Live (Fake News!) Review of Liberty of the Seas from Galveston March 4-11

SECOND - For those who know and love Rsharp87 reviews, like we do, we are sailing Harmony with them again!!

When are you on Harmony. We just booked it for March 10 2019

Oh bummer, we are not on till June! Keep her warm for us! Write a great review!

Pre Cruise and Embarkation Galveston

Flying In: We arrived at Hobby Airport on Saturday, about 45 minutes from Galveston Island, found Uber at zone 5 after getting out of baggage claim on the lower level. Be sure to download the app and attach your cc to the app before you get there, unlike taxis, you have to hail the ride from the app. Another tip is is if you have more than 2 people and more than 4 pieces of luggage, you should order uber XL. We saw two couples get rejected by an uber driver because their 8 bags would not fit in his car. They then had to wait for an XL car to come. Our Uber XL from Hobby to Seawall Blvd was 96.56. I know there are a variety of shuttles and limo services. We didn’t look into those, but most I read about appeared to be in the over $100 range, so if you have the Uber app, you’ll probably do better than a shared shuttle and certainly better than a private car service. The ride to Galveston from Hobby is an easy ride down the highway, and over the bridge, we've heard that the trip from Houston is trickier since you have to contend with Houston city traffic, where Hobby is outside the city to the south.

Driving In: Most of the folks we met drove into port, there are lots of parking options, and I don't think it's terribly expensive compared to Miami or NJ! I'm not your gal for this info, so check the CC boards for the best deals, easiest in and out!

167129808.jpg

Galveston Island from Liberty. Harbor House is the hotel closest to the pier, The Seawall area is on the other side of the island

Pre Stay Hotels: We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott on Seawall Blvd. Its attached to a Spring Hill, which was a good choice for families with larger suites and mini kitchens. they had a Starbucks with breakfast sandwiches and yogurt and fruit and pastry, but there wasn't much else to eat nearby.

It’s not located close to attractions on Seawall Blvd, such at the pleasure pier and restaurants or shops, but you could walk (about 2/3 of a mile) to the fishing pier. Fortunately, if you aren’t in a hurry, and don’t mind waiting a few minutes for it to finish someone else’s trip, the Marriott offers a free shuttle you can take to your destination and then call for a pick up later. We never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for the hotel shuttle, except once when it went to the airport and then we took an uber.

We looked into hotels closer to the Strand or closer to the pleasure pier attractions on Seawall, but most required a 2 night minimum on the weekends, so that didn’t work for our Saturday night arrival and Sunday Liberty departure.

GALVESTON SEAWALL

While we were visiting the weather was poor, cool and a threatening to rain, but we managed to enjoy the area. After checking into our hotel, we took an Uber to Salsa’s on the recommendation of the driver who told us that’s where the locals go for Mexican. She wished us well, and said she hoped she DIDN'T see us Saturday night on her regulate job - as Galveston Island police officer! We assured her we would likely be in bed, not in trouble!

167129797.jpg

font><font face=&quot>.jpg

Pleasure Pier on the Seawall

After eating at Salsa's, we walked a block to the bike shop, where we rented a surrey with the fringe on top. The man working at the bike shop was a real character, and after strapping together the surrey with a bungy cord, we were on our way!

167129798.jpg

Other than the beach, some honky tonk shops, and fun family restaurants, the big attraction is the Pleasure Pier, a Victorian throwback amusement park that’s been completely rebuilt. The private concern that rebuilt it charges an entrance fee, but there is one small ride for sale a la carte if you don’t want to splurge on an all access pass.

After about an hour onthe boardwalk, we needed a nap and to get ready for dinner at Gaido’s a localfish restaurant that is a local institution. Started in 1911, owned by the samefamily, they serve up delicious fresh seafood to generations of localscelebrating special occasions and visitors.

167129803.jpg

EMBARKATION

167129811.jpg

On embarkation day, the Marriott offers a shuttle for $40 per room for the shuttle to port. You need to book in advance and they schedule them on the half hour, so be sure to inquire right away, if you want that option. Our private uber XL to the pier was $23.35 for both of us, a regular Uber may have been even less. We went to the pier early, around 9:30 AM because we had some research to do at the pier. I’d imagine as it gets later, with more traffic and more people arriving, uber prices would increase.

