Go with Gus

hon2u

Hmm. I think you should try again. From reading this forum it seems the internet does not always work in Guatamala.

Read this post:

I am taking this tour in December. I got a little spooked when I noticed everyone looking for Gus........so I emailed him. He responded within a few hours. This is his response.........

The electricity is pretty bad and sometimes I don´t receive the email inquiries. If you have a chance, please answer one of the question from cruisecritic, let everyone know that I have replied to you and that Go With Gus is getting ready for the next Cruise Season.

Just FYI the email address I used was eldelfin@turcios.com

I hope you hear from him. I also used another email that he responded to. I will have to see if I can find that. But I think he prefers the one above.

Yes, you can book on the pier. I booked with him and sent the deposit because I wanted him to be our guide! He said he will only guarantee that he will be our guide if we prepay our deposit. He is very well known and is respected in Guatemala. It's up to you. I read so many great things about his tour and nothing negative so I know he will take good care of us.

I wanted to make sure I was reserved on this tour because I really wanted to do it. I figured, if you wait to book at the pier they may be booked up and may miss this opportunity. At least now, I know I am booked and will have Gus for our guide and not anyone else. But I am a planner and like to have all my "ducks in a row" so I can sit back and relax on my cruise.

Hope that helps. Just my opinion. You do what you feel is best for you.;)

I heard back from him, he wants a 50% deposit by check or money order, I don't like that. other tour operators take 20% or so by credit card. can I get him on the pier ?

I felt the same way - didn't want to put ANY money down & wanted to leave our options open in case we changed our minds. So we did that ... waited until we got to the pier. He was there & had space & so we paid at the pier. I think you'd be safe to take that risk, especially if you get off early & go straight to his booth; they don't leave right away. We didn't hurry to get off & even hestitated once we were there, but we still got on his tour.

But there really aren't any guarantees he will personally be your guide. When we were there, there were 2 of his boats doing the Humanitarian Tour. He was on our boat & the other, smaller boat was behind us. We stopped in the same places so, yes, he was speaking to all of us at those times. He also had the other boat pull up next to ours so they could hear what he was saying a couple of times. But he might not be on your actual boat.

To the poster who is going at Christmas, the schools will not be open. School was closed already for holidays when we were there in early December (not with Gus), but there were students around, mostly working off their tuition fees by doing maintenance on the school. Worth it anyways, believe me.

• 2 weeks later...

Gus is a SUPER guy! He and his wife make you feel like an old friend coming back for a visit. DW and I toured with him this past April and it is one of our favorite memories. The country is beautiful and the people were warm and welcoming everywhere we went. The visit to the school was beyond words. We enjoyed every minute of it, the boat ride up the coast to Livingston, going to the school and meeting the kids, riding upriver to see local homes, a hot spring, and a cave. The meal we had after returning to Livingston was great along with a nice view of the harbor area, a local band performing for us and finally walking through Livingston's streets and seeing the town was a true joy. You can feel completely safe with Gus, both in regards to the tour and with respect to any deposit you are required to put down. In my book Gus is what a tour operator should be!

I sent an email to his hotel a couple of weeks ago to see what they charge to stay there. We were thinking about staying there for vacation. We really loved it there. We also dive and it is not far to go to Belize to dive. But we have not heard anything back yet. I guess I will try again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We were on the Colonial Antiqua tour with Gus last week 1/11/10. I sent the 50% deposit in advance to have Gus as our guide. He sent back ID stickers and a receipt. Gus was at the pier as promised. Our cruise critic group ended up with 16 people on the tour. Gus was a wonderful host and guide. We all loved our day in Guatemala. The lunch that was included was wonderful as well. Gus ordered a wide variety of foods and drinks and sat with us during lunch. He explained what everything was. We went to so many places including, the jade factory, macadamia farm, coffee plantation, a beautiful old church, and scenic Antiqua. I would not hesitate to book with Gus again or send the deposit.

We felt completely safe on Gus's tour. We were able to leave are belongings in the van at the different stops as the driver was always with the vehicle.

I have not had a problem with Gus answering my emails, but I understand internet in Guatemala is iffy. If an email gets bounced back it is possible that one digit in the email address is wrong or left out. I got a bounce back once but it was my fault for skipping a letter in Gus's email address. Also, one person on the tour was unable to reach Gus by email (I am not sure what the problem was), so I contacted Gus for him and then everything was fine.

If anyone has a question, let me know.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I have been trying to connect with Gus for a while now. We will be in Guatemala for ten hours (!) on April 29, on a Holland America Panama Canal cruise. We'd love to do the Humanitarian Tour, but I can't seem to connect with Gus. I've tried all the email addresses that I could find, as well as his website. Any other ideas? Alternatively, any other suggestions for that sort of tour? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carol

• 2 months later...

