises are from around Thanksgiving to up to just before a Christmas cruise. Being from the northeast, we prefer a winter cruise to the Caribbean, but if you just can't get away other than in the summer...that's when you have cruise.

So then do you think the issue is the humidity? I have heard folks cruising in the summer say how hot and awful it was waiting anywhere outside in the sun. We didn’t find this to be the case in Nov or Feb.

So then do you think the issue is the humidity? I have heard folks cruising in the summer say how hot and awful it was waiting anywhere outside in the sun. We didn’t find this to be the case in Nov or Feb.

I know that people like to say that it’s “only a few degree” difference between summer and winter in the Caribbean. But that difference is enough to go from comfortable to oppressive.

I grew up in the Caribbean, and one thing that is different is not so much the day time temperatures but the night time and early morning temperatures. During the summer, it’s hot day AND night. Sleeping at night without air conditioning sucks because it’s hot and sticky. There’s NO escaping it. At 8am it feels like it’s already 2pm.

During the winter months, we’d catch a break. Daytime temperatures would be in the 80’s but then at night they’d drop in the 70’s and 60’s (up in the mountains we’d get an occasional reading in the 50’s). The early hours of the morning would be blissful with cooler temperatures that would gradually climb into the 80’s but rarely over 90.

Water temperature is warm all year long, but during the summer months, it would almost feel too warm to enjoy. We used to say that it felt like bath water, which isn’t that great when the air temperature is 95 degrees. We’d go in the water to get wet more than to cool off. It simply didn’t feel as refreshing as during the winter months when you can actually go in the water and feel the comparatively cooler and almost perfect temperature.

Edited by Tapi

If you’re sailing from any port in the US mainland, the first day or so may be cold during winter months. Even sailing from Miami/Ft Lauderdale there are times when a cold front moves through and you get a few days in the 50’s.

We took a Bahamas cruise one December (from Jacksonville) and when we boarded, the temperature was 35. When we arrived in Nassau, temperatures were in the 50’s and the warmer it ever got was around 65 in Key West. A lot of people didn’t come prepared for the chilly temperatures based on the large amount of “I love The Bahamas” hoodies and sweatshirts that I saw onboard after our stop in Nassau [emoji23].

As mentioned before, sailing during winter is wonderful, but not going farther south than the Bahamas can definitely mean some chilly days, so I think that the jacket suggestion is warranted.

True - the departure ports would be subject to that area's December weather. But any port of call in the Caribbean from a FL port is only a day until the warmer climates. Typically by the day after departure the weather is fine.

Your example regarding the Jacksonville departure itinerary really is not relevant to the question raised by the OP as the Bahamas, being just of the coast of FL, are nowhere near the Caribbean and are subject to FL and Gulf Stream weather patterns.

Your example regarding the Jacksonville departure itinerary really is not relevant to the question raised by the OP.

The portion about Jacksonville may be irrelevant, but I think that the jacket advice is still warranted, even when sailing from Miami/Ft Lauderdale.

The portion about Jacksonville may be irrelevant, but I think that the jacket advice is still warranted, even when sailing from Miami/Ft Lauderdale.

According to the Accuweather website, the typical Miami December temperatures are 76 degrees F to 69 degrees F. So, yes, perhaps for the first / last day, but not likely while in the Caribbean.

Edited by leaveitallbehind