We arrived at port (RC is at pier 2) just before 10 AM, and found a spot in the terminal building to drop our bags with the porters. The porters were not yet at the curb for arriving guests since they were assisting departing guests, but there is a place to drop luggage clearly labeled at pier 2 “Luggage Drop”. After dropping luggage we made our way to the “check in” entrance, through security (the line was very short at that hour) and up the escalator to the check in personnel, where we signed our health declaration, had our photos taken and got our sea pass cards.

We were given a mission, several actually, by friends before we left. It was "This is your mission, you have no choice but to accept it!"

We had 3 missions on this pre cruise (once you become a travel blogger people line up to ask you to do research for them...our missions were eclectic, but focused!

1. Find if Cruise Stop offers Coke Zero (our recon says no, but the friendly cashiers said call 2 weeks ahead of your cruise and they will stock it for you!)
  2. Find out if one could order a cake from a bakery in Grand Cayman and bring it back on board (or recon says, big no, no! A clearly marked sign says no food or drink allowed back on board...unless it’s one of the ever popular rum cakes so,d everywhere that are sealed in the box. )
  3. Find out what there is to do on Galveston Island for a young family.

?type=3

We also wanted to buy some bottled water and research Cruise Stop as a luggage storage options when we disembarked, this is a small convenience store just one block from the pier. Walk under the elevated pedestrian pier and you will follow that road one block till you see the windows with “Cruise Stop” written on them, it’s up the stairs on that corner. Here are the things Cruise Stop offers:

• a variety of water, soda and wine to buy to take on board
  • a small grocery with snacks and last minute toiletries
  • an authentic buffet that changes daily with with hometown favorite specialties of crews on board from Asia. The crew seemed to be welcome to use Wi-Fi and hang on the stairs.
  • friendly cashiers who will check your luggage after your cruise if you have time to kill and want to wander on the Strand after disembarkation.

167131185.jpg

Umm, these won't fit in the bag!

While researching, we bought ourselves a case of sealed up water bottles, which only after purchase did we realize would not fit in the bag we brought with us to check it on board. So we opened the shrink wrapping (knowing we were decreasing our chances of getting it on board) filled the bag with what we could and there I was like a homeless person hawking the left over bottles that didn’t fit to strangers on the pier. Fortunately, I didn’t need a vendors license, since I was giving them away, not selling them!

Several folks said, “oh they aren’t going to let you have those on board” and I know every time I try, there is a distinct possibility, I’ll be out the 6 to 9 bucks I paid for my case of water, but it’s worth a try because it’s so convenient not having to fill my refillable bottle from glasses at the windjammer every morning, and having it cold and tight in the cabin when we need it. Once we had the bag full and tagged with one of our luggage tags, we returned to the luggage drop off, put it in the corner with the other luggage waiting to board and hoped for the best. (It arrived without incident with the rest of our bags)

After our recon missions, we stayed to the left side of the check in line where we passed through “re security” (this is a streamline entry for people who already have their sea pass card. Our sea pass card, id and bags were all checked) We by passed by the check in line (and being old salts, we also bypassed the boarding photo lines) and made our way to the seating area. It was only about 1/3 full at 10:30 AM and just as our fannies hit the seats, they started announcing they would begin boarding, pinnacle C&A members and suite guests first, Diamond and Diamond + next, other C&A folks next then by group numbers.

We were on board and relaxing in the solarium by 11 AM.

Thanks so much for the detailed embarkation info. We were in lines for hours on our last cruise and I wish to avoid that. I think getting there earlier will help and being a C&A member.. I hope!

:)Great Review!!

Oh! How was room service? Or did you use it?

Dear Boston,

I love you.

PS - Any chance of posting compasses? And I totally understand if you don't. I'm selfish not to do it myself but always appreciate others.

As a native Texan, thank you for the kind words. We have always noticed the differences in the passenger demographics on Galveston cruises. There will always be a few jerks but by and large, it is a friendly, more laid back group. This has been validated by MANY crew members over the years. Please come back - April through November/early December is usually good weather.

What did you think of Gaido's?

Thanks so much for the detailed embarkation info. We were in lines for hours on our last cruise and I wish to avoid that. I think getting there earlier will help and being a C&A member.. I hope!