We "tried" to use Gus in Puerto Quetzal, but my reservation somehow got lost. I e-mailed Gus and set up the tour to Antigua. He confirmed my reservation and I sent my deposit in a few weeks in advance. When we arrived--the people at his stand didn't have me listed that day.

I had my e-mail confirmation, but confusion ensued. They ended up putting my group of four with a taxi driver and sending us on our way. I was nervous given everything I had read about the traffic and crime in Guatemala. However, it turned out great. Our taxi/guide Hugo was great, and it was nice to have a small group.

Hugo drove us to a coffee plantation for a quick intro to coffee, then we had a more in depth tour at a macadamia nut farm (with samples and mac nut oil massages). Then we stopped in Santiago for Mayan crafts on our way to Antigua. Hugo gave a lot of history and information along the way and in Antigua. We had a great lunch too.

And traffic was not an issue at all. I meant to get Hugo's contact info, but didn't. However, I do highly recommend him if you can track him down through Gus or otherwise.

Otherwise, recommend you confirm your trip with Gus just before you travel to make sure you're on the list. Although we had a great tour, I felt we had paid a premium for Gus and didn't get what we paid for. So a little disappointed.

We "tried" to use Gus in Puerto Quetzal, but my reservation somehow got lost. I e-mailed Gus and set up the tour to Antigua. He confirmed my reservation and I sent my deposit in a few weeks in advance. When we arrived--the people at his stand didn't have me listed that day.

I had my e-mail confirmation, but confusion ensued. They ended up putting my group of four with a taxi driver and sending us on our way. I was nervous given everything I had read about the traffic and crime in Guatemala. However, it turned out great. Our taxi/guide Hugo was great, and it was nice to have a small group.

Hugo drove us to a coffee plantation for a quick intro to coffee, then we had a more in depth tour at a macadamia nut farm (with samples and mac nut oil massages). Then we stopped in Santiago for Mayan crafts on our way to Antigua. Hugo gave a lot of history and information along the way and in Antigua. We had a great lunch too.

And traffic was not an issue at all. I meant to get Hugo's contact info, but didn't. However, I do highly recommend him if you can track him down through Gus or otherwise.

Otherwise, recommend you confirm your trip with Gus just before you travel to make sure you're on the list. Although we had a great tour, I felt we had paid a premium for Gus and didn't get what we paid for. So a little disappointed.

I emailed Gus last week but did not receive any response. I am looking for options for doing the Humanitarian excursion in Santo Tomas. Since he is not being responsive does anyone have any recommendations for another guide?

Edited by donnasworld

I emailed Gus last week but did not receive any response. I am looking for options for doing the Humanitarian excursion in Santo Tomas. Since he is not being responsive does anyone have any recommendations for another guide?

I got a very nice response from Gustavo and booked the Humanitarian excursion while visiting Santo Tomas on January 21st. I believe the price was $99 with a 50% deposit payable by check or money order and submitted to an address in Georgia. There are no discounts for having a larger group but Gustavo indicated that he provides 35% of the proceeds as a donation to the community we will be visiting. That sounds wonderful to me.

• 1 month later...
I got a very nice response from Gustavo and booked the Humanitarian excursion while visiting Santo Tomas on January 21st. I believe the price was $99 with a 50% deposit payable by check or money order and submitted to an address in Georgia. There are no discounts for having a larger group but Gustavo indicated that he provides 35% of the proceeds as a donation to the community we will be visiting. That sounds wonderful to me.[/quote

So, how was your excursion? Would you recommend Gus? thanks!

• 1 month later...
I got a very nice response from Gustavo and booked the Humanitarian excursion while visiting Santo Tomas on January 21st. I believe the price was $99 with a 50% deposit payable by check or money order and submitted to an address in Georgia. There are no discounts for having a larger group but Gustavo indicated that he provides 35% of the proceeds as a donation to the community we will be visiting. That sounds wonderful to me.[/quote

So, how was your excursion? Would you recommend Gus? thanks!

Cinder Again,

Sorry for not responding earlier. Very busy with work. I looked at my post and understand your confusion. I should have made it clear that the excursion is booked for 2015.

• 1 year later...

Good morning everybody,

Wondering if there is anybody out there that is also joining Gus on May 13 in Guatamala for his Livingston/School Children tour? We will be coming off the NCL Dawn coming into port that morning. Love to know if there are others joining us.

Edited by pennyndoug