Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

This new Flu shot is suppose to be more effective than last year !

For those over 65 there is a new shingles shot that is 90%+ effective, but it is in very short supply and a waiting list at most places.

Also, all you grandparents that like to hug the little ones, and tell them you love them.... great.... just don't give them some disease please!!!:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

This new Flu shot is suppose to be more effective than last year !

For those over 65 there is a new shingles shot that is 90%+ effective, but it is in very short supply and a waiting list at most places.

Also, all you grandparents that like to hug the little ones, and tell them you love them.... great.... just don't give them some disease please!!!:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

What diseases are transmitted by hugging and telling people you love them?

The RSV virus is highly contagious and very serious especially for babies and young ones. Sometimes a simple hug and kiss can pass it on.

Also the flu is very contagious as we all know...

Always get the flu shot but my MD tells me not to get it too soon because it won't be as effective when the flu is at it's peak time. Check with your MD to see when is the right time for you. My MD usually starts mid October. We wait until the end of Oct. ALSO since we are older we had the Prevnar pneumonia shot as well. I had mild pneumonia two years ago and I thought I was done for, over 104 temp, so my MD didn't have to ask my twice to get the shot.

I think OP means shortage on the shingles vaccine

Ahaha. I think you likely are correct. I've had two diferrent shingles. vaccines.

My Dpt is current.

I clalled my doctor's office today and they don't have their flu shot clinic starting yet.

Always get the flu shot but my MD tells me not to get it too soon because it won't be as effective when the flu is at it's peak time. Check with your MD to see when is the right time for you. My MD usually starts mid October. We wait until the end of Oct. ALSO since we are older we had the Prevnar pneumonia shot as well. I had mild pneumonia two years ago and I thought I was done for, over 104 temp, so my MD didn't have to ask my twice to get the shot.

Well, it isn't too early to get the shot, it will not "expire" or be less effective later. I personally know the infectious disease doctor in this story, but if you don't want to read the entire link here is what he says- Despite some misleading articles out there, if you get the flu shot early in the season, your protection will not run out before flu season ends. "The articles that suggest there are breakthrough cases late in the season usually are related to the fact the flu virus has changed throughout the season and new ones emerge," said Dr. Conway. "So when people get diseases later in the season, it's usually not that the vaccine is failing: it's that the viruses are changing."

Link to the story: https://www.channel3000.com/news/how-bad-will-this-year-s-flu-be-should-your-kids-get-the-flu-mist-how-long-will-the-vaccine-last-/793786958

Herd immunity is real, and if you don't think it is look at the two flights full of the flu that just arrived from Egypt in the last few weeks and the increase in measles in the US https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/16/measles-outbreak-may-surpass-last-year/1006273002/

I am one who is required for work to get the flu shot (I don't see or work with patients, but it is still required) and clinics start Sept. 20.

I know my daughter's OB and my own physician told us to make sure we got an updated Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) vaccine before our first grandchild was born. See this from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downloads/matte-grandparents.pdf.

I am only in my 50s and my doc told me to get the flu shot as soon as i can get in. He says better early than too late.

As far as the shingles shot: it is called Shingrix and it is 2 shots anywhere from 2 - 6 months apart. It is also advised for anyone over 50. So i am going to be getting that too. We have a friend that has shingles on his face. OUCH!

We target between Halloween and (US) Thanksgiving for our flu shot. There is some concern that flu immunity in older folks might begin to wear off after about four months.

The CDC says it's worse not to get the shot at all than to get it too early, so they'll never advise waiting to get the shot.

We just pick a time and go to Minute Clinic.

We got the new flu shots last week in preparation for our cruise early October. They had just come in, so we took advantage of it. We usually wait a bit longer, but didn't want to cruise without it. We got the shingles shots earlier this year. We almost couldn't get the second one due to the shortage, but the pharmacist called us and put us on a list for when some came in, we could get them. Unfortunately the pharmacist couldn't put himself on the list for the second shot (customers first), so he had to start all over.

My husband and I got our flu shot last week...we're flying to London in 11 days before our cruise and didn't want to take any chances....especially since the flights into NY and Philadelphia arrived with passengers with the flu.

With regard to shingles...I had that a few years back...very painful..get those shots, people! I've since gotten the shingles shot to hopefully prevent it from happening again!

I am only in my 50s and my doc told me to get the flu shot as soon as i can get in. He says better early than too late.

As far as the shingles shot: it is called Shingrix and it is 2 shots anywhere from 2 - 6 months apart. It is also advised for anyone over 50. So i am going to be getting that too. We have a friend that has shingles on his face. OUCH!

All ages should get the flu shot. The flu will take out a 20 something as easy as a 60 yr old.

All ages should get the flu shot. The flu will take out a 20 something as easy as a 60 yr old.

Getting mine next week. According to the CDC, about 56,000 people died from flu last year in the US alone. Most of these were preventable. The estimate is that 80% of the fatalities did not get the vaccine.