:)Great Review!!

Oh! How was room service? Or did you use it?

Oh, I forgot to mention that under Dining! Oh, we had an epic fail with room service breakfast! We had an early excursion, and ordered for the whole 1/2 hour before we needed to leave at 8:30 for delivery in the 7:30- 8:00 slot. It didn’t show up, they called at 8:05 saying it was on the way, effectively freezing us in the cabin. At 8:20 we had to dash to the WJ and grab food we could eat in hand and finish on the stairs before we bonged out for the day; bananas and boiled egg. We never heard from them with an apology or anything about it afterwards. We had only ordered continental, so there wasn’t a charge for that. But we also never got it!

*note, RC does charge a delivery fee for hot breakfast on Room Service, but not for continental (cold stuff)*

The two days prior they showed up with only the cold continental stuff after we ordered and were charged for the hot breakfast. 5 minutes later they came back with a double hot breakfast order!

So my overall grade is D- and very unreliable, we would not use them again! Don’t count on it!

Dear Boston,

I love you.

PS - Any chance of posting compasses? And I totally understand if you don't. I'm selfish not to do it myself but always appreciate others.

As a native Texan, thank you for the kind words. We have always noticed the differences in the passenger demographics on Galveston cruises. There will always be a few jerks but by and large, it is a friendly, more laid back group. This has been validated by MANY crew members over the years. Please come back - April through November/early December is usually good weather.

What did you think of Gaido's?

Aww, you are so sweet! I’m glad the reviews are helpful, and we did notice a difference from FL ports!

I will try to post the compasses as JPEG Pictures, I just have to scan them, and have been sooo busy this week. Not that I’m complaining, but unpacking, doing the rentery in the midst of multiple snowstorms, and I have less than 30 days till my Zumba cruise on Navigator! (I know heartbreaking, :')really! ) I do promise to get them up there!

Gaidos- we loved it! It felt Ike we were really visiting a GI institution. The historical pictures all around the room were interesting, like visiting a GI museum! Even if you don’t go for dinner, go in for a drink to see those displays!

And the food was excellent! Im a fussy NE seafood girl with high standards and they were met! It wasn’t the same as my Maine seafood, but rather had a unique “Texas gulf” approach, which I loved! I like that although the restaurant had a long history, the food was inventive and well done. This isn’t a place resting on its laurels or only catering to the same “old”crowd, with the same old food. It’s a living thing, trying our new stuff along with the old favorites, with the diplomas of the young chefs in the family from the culinary institute proudly posted on the walls!

I’m only sorry I didn’t go hungrier, but Our 2 pm lunch at Salsas included locally made chips and burrito as big as my head. I don’t think you are allowed to go hungry in Texas! :')

1- Some Texas rule makes it so that there are only certain kinds of alcohol you can order until the ship sails out to sea. This means offerings are limited when you board, even if you have the unlimited package. It appeared we were being offered beers and possibly wine. If that matters to you, check it out first before choosing this port of departure!

2- If you buy booze on board or in port to bring home, you are now subject to Texas taxes when you return. Again, I don’t know the specifics, but my cabin neighbors were packing multiple bottle of Ciroc on their way home, thinking they were half price. I’m afraid some recent regulations are going to catch them by surprise when they reach customs. If you are a person who buys booze or cigarettes on board, be sure to research this before choosing this port of departure.

1. Welcome to Texas, where the Alcoholic Beverage Commission has its own police force, and the laws are set up to a) collect taxes and b) protect the middleman (beverage distributor) at all costs. So every bottle that is served in Texas has to be purchased from an licensed distributor and have a tax stamp on it. As a result the cruise lines have a limited menu of beer and well drinks that are okay to sell in Texas, and these are served from when you board until they hit international waters.

Texas collects 6.7% of gross receipts on mixed drinks and an 8.25% sales tax on mixed drinks. They would also collect tax on the mandatory gratuity if it were 20% or higher, so be happy that you only pay 18% on board... These taxes are rolled into your drink price so both Royal and Carnival limit their Texas booze to things with a high profit margin so they can pay the state and still make money.

Royal will serve you Texas booze on a drink package while in "Texas." Carnival waits until day 2 before they start their drink packages.

