Apex to sail from Southampton

little britain

I fully expect that I will need to sell a kidney..... given their recent pricing strategy!

If you are referring to new ships with first year sailing itineraries at higher prices than other ships in the fleet, that is a very common practice among most mass market cruise lines.

Almost every newly launched ship has premium pricing on their early itineraries - not just Celebrity. But they fade over time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would add that the Silhouette will still sail from Southampton. It will be the first time that Celebrity will operate from UK’s favourite port, Southampton.

Celebrity have sailed from Southampton for years... perhaps you mean this is the first time they will have 2 ships in Southampton..?

Celebrity have sailed from Southampton for years... perhaps you mean this is the first time they will have 2 ships in Southampton..?

Very nicely put instead of jumping on the poor poster for a slight error on what they meant.

We’ve loved cruising out of Southampton. Stayed a few days prior in a B&B and enjoyed around Southampton, then on another cruise stayed 3 days in Winchester just north and loved it. Made an X cruise out of Harwich one time and that was also fun to explore and train around the area. Love it when the Lines use different departure ports so we can explore more.

Den

I would imagine that like the Edge, she will predominantly be sailing cruises of 7 days or shorter. From the UK, this will probably mean that it will be sailing the Fjords and possibly Iberian Peninsula. With P&O's Iona also sailing in 2020 from Southampton to the Fjords, hopefully this may be the competition needed to keep pricing sane

Think I'll stick with my Edge cruise this December. Much prefer to fly than drive to Southampton via the M25.

Our sail aways from there are a bit of an anti climax too with the rubbish British weather.

When I go on holiday I want to get away from Britain; not take it with me.

If they are only doing 7days that`ll be restrictive in destination choice. Even if they travel to Canary Islands...I couldn`t bear it...2 days down, 2 days up...never seen Vigo in the sunshine...

Traveling 450 miles from Scotland for 7 days ...nah...forget it

Overall, I find it better value flying to Miami and sailing from there.

If they are only doing 7days that`ll be restrictive in destination choice. Even if they travel to Canary Islands...I couldn`t bear it...2 days down, 2 days up...never seen Vigo in the sunshine...

Traveling 450 miles from Scotland for 7 days ...nah...forget it.

And full of Brits...nah... I’d forget it too :eek: :evilsmile: :D. Much prefer joining the ship in the nice weather with an international mix :cool:.

And full of Brits...nah... I’d forget it too :eek: :evilsmile: :D. Much prefer joining the ship in the nice weather with an international mix :cool:.

I really tried to avoid saying that myself.

I`ve sailed 4 times from Southampton with Celebrity, RC and recently Azamara....The "Brits" tend to moan, criticise and shuffle.

On my Azamara cruise, they clapped when the D.J.turned the music down ...It was a Disco !!! (with 10 dancers).

Celebrity, with their new ships , are attempting to expose themselves to more people, hence the shorter cruises.

Their target audience now appears to be a younger clientel who, in many cases , can`t afford to or have no inclination to take 14 days off work .

Older folks tend not to spend much once onboard on longer cruises.Hence the "exposure" of 7 day cruises. More folk up the gangway.

So, I think Celebrity could be hard pushed to fill their ships at the going rates with the current Southampton client group.

I have a feeling they are sailing Apex in Europe because there is overcapacity in the Caribbean.

They ordered the building without reckoning on newcomers like MSC and P&O both based there. Very shortsighted.

We made a big mistake returning to P&O after a ten year gap. Constant moaning from the coffin dodgers on board.

We made a big mistake returning to P&O after a ten year gap. Constant moaning from the coffin dodgers on board.

Must stop reading funny posts when drinking my morning coffee!! Just spilt it again.

We also usually fly to cruise generally adding in some sort of land tour too. We did, however, do two cruises from Southampton last year as I was unable to fly. Generally we must have been luckier than most of you as fellow guests were generally pleasant!

One exception, however, was a couple we (unfortunately) bumped into in Michael’s Club who did nothing but complain ‘it’s not as good as Cunard.....’ . We avoided them all cruise until waiting to disembark where they told us they had booked another cruise on Celebrity! I couldn’t help but ask why when they preferred Cunard....The response was it was ‘better value for the money’. I can imagine them on their next Cunard cruise telling fellow guests who do not escape quickly enough that ‘it’s not as good as Celebrity.....’!

We have never sailed with P & O, we were tempted by an itinerary this year. Looked up the ship on YouTube.... and we stumbled up a thing called "The Great British Sailaway! I watched as my wife stared at the screen mouth wide open, she turned to me and said "is that a special Brexit themed cruise?" when i told here I think they do that on every cruise the decision was quickly made.; We have just booked with Celebrity!

We have never sailed with P & O, we were tempted by an itinerary this year. Looked up the ship on YouTube.... and we stumbled up a thing called "The Great British Sailaway! I watched as my wife stared at the screen mouth wide open, she turned to me and said "is that a special Brexit themed cruise?" when i told here I think they do that on every cruise the decision was quickly made.; We have just booked with Celebrity!

Exactly what makes us proud to be British, I love doing the Sailaway at least once in our cruise. If you do not like having fun and feeling proud then you can go elsewhere on the ship and not hear a sound from it. I do agree with an earlier poster though that P&O is full of miserable old moaners but I generally put them in their place. I have met some lovely people on the ships, but do prefer people from different countries as travelled the World as a youngster. You are trying to get away from the UK so why would you always want to mix with the Brits when on holiday?

LOL Hope we won't need a visa to join!