2. Here are the tax rates for booze and cigarettes. Add to that a $3 administrative fee. This applies to everything you come back to Texas with, whether purchased in port, on board, or at duty free. This tax is in addition to what you might pay in duties to US Customs; you stop and pay the TABC after you visit CBP. There are limits to how much you can personally import within 30 days. The average cruiser isn't going to exceed these limits; that part of the law is intended to protect the distributors/wholesalers. The actual tax you might pay bringing in a bottle of booze isn't that much ($3.25 on a 750 ml bottle, $1.50/pack of smokes) but this state is going to get every nickel they can get.

Texas has no state income tax, so this is how they extract their pound of flesh. Despite the claims in every state politician's campaign ads, nobody rides for free. We get screwed with property taxes and sin taxes up the wazoo instead.

But we are a friendly bunch. You'll make more friends on board hanging out in the hot tub sailing out of Galveston than you will out of any other port. Nobody is a stranger in this state, and people are nice to you even when they don't want anything out of you.

I am really enjoying your review! I cruised on Liberty of the Seas last year and it was one of my favorite cruises. I agree with your comments about the people. Texans are very friendly and it's definitely one of the perks of cruising out of Galveston. My husband and I really liked the layout of the ship, the food, and the shows.

Thanks for posting such a detailed review.

DH, DD (8) and I are sailing on Liberty 4/1 (Easter!). As a family, we have had a rough go of things over the past year, and poor DD just broke her wrist skiing on Sunday. This cruise can't come fast enough!

I am loving your review. It helps pass the time until embarkation :D

Off to a good start :)

The ship can only sell alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) purchased in Texas while in Texas waters, so Royal tries to keep that to a minimum as I bet they pay less elsewhere.

Texas import duty for booze is minimal, not so for cigarettes.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

Quantities: https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/how_much_can_i_bring_back.asp

Good information - thank you for sharing!

This review is not only revving me up for my March 30 Serenade Cruise ( which I now wish was on Liberty), but it’s making me want to sail out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Welcome to Texas, where the Alcoholic Beverage Commission has its own police force, and the laws are set up to a) collect taxes and b) protect the middleman (beverage distributor) at all costs. So every bottle that is served in Texas has to be purchased from an licensed distributor and have a tax stamp on it. As a result the cruise lines have a limited menu of beer and well drinks that are okay to sell in Texas, and these are served from when you board until they hit international waters.

Texas collects 6.7% of gross receipts on mixed drinks and an 8.25% sales tax on mixed drinks. They would also collect tax on the mandatory gratuity if it were 20% or higher, so be happy that you only pay 18% on board... These taxes are rolled into your drink price so both Royal and Carnival limit their Texas booze to things with a high profit margin so they can pay the state and still make money.

Royal will serve you Texas booze on a drink package while in "Texas." Carnival waits until day 2 before they start their drink packages.

2. Here are the tax rates for booze and cigarettes. Add to that a $3 administrative fee. This applies to everything you come back to Texas with, whether purchased in port, on board, or at duty free. This tax is in addition to what you might pay in duties to US Customs; you stop and pay the TABC after you visit CBP. There are limits to how much you can personally import within 30 days. The average cruiser isn't going to exceed these limits; that part of the law is intended to protect the distributors/wholesalers. The actual tax you might pay bringing in a bottle of booze isn't that much ($3.25 on a 750 ml bottle, $1.50/pack of smokes) but this state is going to get every nickel they can get.

Texas has no state income tax, so this is how they extract their pound of flesh. Despite the claims in every state politician's campaign ads, nobody rides for free. We get screwed with property taxes and sin taxes up the wazoo instead.

But we are a friendly bunch. You'll make more friends on board hanging out in the hot tub sailing out of Galveston than you will out of any other port. Nobody is a stranger in this state, and people are nice to you even when they don't want anything out of you.

Very helpful info!! I'm not going to point fingers because we have a pretty strong ABC in MA too who do a lot of strong arm...er I mean "lobbying", and I'm sure they aren't nearly as polite about it, so maybe its good they aren't armed!;)

I am really enjoying your review! I cruised on Liberty of the Seas last year and it was one of my favorite cruises. I agree with your comments about the people. Texans are very friendly and it's definitely one of the perks of cruising out of Galveston. My husband and I really liked the layout of the ship, the food, and the shows.

Thanks for posting such a detailed review.

Thanks you so much! Liberty was so fun, we really enjoyed the ship...but I do need to comment on the condition in the next post about boarding...it's very well loved! I guess so many families on board are hard on the ship? I mean I'm looking at my kitchen right now, with just one extra kid home for spring break! :rolleyes:

I have read several of your previous reviews, and have enjoyed every one of them! I'm looking forward to following along with this one! :D

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED your reviews!!!

Yeah! Fans!! :') Thanks so much, I appreciate that people enjoy them and find them useful! I miss engaging with the RCL board...everyone is so responsive, my last couple of reviews were on AZ, and people read them, but you don't get the interaction, which I really like! I'm so glad you take the time to read and enjoy!!

DH, DD (8) and I are sailing on Liberty 4/1 (Easter!). As a family, we have had a rough go of things over the past year, and poor DD just broke her wrist skiing on Sunday. This cruise can't come fast enough!

I am loving your review. It helps pass the time until embarkation :D

NOOOO! This isn't going to keep her off the water slides is it? :loudcry::loudcry: Poor thing, hope shes better soon!

This review is not only revving me up for my March 30 Serenade Cruise ( which I now wish was on Liberty), but it’s making me want to sail out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol, do not fear the fog! Hey, here is how I looked at it...there was a 50/50 chance the fog would EXTEND my cruise, that seemed like a damn good gamble!:')

Welcome On Board Liberty of the Seas

167129814.jpg

After our successful mission to Cruise Stop, we on board and ready to relax! A couple of things we noticed on board...

Officers and crew

Interestingly, this cruise was one where I felt I saw the LEAST of the senior officers and Cruise director mingling with passengers. Maybe we just ran in different circles, (probably we spent too much time on that gorgeous balcony!)

I thought it as interesting that we had a “scavenger hunt” left in our cabin encouraging us to get the signatures of various senior staff and crew members in order to win a prize, but then I felt like I saw less of them anywhere, including in some of the traditional spots such as the welcome and farewell shows. Now I have to admit I did not go to the captains gala (Captain James MacDonald] on the promenade (it’s not like I’d expect a lot of one on one time with the captain there!)and we didn't spend much time in the diamond lounge, but that’s our usual habits and we’ve seen officers more frequently on other ships out and about.

That said, everything ran very smoothly, so everyone was obviously doing their jobs! Crew was not only responsive but proactive, which I love to see! When I was looking a bit puzzled at the coffee stations looking for hot water, I was greeted immediately with a waiter asking if I needed something. I thanked him for approaching me and giving the kind of service usually reserved for higher end cruises with lower staff to passenger ratios. Likewise, my room steward noticed the empty hand lotion bottle in the trash and replaced it in our room, without my having to request more lotion. Crew overall was friendly and responsive, we had some nice chats with crew in Johnny Rockets and at the ship's shops.

Condition of the ship

This was a bit surprising, because we understood the ship was recently refurbished, but the rugs were stained, clean, but stained, or they were made to look like they are always faded and stained in order to "fool the eye"? I'm not sure, but the rug in our cabin definitely had a big nasty stain right by the balcony door. We also noticed that things made out of chip board in the cabin (like the bath cabinets) were starting to chip. Everything was kept clean, and was in good working condition, but things did look stained and tired.

As I stated in a post earlier, there are a lot of families on board, and let's face it, kids are hard on things. If you have a houseful, look around, you'll see how they impact the place! (or is that just my house? :'))

167129815.jpg

We settled into the Solarium, enjoying one of the 4 hanging bench swings, while we waited for the cabins to open.

167131194.jpg

Thanks for the review! We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas next month. This is our first time on RCCL...we have always sailed Carnival, so I have been looking for reviews to see how to go about seeing shows (do we need reservations) and what options there are for breakfast/lunch and dinner. Enjoying getting to see what the ship looks like before we get onboard.

If you are a newbie to this boarding thing...here are some tips. (if you aren't a newbie and don't read this, you risk missing some lame jokes!:'))

167131180.jpg

1. Carry your ID and set sail pass in your hand or a super accessible pocket on your carry on...DO NOT leave these in your checked bags at the pier, because you can’t board without this and they may not be able to locate your bags quickly! (do not let them fall out of your pocket and fall on the family room floor in the predawn darkness, miss your flight and wake your parents with a frantic 3 AM call...oh wait, that's just our kids!:rolleyes:)
  2. If you want to change into your bathing suit or cooler clothes, pack those in your carry on too. Your room won’t be available till 1 pm but you’ll be able to change in one of the rest rooms and hit the pools or hot tubs right away!
  3. Don't pack your pills or valuables in your checked luggage, keep these with your hand luggage in case your check luggage takes a while to arrive (or very rarely, gets lost all together) (this is very very rare, I've cruised so many times and never lost a bag on board for longer than it takes security to determine that all those bottles in my bag are IN FACT sunscreen) ( Hey, I'm Irish!):')
  4. I like to pack something I wouldn’t mind wearing to dinner on day 1 just in case luggage is delayed. This has almost never happened to me in 25 years of cruising, but it’s a habit that makes me feel better, just in case!

Thanks for the review! We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas next month. This is our first time on RCCL...we have always sailed Carnival, so I have been looking for reviews to see how to go about seeing shows (do we need reservations) and what options there are for breakfast/lunch and dinner. Enjoying getting to see what the ship looks like before we get onboard.

I'm not here to Carnival bash, but literally every person we met off the Carnival Breeze in Galveston panned it, before I even asked! They said food was meh, not much in the buffet except burgers and pizza, and entertainment was not interesting.

On your Royal cruise, you have lots of "free" options. The Main Dining room, either pick a "seating" with a set time (early or late) or My Time Dining and go when you like or make a reservation for a time before you sail. Windjammer Cafe, which I described under dining and offered lots of options every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Jade is a section of the WJ cafe, also free. Sorrentos, which is pizza and some salads, Promenade Cafe which is sandwiches and pastry. The specialty restaurants for extra fee are Chops (steak) Giovanni's (Italian) and Sabor (Mexican) Johnny Rockets (burgers and soda fountain) and cupcake cupboard (cupcakes)

I mentioned shows in the earlier section, all are included in your fare, and I think are well worth seeing! No reservations needed! Turn up 10-15 minutes prior to get 2 seats together in a good area, 15-20 minutes prior to get a big group of seats in a good area. If you aren't fussy where you sit, show up ten minutes in advance and you'll find a seat somewhere!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Did Jade have sushi?

Not a whole lot that I noticed, it was all out on a buffet in the JADE section, no one was actively rolling sushi, but there were a few trays every day. One night they have a raw bar in the WJ, that was very popular! Crab legs, shrimp cocktails, clams and oysters etc!

Our Cabin 7408 Aft Corner

167129820.jpg

This is a regular cabin, maybe a bit smaller than some with only a little couch, but the balcony wraps around the aft where you can see those big "port hole" openings. We are quite fussy about our cabins...we picked the aft corner, for 3 of us, but our daughter was not able to join us at the last minute, because she was starting a new job. We kept the cabin by paying her fare even though she couldn't make it. For us, that balcony was worth the extra cost, even when we learned she couldn't join us. We will try again in 2020...she will have been working longer and should be able to join us then! (note that hubby used the "fisheye" lens to get these photos, so the walls are not *actually* bowing outwards!)

167129886.jpg

167129890.jpg

167129837.jpg

I'm not here to Carnival bash, but literally every person we met off the Carnival Breeze in Galveston panned it, before I even asked! They said food was meh, not much in the buffet except burgers and pizza, and entertainment was not interesting.

On your Royal cruise, you have lots of "free" options. The Main Dining room, either pick a "seating" with a set time (early or late) or My Time Dining and go when you like or make a reservation for a time before you sail. Windjammer Cafe, which I described under dining and offered lots of options every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Jade is a section of the WJ cafe, also free. Sorrentos, which is pizza and some salads, Promenade Cafe which is sandwiches and pastry. The specialty restaurants for extra fee are Chops (steak) Giovanni's (Italian) and Sabor (Mexican) Johnny Rockets (burgers and soda fountain) and cupcake cupboard (cupcakes)

I mentioned shows in the earlier section, all are included in your fare, and I think are well worth seeing! No reservations needed! Turn up 10-15 minutes prior to get 2 seats together in a good area, 15-20 minutes prior to get a big group of seats in a good area. If you aren't fussy where you sit, show up ten minutes in advance and you'll find a seat somewhere!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Not a whole lot that I noticed, it was all out on a buffet in the JADE section, no one was actively rolling sushi, but there were a few trays every day. One night they have a raw bar in the WJ, that was very popular! Crab legs, shrimp cocktails, clams and oysters etc!

I am very interested in this. How do you know which night?

So just because I can't help myself and because I'm not nearly as polite at the folks from Texas, I am going to tell the newbies where to go!

(:')Not like that, I’m just friendly and helpful, and would like to give you some ideas about what to do when you first board! A large ship can be an overwhelming place at first and having a plan can make it easier and get your business out of the way do you can relax and enjoy your cruise!)

167129942.jpg

Not all towels are destined to become monkeys!

Where to Go After Boarding

1. Got kids? Get 'em anarm band right away. Should your kids be in a program and the emergency alarmsounds, that band will ensure the staff gets your children to you at the musterstation. You go there, they go there, everyone is together, no hysterical,frantic searching.
  2. Got drinks? If youwant a package, there are plenty of opportunities to do that now, you literallycannot walk 5 feet without a table, a tee shirt, a server, a tent card, abillboard, or an airplane trailing a banner offering you the opportunity to getyour beverage package (ok. Maybe those last two are slight exaggerations) Hint hint,you should be buying it advance online at a discount. Wait till they send youemails offering a percentage off the packages before your cruise and then takeadvantage of the sale)
  3. Got reservations?If you want to make dining reservations for specialty restaurants, go to any ofthe restaurants or dining rooms and you can sign up there for everywhere. Youcan also go see your table if you have traditional dining.Hint hint, discounts are offered online before sailing for multi night and first night packages.
  4. Get a towel. Notall towels will be made into monkeys. You’ll need a couple of blue pool towelsfor your deck chair, and excursions. Get a couple per person now, checking themout with your sea pass and you’ll have them when you need them. When they getdrippy, change them out for fresh ones at stand at the pool deck.
  5. Hit the buffet. Ahh, now you are ready to relax, and possibly eat. The Wind Jammer will be openand busy! Other venues are open, and might be less crowded, but you have toinvestigate each one in person, since what was published in the compass was notcorrect when we boarded (For instance, Sorrento's was advertised as open at 11 and was notopen even after 11:30.)
  6. Grab a deck chair.By the pools if you have kiddos, in the solarium if you don’t. You don't need to hold it all day! There are loads of chairs everywhere, no need to hosey one with your towel, when it's so easy to find another later! Also, if you have kiddos, do they really EACH need a chair? Especially when they spend so much time IN the pool they turn pruney and the pool turns yellowy? Really, I found one chair for me and one for the "kids" to dump there stuff on and for hubby to perch on while watching them in the pool was plenty, I couldn't get them out of the pool anyway!
  7. Hit the bars. Evenif you’ve purchased an all inclusive drink package, options are limited to products bought in Texas by the cruise line during thefirst day in the port of Galveston. I’m not going to pretend to understand thepolitics of it, but only certain refreshments are offered until the ship hitsthe open water. You can check out posts by our Texas friends earlier on this thread to get the specifics!
  8. Get a room! At 1pm an announcement will be made and you can hit your cabin. Your attendant willstop by, make any special requests you have (mini bar, ice, extra towels, etc)and I always like to let them know when they can expect me to be at dinner sothey can plan out their work days a bit.
  9. Get your #*&* tothe muster. Come on, no one loves muster, but it’s a must, (which is maybe why they call it muster? Or maybe not!) and everyone hateswaiting for that one person who shows up late and makes everyone else stand inthe blazing sun single file waiting for them. Go on time, you only need yoursea pass in hand and to shut your yap, put your phone in your pocket and listen,the rest is easy! Muster was 3:30 PM on our cruise. Everyone was on time and polite...but you were expecting that weren't you!;)
  10. After this bit ofcompulsory activity, the rest of the week is yours. Do, or don’t do, there isno requirement, just this Yoda-like advice

So tomorrow I will share more about our first day at sea! Thanks to everyone who is following along! Hope I got to all your questions!